Looking For Pub With Good Food, I Only Get One Shot At It..

tangcoral

I dont get out much, especially being married with a 1 year old plus I live 35km from in-town.

So here is my chance since the wifey agreed so as long as the food is great.

I'm looking for some beer with great finger food or possibly good non-thai food.

Maybe like a pub with good happy hour food. Area = some where on or near sukhumvit

This is one of my very few chances so I want a agreeable consensus on a great place.

Yeah I'm on lock down :)

god where to start, ok.

here are some i frequent and arent bad in my opinion, but others may disagree. it all depends on what youre after.

around the phrom pon area you have;

the londoner, suk 33. good in house ale and beer, foods good although not cheap,(the sunday lunch buffet is well worth a go) sports on all the time. happy hour 4-7, and specials on drinks, wednesday bogof. look up their website.

the robin hood, again sports, foods reasonable and specials on drinks. again look up the website. on suk 35, i think.

the dubliner on the other side of the road. self explanitary!

the black swan in and around suk 14-12. good beer and food.

the soi 8 bar/pub. on suk 8, about 100 yards down on the left hand side. run by a kiwi and very into sports, especially rugby. good food, cheap beer and a great atmosphere. from what a lot of forum members seem to say here on the site, one of the best in bangkok. i agree!

where else, their are some good joints around, but a lot of them are wright on top of where a lot of the working girls ply their trade. and by the sounds of it if the misses catches you taking a look, you might get a clip round the ear, or worse :)

anyway happy hunting, hope this is a help.

Edited by tigerfish

From the OP:
Area = some where on or near sukhumvit

Sukhumvit is an awfully long road, from Amphoe Muang in Trat to Ploenchit in Bangkok. Could you narrow it down a bit?

--

Maestro

Exactly! Where are you wanting a pub? Bangkok, Chonburi, Sri Racha, Pattaya, Rayong?

He said Sukhumwit, (I'll assume he means in Bangkok), so it's a no-brainer. Go to the Black Swan, you won't regret it. It's at the corner of Asok and Sukhumwit, next to the BTS station or across the street from the MRT station.

Get the "Big Yorkie", slices of beef and pork on a gigantic yorkshire pudding, dripping with gravy, along with mashed and veggies. Oh god, now I want one!

Edited by Meridian007

He said Sukhumwit, (I'll assume he means in Bangkok), so it's a no-brainer. Go to the Black Swan, you won't regret it. It's at the corner of Asok and Sukhumwit, next to the BTS station or across the street from the MRT station.

Get the "Big Yorkie", slices of beef and pork on a gigantic yorkshire pudding, dripping with gravy, along with mashed and veggies. Oh god, now I want one!

The Black Swan is expensive and in my opinion, dull. Probably because it is expensive. If you want a quiet night, drop in there, because all three customers go home to bed at 9. I cannot understand for the life of me how he makes any money there.

Here's my take:

Soi 8 - good grub, good beer, good prices, good entertainment, lively. Therefore busy, often hard to get a seat and Dave allows smoking, though that might change with the new ownership (as might the prices, but I hope not).

Londoner - Good food, don't touch the homebrew, rest of the beer good. More expensive, good entertainment, busy and "underground" which some people might not like. No smoking though.

Bully's - Good food, good beer, quite busy but not usually any entertainment. Decent prices though not as cheap as Soi 8. Worth a look though.

Robin Hood - Have not been there since my mate found a cockroach in his salad. O.K. this is Thailand, the bleeders are everywhere, but the attitude of the management did nothing to foster confidence.

Bulls Head - not been there for a while but was always good. Have some decent beer on tap, including Old Speckled Hen. Busy ground floor bar area and very social. They have comedy nights every so often.

Dubliner - Like your corner pub. Good food, good beer, medium prices a very civilised place to go for a drink and a chat.

Hanrahans - Is it still there? Beautifully done but no bloody customers. Too close to Nana? I don't really know; it's as much of a mystery why people don't go there as why a handful do go to the Black Swan.

Queen Vic - Soi 23, close to Cowboy (never been there myself - is it good?). Quiet last time I was there. Nicely done, good food, good beer, a little expensive.

There are a few others too. You'll need more than one night to hit them all!! It will be fun though. Can I come?

The Black Swan is expensive and in my opinion, dull. Probably because it is expensive. If you want a quiet night, drop in there, because all three customers go home to bed at 9. I cannot understand for the life of me how he makes any money there.

Here's my take:

Soi 8 - good grub, good beer, good prices, good entertainment, lively. Therefore busy, often hard to get a seat and Dave allows smoking, though that might change with the new ownership (as might the prices, but I hope not).

Londoner - Good food, don't touch the homebrew, rest of the beer good. More expensive, good entertainment, busy and "underground" which some people might not like. No smoking though.

Bully's - Good food, good beer, quite busy but not usually any entertainment. Decent prices though not as cheap as Soi 8. Worth a look though.

Robin Hood - Have not been there since my mate found a cockroach in his salad. O.K. this is Thailand, the bleeders are everywhere, but the attitude of the management did nothing to foster confidence.

Bulls Head - not been there for a while but was always good. Have some decent beer on tap, including Old Speckled Hen. Busy ground floor bar area and very social. They have comedy nights every so often.

Dubliner - Like your corner pub. Good food, good beer, medium prices a very civilised place to go for a drink and a chat.

Hanrahans - Is it still there? Beautifully done but no bloody customers. Too close to Nana? I don't really know; it's as much of a mystery why people don't go there as why a handful do go to the Black Swan.

Queen Vic - Soi 23, close to Cowboy (never been there myself - is it good?). Quiet last time I was there. Nicely done, good food, good beer, a little expensive.

There are a few others too. You'll need more than one night to hit them all!! It will be fun though. Can I come?

Wow - didn't know that. Is that a fact or just a rumour? Do you know details?

Here's my take:

Would like to hear more - maybe will stop by after work and ask the man himself.

Excellent post guys! Thank you all, I think I narrowed it down to black swan or londoner as I seen it mentioned a few times. We'll update the thread after I make my visit. thank you all!

the good news is these bars are not far apart so if you wanna move - it's easy enough.

Queen Vic is pretty good for food, prices are reasonable and the staff seem friendly enough.

The sandwiches and salads are all of a good size and last couple times I've been in after work there seems to be a few folk in, maybe a bit too close to Cowboy if your Mrs has keen eyes but its a nice pub all the same.

Here's my take:

Got the details, been sold to the people who own molly's and the australian on soi 11.

Here's my take:

Got the details, been sold to the people who own molly's and the australian on soi 11.

Thanks - but :)

• 8 months later...

It was a disappointing meal at Bulls Head last night.

Three of us had some food and I tried the tacos ... bad move !! the mince beef was bland with absolutely no flavour and the tacos shells were stale. There was no cheese or sour cream with the tacos and all that was added was a sprinkle of lettuce on top of the three of them.

I won't be eating there again :bah: .

I think Gullivers in Soi 5 has the best food around and I know there kitchen is spotless.

good luck.

Edited by steven100