Crackdown On Pattaya Beach Road Prostitutes

Rimmer

However they are not cleaning up anything and its business as usual. Crackdowns=more dosh in the BIB's pocket. Anyone who thinks different hasn't been here very long. :)

Pattaya is the jewel of Thailand, just be happy the way it is!!! :D

Edited by britmaveric

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People keep on about sex tourism.

For the "normal" tourists the sex scene is one of the major attractions; they may not indulge, but they don't half like to look! :)

Take it away and Pattaya will be that much less colourful.

For a sex tourist it would be like Disneyland without the rides.

Whatever anyone else says, I'm totally convinced that as a major tourist destination Pattaya isn't viable without the girls. It wouldn't die completely, but it would be a fraction of its former self and bring a fraction of its former income into Thailand.

In my opinion of course.

But a much nicer and a more family friendly place.

Agreed. And you never know...it could attract a different type of tourist. Somewhat like Hawaii, Greece or Bali. They don't have the sex tourism there but do really good with tourist $$$$$. NYC cleaned up it's act many years ago and it is now a way better place to visit...unless of course you are looking for girlie shows!

Yes, you named it: "Hawaii". I don't see any reason why families should spend their holidays in Pattaya (even without the girliebars). There are much better tourist destinations for families than Thailand. Sorry th say that, but true. For example Gran Canarian, Spain, Italy, Carribbean islands (to many there), All more close to Europe than Thailand, but with nicer beaches and bettter shopping oportunities and no "low life". For the Americans: Hawaii, Carribean, Key West, or Acapulco are the destinations. Families not go arround the world to Thailand when the paradise is in their front door, as all of the named tourist destinations above have much more benefits for families.

Agreed. And you never know...it could attract a different type of tourist. Somewhat like Hawaii, Greece or Bali. They don't have the sex tourism there but do really good with tourist $$$$$. NYC cleaned up it's act many years ago and it is now a way better place to visit...unless of course you are looking for girlie shows!

Greece is full of hooligan Europeans all mortally drunk, fighting and being scumbags ... Bali has plenty of hookers and ive never been to Hawaii.

Pattaya has created it own market and seems to be doing rather well judging by its rapid growth in the last 10 years.

However they are not cleaning up anything and its business as usual. Crackdowns=more dosh in the BIB's pocket. Anyone who thinks different hasn't been here very long. :)

The Jewel of Thailand, wow that is really giving it to Thailand you must really hate thailand calling Pattaya the jewel :D Maybe for the sex offenders of the world it might be.

I am somewhat amazed when I see a family cruising down Walking Street...or pretty much anywhere on Beach Road. I would never bring my 10 year old daughter here...but many do. Not too many American's though. For us, it is a LONG dang way to get here! And not cheap. Plus, many American's are afraid of traveling over here...and like said above, the Caribbean is much closer and way better. Mexico use to be a good place for us, but that has somewhat changed....

I spent a few weeks in Greece...I avoided the crazy islands...so never saw any drunk tourists. But it was nice. Bali has some hookers, but not like here! :)

The "social elite" I know of Bangkok stay away from Pattaya. It is looked upon as the armpit of Thailand by them with the shirtless, fat farangs running around and with all the beer bars in the open. They prefer to go to Hua Hin. If some of the BKK Thai families come to Pattaya for the weekend, they basically stay at a five star hotel and don't leave the resort.

I'd say there are far more similarities between Hua Hin and Pattaya than there are differences. People with any money at all would probably fly to Samui, Phuket or Krabi and stay in a nice resort. Pattaya (Jomtien), and Hua Hin, remain popular with somewhat middle class visitors and just below that level.

Overall I see a world of change happening in Pattaya, change in the direction of what Thais want Pattaya to be. You notice this in more upscale hotels, restaurants and shopping centers. Prime example would be the land where Central Festival sits on. That used to be a hodgepodge of seedy beer bars. Look at it now.

I am somewhat amazed when I see a family cruising down Walking Street...or pretty much anywhere on Beach Road. I would never bring my 10 year old daughter here...but many do.

I do too. Perhaps not walking street because 10 year olds shouldn't be in any nightlife area, but I most definitely take her to Pattaya. I know Pattaya pretty well by now, so I also know how to completely avoid the seedy side. My wife never even saw it any of it, and her past experiece was only from attending conferences in the area. :)

Not too many American's though. For us, it is a LONG dang way to get here! And not cheap. Plus, many American's are afraid of traveling over here...and like said above, the Caribbean is much closer and way better.

Right, there's few American families travelling to Thailand, period. Not as much as Europeans and tourists from new markets like Russia.

