5 Star Dinner At Favola -- Meridien Hotel

Oneman

Steak in the Italian restaurant, Favola, in the Meridien hotel ... That was the best steak I have had in Thailand. Costly no doubt about it, but great taste.

I went there earlier this week for dinner.

Easily 5 stars in all directions.

The hotel and restaurant have been open for two years, but it was my first time there.

Here's a brief report for those who enjoy fine dining.

On arrival, you'll see the open kitchen: perfectly clean and organized -- suggests confidence in the food preparation.

Refreshing towel as soon as you sit down -- just like first class airplane.

If eating alone, waitress offers a selection of newspapers -- just like first class.

But one jarring note: post-modern jazz on the sound system -- and slightly too loud, as the Thais tend to do.

As soon as you order, waitress changes the cutlery to fit your order.

Bread served quickly: five kinds of bread -- served warm, perfectly fresh.

But the breads are bland -- I expect they are from a commercial mix.

And with the bread, three kinds of spreads, also bland -- next time I'll ask for real butter.

My test of any Italian restaurant is the minestrone soup.

At Favola it is unlike any other I've ever tasted.

The flavor is subtle and sublime, not over-loaded with oregano as often in minestrone soups.

White beans with light flavor, rather than red kidney beans.

Broth and vegetables and beans are served in a unique way; separate arrangement in the same bowl.

I was very impressed with that soup.

My top two choices for dinner were prawn risotto and grilled trout (from the Royal Project).

I selected the trout, only to be told it is available only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Okay, something to look forward to next time, besides the steak recommended above by Mickmac.

I was very pleased with the risotto.

Waitress asked how I wanted it cooked -- that's normal with pasta, but not so common with risotto.

I asked for soft, and a good thing, because it came slightly "al dente".

So if you like risotto soft, be sure to emphasize that when you order.

In addition to the expected prawns in the risotto, there was a pile of grilled prawns on top as well.

And unless they fooled my taste buds, those prawns had the distinct flavor of charcoal grilling, not a gas grill taste.

My dessert was cannoli -- Sicilian cheese rolls.

These were made in pastry tubes with a delicate, chocolate flavor.

And served with a scoop of hazelnut ice cream in a sesame pastry cup.

Sounds like too much, but that combination of flavors was a perfect ending to the meal.

Everything at Favola was elegantly presented -- although I don't care for oversize plates, and the plates were really huge.

Service was eager, but slow and a little haphazard -- waitress waited for me to call, rather than anticipating what was needed.

For example, after finishing the soup, I had to ask for the next course.

My drink was never refilled from the bottle to the glass.

A refill of ice was not offered, but when I asked for more ice, it was delivered promptly.

So, service was not up to this level of dining, but, "mai-pen-rai", this is Thailand and with food of this caliber one must never hurry.

Music was not only too loud, the selection was unpleasant -- some jazz, but mostly a-tonal noise that never settled into a smooth rhythm.

It detracted from the meal.

My meal of soup, risotto, and dessert was 978 bath net-net -- no alcohol.

I was not trying to be economical, but that would be a minimum food check at Favola.

An average check could easily be 1,500 per person -- plus wine and cocktails.

I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone who enjoys fine dining.

From the Internet, I learned that Favola is the brand name of Italian restaurants in various Meridien hotels in other cities.

And, from another thread, apparently there is also a Meridien-Favola in Chiang Rai.

I have no experience with any of the others, only the Chiangmai location.

Favola Restaurant

Le Meridien Hotel, second floor above the lobby.

Night Bazaar

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Make the most of it, I've heard rumours that Le Meridian will be closing sometime soon. Victims of the Army cutting short Thaksin's dream of turning Chiang Mai into a major Asian hub. Apparantly they are averaging 10 rooms a night - and this is the high season!

As no one else has said it, thanks for the review.

Hey Woody, actually I did, here, on the Chiang Rai forum.

Oneman accidentally started a thread there with his review, and then deleted it. But the title remained.

Confused me no end, as there is a Le Meridien in Chiang Rai also.

Make the most of it, I've heard rumours that Le Meridian will be closing sometime soon. Victims of the Army cutting short Thaksin's dream of turning Chiang Mai into a major Asian hub. Apparantly they are averaging 10 rooms a night - and this is the high season!

10 rooms a night! must be a ghost town in there

arh well, i suppose Mr Chang can take it over once its up for sale, unless he owns it now.

good review btw, dont think i can make it, not that keen on italian, unless its a sportscar

10 rooms a night! must be a ghost town in there

arh well, i suppose Mr Chang can take it over once its up for sale, unless he owns it now.

I think he does own it now. The land at least

• 7 months later...