Water Pump

parryhandy

We had some work done and the builder left the water pump set up in such a way that when we have no electric we have no water.The water pressure was not that bad without the pump downstairs, so how do I set it up so it only pumps when the pressure is low and we still have water when the pump is off ?

post-3823-1267067742_thumb.jpg

behind me is the big blue water tank

post-3823-1267067899_thumb.jpg

then it feeds straight into the pump and out then straight into the house.

1.What do I need to do and what parts do I need.

2.Also at the moment when water is being used the pump cycles on /off for 10 secs, is this normal ? the water pressure is always ok and constant.

It should be fairly easy to do. Just cut a tee into the 1/2” line before the the pump then pipe it around the pump and cut a tee into the pressure side. Don’t forget to install a check valve in this by-pass line or call the installer back to do the job properly. It might be a good idea the protect that electrical plug from rain.

Edited by bkkbill

thanks guys

is that pump valve 2 a non return valve ?

and whats that pressure tank, is it part of my pump already ?

PV's 1 and 2 are normally isolation valves for pump maintenance (motor burnout, blockage, etc)

Non Return Valve is at the bottom of Crossy's diagram. This is the new valve you need.

The pressure tank is normally fairly close to the pump -- it might be contained within the pump housing/casing. It appears it is not working properly, which is what maybe causing your second problem. This has been covered in other threads recently.

Thanks

So when i run a tap the water pump should run continuously ? like I said before the pressure seems to be consistent even though the pump is cycling.

Also if I set it up as above the pump will only activate sometimes ? (the water tank is 5-6 ft tall).

Thanks

So when i run a tap the water pump should run continuously ? like I said before the pressure seems to be consistent even though the pump is cycling.

Also if I set it up as above the pump will only activate sometimes ? (the water tank is 5-6 ft tall).

Dear ParryHandy

The pump cycles to maintain pressure in the pressure tank, which acts as a buffer to maintain constant pressure at your taps.

If you lose power to your pump, the pressure in the pressure tank will be 0 and the head pressure from the storage tank will bypass the pump to supply water to your taps..........hope I haven't made things worse...now my head hurts...going back to sleep.

but should it cycle ?

Yes, it should switch off at the Hi presure setting, and on again at the Lo pressure setting. What are these readings? There should be a small pressure guage on the system, possibly inside the pump housing/casing. For safety reasons the pressure tank will normally have a rupture disc (max pressure rating should be written on it somewhere)

Do you have a diagram of your pipework? Is the pump feeding a header tank in your attic? How many floors in the house? (You mentioned the pressure downstairs was ok, which indicates a tank at high level somewhere - although this could be a municipal water tower)

When i turn a tap on the pump operates for 5 secs then off then 5secs then on so on so on, is this ok ?

Our set up is mains to big blue tank on the floor - pump - house -nothing else. We rented the house next door but one and the water pressure was ok downstairs when the pump broke.

Edited by parryhandy

When i turn a tap on the pump operates for 5 secs then off then 5secs then on so on so on, is this ok ?

Our set up is mains to big blue tank on the floor - pump - house -nothing else. We rented the house next door but one and the water pressure was ok downstairs when the pump broke.

There was another post dealing with the same question not so long ago.

Had a look for it but couldnt find it, maybe Crossy can hook us up with a link.

Sounds to me as if you need to bleed the pressure tank.

I have to do the same about every 6 weeks or so, pump starts cycling on and off (similair to what you mention) instead of one continuos cycle.

Nothing to it, turn pump off at the mains, close the inlet valve, unscrew both caps, one on top and the other at the bottom close to the outlet pipe, watch out when unscrewing the top cap, there will still be some pressure in the tank.

Allow all water to drain, takes about 3 or 4 minutes on mine to drain completely empty.

Screw both caps back in place, take care not to cross thread, turn on inlet valve, turn back on at the mains.

Pump will run for a few seconds as tank fills, should be problem solved, for a few weeks or so.

Thanks will try that in the morning.

Just 2 more questions.Somebody advised this

Ideally your pump should be fitted with an isolating valve on the inlet pipe to the pump and the outlet pipe leading to the house. Close both of these valves and drain the tank - replace the drain plug and then open the 2 valves, this gives you an air cushion in the tank. You might need to reprime the pump prior to start-up but this is done thru the priming port.

There is a isolating valve between the tank and pump but none between the pump and house ?

Also if I T around the pump as explained above will the pump only come on when the pressure from the water tank is not enough ?

Edited by parryhandy

The only thing that happens by by-passing your pump as in Crossy’s drawing is you will have water when you have no electricity isn’t that what you were asking in the original post.

I see by your last picture this has not been done. And yes the pump does cycle when in use.

• 2 weeks later...