I think this is wonderful. Finally we see a government in Thailand that is willing to stand up and embrace the world opinion of Pattaya. A crack down and recent arrests on foriegn criminals hiding out in Pattaya and now a crackdown on the prostitution and sex industry. Well done Thailand :):D:D:D:D:D I know my comment may offend the criminal element and the sex tourists members here but hey wouldn't life in Thailand be much better without you?

dream on ,, JACKANORY ..

FACT ,, most of the visitors / tourists ,

come to L.O.S.s -- for sexual pleasure...

of course . you came to thailand , to view the temples ,

and ride the elephants ,{ in captivity , so cruel }

Even though Pattaya is chock full of people involved with the sex industry, it's not far-fetched to see how all that could end. People involved with that industry, and sex workers in particular are a vulnerable bunch. If there was strong determination on the part of law enforcement, the place could be sex-venue free in a month.

Other Thai cities have been had their sex venues shut down in a matter of days. Though Pattaya is has more (and more concentrated) venues of that type, it could be shut out also.

If you think the Pattaya real estate market is overwhelmed with sellers now, wait until right after all the sex venues get permanently shut down - well over half the condos will go on sale at once, if/when that happens.

^BIB would be poor, and since they run most of these type of establishments - sort of like cutting your own nose off to spite yourself. You hear the same shi*e year after to year. But bottom line is NOTHING CHANGES. :)

Edited by britmaveric

I think this is wonderful. Finally we see a government in Thailand that is willing to stand up and embrace the world opinion of Pattaya. A crack down and recent arrests on foriegn criminals hiding out in Pattaya and now a crackdown on the prostitution and sex industry. Well done Thailand :):D:D:D:D:D I know my comment may offend the criminal element and the sex tourists members here but hey wouldn't life in Thailand be much better without you?

dream on ,, JACKANORY ..

Well I guess I am the minority then. Never used the services of a prostitute as I have never been desparate or had the need. I have never ridden the elephants either. Yes I came to experience the culture and I guess the temples are part of that. I also love the food, the people and the country. Places like Pattaya do not do Thailand or it's people any justice it simply tarnishes the image of the real Thailand. Sadly Pattaya sends the image to the world that Thailand is sex on tap and the streets are crawling with phedophilles, the sexually desparate of the world and every criminal on the run. It is a shame and yes it would be a great thing for the country if Pattaya was cleaned up and the authorities were serious about it.

dream on ,, JACKANORY ..

Well I guess I am the minority then. Never used the services of a prostitute as I have never been desparate or had the need. I have never ridden the elephants either. Yes I came to experience the culture and I guess the temples are part of that. I also love the food, the people and the country. Places like Pattaya do not do Thailand or it's people any justice it simply tarnishes the image of the real Thailand. Sadly Pattaya sends the image to the world that Thailand is sex on tap and the streets are crawling with phedophilles, the sexually desparate of the world and every criminal on the run. It is a shame and yes it would be a great thing for the country if Pattaya was cleaned up and the authorities were serious about it.

Personally, I think life in Thailand would be much better without you, and the rest of the tiny moral minority.

Most people move here permanently, because they're sick to death of being dictated to by the self righteous know-it-all meddlers who plague western society. If you prefer other places for holidays, there's a simple solution - take your incredibly boring opinions and go there. Bye.

Yes I agree. At the moment Pattaya has a world wide reputation as the worlds toilet full of sex offenders and dirty bars and women.

You must lead a very sheltered and naive lifestyle.

There are far more places in the world with more sex for sale, more trafficking of male/female of all ages, more abuse of humans of all ages and gender, whether patron or provider.

With Pattaya, at least it is WYSIWYG. And for the most part, participation is by consenting adults. Play the part of morality judgment police if you will. But if you really want to be a crusader, go to Cambodia, China, India or Africa where much of the sex trade is non-consentual and fraught with slaves and minors and abusive pimps/owners.

The most judgmental people are often the most sheltered who have no concept of anything unless they can find it on the first page of a google search query.

Even though Pattaya is chock full of people involved with the sex industry, it's not far-fetched to see how all that could end. People involved with that industry, and sex workers in particular are a vulnerable bunch. If there was strong determination on the part of law enforcement, the place could be sex-venue free in a month.

Other Thai cities have been had their sex venues shut down in a matter of days. Though Pattaya is has more (and more concentrated) venues of that type, it could be shut out also.

If you think the Pattaya real estate market is overwhelmed with sellers now, wait until right after all the sex venues get permanently shut down - well over half the condos will go on sale at once, if/when that happens.

