Thai Immigration Goes Online

george

Immigration goes online

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau today announced that it was preparing to replace its antiquated file system with an online data system in all 54 of Thailand's immigration checkpoints.

The old file system will give way to an online system aimed at speeding up immigration proceedings and preventing the use of fake travel documents.

Pol. Lt. Gen. Amarin Niemsakul, Head of the Immigration Bureau, told reporters that the new system would allow foreigners to extend their visas without having to request an extension from immigration personnel.

He noted that the new system would help prevent bribery and corruption.

The first online system will be introduced at the Chiang Mai International Airport tomorrow, and at the Phuket and Don Muang International Airport on 1 June.

The system will be up and running in all 54 immigration checkpoints by the end of next year.

--TNA 2005-05-13

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome, welcome, wicked, kewl, full on, groovy, love it, dig-git, 'bout time and SOOT-YACHT!

i, 4 one, welcome anything that makes the process more consistent, even if it disallows some of the "benefits" of the past.

they still have a better walk-in system at soi suan plu then the american embassy does on whittayu, and now things should be even more betterer.............. :D

thailand rulz

:o

Immigration goes online 

Pol. Lt. Gen. Amarin Niemsakul, Head of the Immigration Bureau, told reporters that the new system would allow foreigners to extend their visas without having to request an extension from immigration personnel.

--TNA 2005-05-13

How?

do they get their supporting evidence online, without submission to an official?

Bank letter?

Bank book?

Wedding certficate?

Wife's tabien baan?

And what? no more photocopies?

I remain to be convinced....... :o

Immigration goes online 

--TNA 2005-05-13

How?

do they get their supporting evidence online, without submission to an official?

Bank letter?

Bank book?

Wedding certficate?

Wife's tabien baan?

And what? no more photocopies?

I remain to be convinced....... :o

maybe a one year extension of stay will still require going in, other extensions for tourist visas will be processed remotely

Will they allow the 90-day reporting of your address online., especially as it doesn't require back-up paperwork.

I do wonder though, if you get an online extension on a tourist visa - will they really not look at the stamp on your passport if the system goes down when you're exiting the country. (and then - where's your extension stamp? - please pay your overstay fee...)

Its sound like a very good idea. I am sure that in the Thai way the, intention is good hearted and well intended. Thus I shall wait and see what its like before forming an opinion. It will certain prevent less frustration for the foreigner, and maintain good face for the Thai immigration officer who does not have to deal with the foreigner who may not be familiar with the Thai culture. A win win all round if it delivers :o

Edited by MaiChai

Its sound like a very good idea. I am sure that in the Thai way the, intention is good hearted and well intended. Thus I shall wait and see what its like before forming an opinion.  It will certain prevent less frustration for the foreigner, and maintain good face for the Thai immigration officer who does not have to deal with the foreigner who may not be familiar with the Thai culture. A win win all round if it delivers :o

Let's just get the system working, then we will find ways to get the things done we want, it surely can't be any worse than what we have now :D

Cannot you PEOPLE READ THE NEWS CORRECTLY HERE????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheeeeeeeeeesh

It say Immigration will go on line of course BUT IT IS FOR THEIR OWN COMMUNICATION NETWORK BETWEEN THEMSELVES.

Say you went to Mae Sot and did your visa run. Next run you leave the country or go to some other checkpoint leave and enter.

This system is for Immigration to be able to TRACK YOUR MOVEMENTS AND WHEN YOU LEAVE AND ENTER, thus streamlining the Visa Paper work. When you leave the country, they enter it into their Database, and when you return they Enter it into their Database.

This information will be compiled in a more streamline way for them to be able to cross check your identity, alone with any WARRANTS, or PERSONA NON GRATA, or any INTERNATIONAL WARRANTS AND CRIMES and also BACKGROUND CHECKS ON THE PEOPLE HERE.

DIG THAT MAN, so now they are getting close to like they do in America, in getting to know who in the heck is in THAILAND.

We still have to do the Visa Runs, and also do the application processes as before but it will not take half as long now that they are streamlining their database system plus such also any and all payments will have to be recorded to the main system which prevents bribery and corruption, and of course you will be GIVEN A RECEIPT OF YOUR PAYMENT AS THEIR WAY OF SAYING Khop Khun Khop (Thank You along with their STAMP.

Daveyo

In other words, they simply ran out of ROOM DOING THE PAPER SHUFFLE!!!!!!!!!

They have tons of paper reams all over the place and it has totally gotten out of hand, due to the number of people going to and from Thailand and of course knowing also who is staying here. If you don't believe me, be my guest and go to the Immigration Building in Bangkok and go to the Visa Department and take a look around. They have stacks of papers and files upon files with no end in sight lined up against all the walls from the floor to the top of the ceiling whereever there is space available and it is about maybe now 2 or 3 rows deep.