This could never happen without a revolution in public service to eliminate corruption. The industry here puts so much money into City Hall and BIB pockets that nobody (who matters) has any desire to put it to the sword.

dream on ,, JACKANORY ..

Personally, I think life in Thailand would be much better without you, and the rest of the tiny moral minority.

Most people move here permanently, because they're sick to death of being dictated to by the self righteous know-it-all meddlers who plague western society. If you prefer other places for holidays, there's a simple solution - take your incredibly boring opinions and go there. Bye.

I think you are missing my point. Firstly I am not religious nor am I a moralist. I am saying that Pattaya sends to the world that Thailand is a country of ladyboys, prositutes and a place where anything goes. I love a good romp in the park just like anyone else but have never been so down as to having to resort to crawling the streets for it. I know you will never get rid of prostitution in Pattaya and only a fool would think you can. I am saying that Pattaya needs to be cleaned up so that it can portray a better image of Thailand to the world. This is the country that my children will own one day.

^Well at the end of the day you shouldnt worry what other people think about thailand. Regardless whether its true or not these people will think the same and funny thing is if you ask them if they been to thailand and the answer is NO. Prostitution is way of life in thailand, and should be looked at as a model for the rest of the world.

BTW - you keep concentrating on Pattaya, most people in the world could not tell you where it is or have ever heard of it. Now Bangkok they have... :) Remember Thai people do not care what foreigners think of them - you are farang and do not understand the thai way. :D

^Well at the end of the day you shouldnt worry what other people think about thailand. Regardless whether its true or not these people will think the same and funny thing is if you ask them if they been to thailand and the answer is NO. Prostitution is way of life in thailand, and should be looked at as a model for the rest of the world.

BTW - you keep concentrating on Pattaya, most people in the world could not tell you where it is or have ever heard of it. Now Bangkok they have... :)Remember Thai people do not care what foreigners think of them - you are farang and do not understand the thai way. :D

Are you really serious about these two comments? Thai prostitution as a model for the rest of the world. What exactly do you mean? Do you mean that the rest of the world should have prostitution in your face on every corner of every city in the world?????????

Thai people do care what the world thinks of them. All the thais I know and that is a lot say they hate the image and feel put down. I may be farang but do understand the thai way of life as my grandfather is thai, my wife is thai and my children are thai.

^Nothing mystical on what I have said... most thai(s) love prostitution. Why would the image put them down? It's a profession that provides a needed service, nothing more nothing less. Thais as a population for the most part are Thai Centric, not worldly. As I said who cares what others think - if you lead your life trying to please what people think about you then you won't have much time to do much of anything else.

Now street level - yes can be annoying, but rarely are you bothered by said loitering ladies unless you want to be bothered. Preferably should be in bars, but this is the way it is. It's accepted and allowed until the BIB is looking for a revenue increase by fining said loiterers along Beach Rd. Actually think you get far more hassle in Hamburg or Amsterdam than Thailand if you are just walking the street.

^Nothing mystical on what I have said... most thai(s) love prostitution. Why would the image put them down? It's a profession that provides a needed service, nothing more nothing less. Thais as a population for the most part are Thai Centric, not worldly. As I said who cares what others think - if you lead your life trying to please what people think about you then you won't have much time to do much of anything else.

Now street level - yes can be annoying, but rarely are you bothered by said loitering ladies unless you want to be bothered. Preferably should be in bars, but this is the way it is. It's accepted and allowed until the BIB is looking for a revenue increase by fining said loiterers along Beach Rd. Actually think you get far more hassle in Hamburg or Amsterdam than Thailand if you are just walking the street.

Ok point taken and I am sure you see my point as well :)

Ok point taken and I am sure you see my point as well :)

a good exchange of , your both, very different , and valued opinions .

BTW - you keep concentrating on Pattaya, most people in the world could not tell you where it is or have ever heard of it. Now Bangkok they have... :)Remember Thai people do not care what foreigners think of them - you are farang and do not understand the thai way. :D

Are you really serious about these two comments? Thai prostitution as a model for the rest of the world. What exactly do you mean? Do you mean that the rest of the world should have prostitution in your face on every corner of every city in the world?????????

Thai people do care what the world thinks of them. All the thais I know and that is a lot say they hate the image and feel put down. I may be farang but do understand the thai way of life as my grandfather is thai, my wife is thai and my children are thai.

Are YOU serious?

If Thais hate prostitution that would be hypocritical to say the least, given the huge Thai prostitution scene, or is it just that they don't like foreigners knowing about it?

I also doubt that they care about the Pattaya scene as so many come to Pattaya to live and play. If they were offended, they'd go elsewhere, surely?

Where in Thailand is prostitution on every street corner? Pattaya is huge, and the "scene" is in one tiny area. If you don't like it I suggest you avoid Walking St, Beach Rd, 2nd Rd, Naklua and Soi Buakow ( ? spelling ). I doubt you will feel "offended" anywhere else.

I don't think Brit was suggesting all the world should be like Walking St, just saying that it is more honest to have it out in the open, rather than hiding it away as at present in most western countries. Prostitution is rampant in London, but supressed and extremely sleasy. I'd much rather have the Thai model.

If there were no bar girls or prostitutes there would be no Pattaya as we know it today It would still be a sleepy little fishing town.

Sex for sale is the main industry in Pattaya and without it the economy in Pattaya would collapse.

What a bunch of hypocrites

"All were charged ... before being released back onto the Beach where they presumably continued with whatever they were doing prior to their arrest".

LOL this really made me laugh out loud...

'The primary objective of a modern police force is the prevention of crime, next is the apprehension and prosecution of offenders.....' In Pattaya the primary objective of the police is to apprehend and collect money.... after all prevention of crime is not their business is it? :)

If there were no bar girls or prostitutes there would be no Pattaya as we know it today It would still be a sleepy little fishing town.

Sex for sale is the main industry in Pattaya and without it the economy in Pattaya would collapse.

That can't be true. I once heard the Thai tourism Minister report that she had visited Pattaya and had seen no evidence of prostitution! :)

That can't be true. I once heard the Thai tourism Minister report that she had visited Pattaya and had seen no evidence of prostitution! :)

That's probably because she went round Patters five minutes after the previous new top cop took office. The girls and ladyboys were still paying their fines, from his first "let's clean up Pattaya, I've got my new position to pay for", campaign.

Similar to the clampdowns on DVD piracy. They announce on Monday that there will be a clampdown on Thursday, and to their amazement, when they raid on Thursday, they find there is no piracy going on.

That's the way it works here. :D

• 1 month later...
... because it's clearly been explained to me in the past

that since prostitution is illegal, it's not possible that there are any here.

Clearly explained ?

I don't think so because - from what I know - prostitution is not illegal in Thailand.

What was explained to me is that places to exploit prostitution (brothels) are illegal,

that exploiting ladies in prostitution (pimps) is illegal,

that advertise for prostitution services is illegal, ...

but prostitution itself is not illegal.

PS: You can find good translation of recent laws (1996) on thailaws.com :

Prostitution, B.E.2539 : http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0200.pdf

My impression has always been that the girls that hang down by the beach are infected with HIV or too addicted to drugs to be able to hold a job at any bar.

Maybe I'm wrong and its the sweet innocent ones who don't know how to get a job at a bar, but I've always rather thought that punters who take beach girls have a death wish anyway, and to what lengths should we go to protect them from themselves.

Kindof harsh I know, but they're obviously willing to engage in very risky behaviour and will come a cropper one way or another anyway

can you help me out?

What does "not up to crack"really means?

wow 1113 people viewing this dont worry guys it looked like business as usual today. reference girls cannot get job in bars like some of us they like to be self employed not tied to a bar with strict start finish times, cut for not enough drinks or bar fines or have another day job.

Sonner or later bg's go online anyway. I think within a couple years the Bg's getting smart (phone srvice and online) and the bg emppoyment go low anyway. With all the high rental costs and keymoney....... than youl'll find thousends of emty shophouses for sale and rent, but noone will be interested. Similar like some places in Europe.

Are YOU serious?

If Thais hate prostitution that would be hypocritical to say the least, given the huge Thai prostitution scene, or is it just that they don't like foreigners knowing about it?

I also doubt that they care about the Pattaya scene as so many come to Pattaya to live and play. If they were offended, they'd go elsewhere, surely?

Where in Thailand is prostitution on every street corner? Pattaya is huge, and the "scene" is in one tiny area. If you don't like it I suggest you avoid Walking St, Beach Rd, 2nd Rd, Naklua and Soi Buakow ( ? spelling ). I doubt you will feel "offended" anywhere else.

I don't think Brit was suggesting all the world should be like Walking St, just saying that it is more honest to have it out in the open, rather than hiding it away as at present in most western countries. Prostitution is rampant in London, but supressed and extremely sleasy. I'd much rather have the Thai model.

I was about to reply in much the same vein, till I saw your reply which I support 100%.

Any Thai complaining about "farang" prostitution is just being a hypocrite.

Personally, I do wish the western world had Walking Streets all over. Then I wouldn't have to go all the way to LOS! However, the nearest thing in London- Soho- is a real sleazy place in comparison, full of clip joints and sleazebag pimps. Yuch!