Whew. No wonder they cannot find you. Hehehehehehehehe.

Daveyo

Edited by DaveYo

DaveYo, I'm confused about this one, do you know what he means with that?

DaveYo, I'm confused about this one, do you know what he means with that?

Think about what you just asked me here. You still need to get that STAMP ON YOUR PASSPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which means you still need to appear in PERSON.

You most certainly CANNOT DO THAT ONLINE.

So why not ask a THAI PERSON this question. This is a Thai Statement is it not??????

The only way I see possible this happening, is you maybe can download the necessary forms, and have it filled out and you send such forms in along your Passport for them to process such. However they have not indicated that in their announcement. Similar of we can do in USA> now. The next biggie of a question is HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE THEM TO DO SUCH AND GUARANTEE IT'S SAFE RETURN????????? I don't see such being mentioned here. In the meantime what do we do while we are not without a passport????????? According to Thai Law we have to have the Passport with us at all times.

????????????

So it's back to square one........................ If they know which happens to be square one.

The announcement is extremely very vague and what was said by them is full of many unanswered questions of HOW, WHERE, and WHAT.

So I have a strong feeling this announcement is really only for the Thai Immigrations telling us that they simply are streamlining their Database system, and not for foreigners (currently at the moment) to extend visa's on line. This I don't think is possible because you still need to obtain their stamp on your passport and the only way possible is doing it in person.

Daveyo

Dr. PP and GEORGE

Can you get this announcement CLARIFIED and more specific in its explanation of precisely HOW IS ONE GOING TO GET THEIR VISA'S EXTENDED ON LINE AND STILL GET """"""""THEIR""""""""" IMMIGRATIONS STAMP ON OUR PASSPORTS!!!!!!!

I think that person mis-stated his explanation or it got translated the wrong way.

DAVEYO

Actually, you don't need that stamp. If the system is online the stamp can be updated whenever you next go to immigration.

Visas have a number, this can be entered, cross checked with data that they hold and a receipt can be printed. Payment can be with debit or credit card. Voila!

Edited by valentinoxxx

Dr. PP and GEORGE

Can you get this announcement CLARIFIED and more specific in its explanation of precisely HOW IS ONE GOING TO GET THEIR VISA'S EXTENDED ON LINE AND STILL GET """"""""THEIR""""""""" IMMIGRATIONS STAMP ON OUR PASSPORTS!!!!!!!

I think that person mis-stated his explanation or it got translated the wrong way.

DAVEYO

Can you stop shouting, or you get an obvious break from things which you apparently are in need of ??? :o

Is this the new system that was made by & paid for by the Americans??? If it is then I see no reason why it should'nt work provided that the people who are using it are properly trained.  :o

I don't know if you've been following the news but it seems all the billions we put into our security ie: airports etc..in the States is worthless so they'll need a few billion more to make improvements. :D

Actually, you don't need that stamp. If the system is online the stamp can be updated whenever you next go to immigration.

Visas have a number, this can be entered, cross checked with data that they hold and a receipt can be printed. Payment can be with debit or credit card. Voila!

Try to explain this to the officer examining your passport when you get caught up in one of those raids at Q-Bar...

In other words, they simply ran out of ROOM DOING THE PAPER SHUFFLE!!!!!!!!!

They have tons of paper reams all over the place and it has totally gotten out of hand, due to the number of people going to and from Thailand and of course knowing also who is staying here.  If you don't believe me, be my guest and go to the Immigration Building in Bangkok and go to the Visa Department and take a look around.  They have stacks of papers and files upon files with no end in sight lined up against all the walls from the floor to the top of the ceiling whereever there is space available and it is about maybe now 2 or 3 rows deep.

Whew.  No wonder they cannot find you. Hehehehehehehehe.

Daveyo

Why aren't you on an extended visa Dave ? It'd have to beat the regular border runs :o

It has probably lost a bit in the editing/translating process.

My guess is that we shall still have to go to Nong Khai, or wherever, with our documents; but that Nong Khai (being then on-line) will be able to get the OK from Bangkok HQ there and then.

This will be a great advance. At present, Nong Khai takes all the documents to send to Bangkok HQ and tells you to come back (in person) in a month. Then, when you do so, they tell you that the approval hasn't yet come through from Bangkok HQ and that you must come back in another month.

Hopefully, with this new system, the present 'three trips to Nong Khai every year' will be replaced by just the one annual trip.

Don't u guys think that its too early to start commenting on things. Afterall most of us are living in thailand for long time and we do know the understanding of english they possess. anyways any commenst so early are just blufs and passtime. lets wait n watch.

Vivek

Come to think of it, Thai immigration doesn't have computers at the arrival desk. In most other countries, they put your passport through a scanner and the database recognizes the number, etc.

We need new terminology, such as "Fourth World country."