Who Is The Main Supplier Of Foreign Magazines Here?

samlowry

it's a tangent from your question but for all the expats who like their home country magazines then buy them on zinio for download and save a bundle.

It's a really nice feature that you can access all your past subscriptions without having to haul around or store some dead tree's.

Zinio publications

Interesting link, but non of the magazines I'd want to read are there:Rugby World, Private Eye etc. It's got quite an American bias. OK theres NZ Rugby and an international football magazine, but no much else of interest to the bulk of humanity.

it's a tangent from your question but for all the expats who like their home country magazines then buy them on zinio for download and save a bundle.

It's a really nice feature that you can access all your past subscriptions without having to haul around or store some dead tree's.

Zinio publications

Interesting link, but non of the magazines I'd want to read are there:Rugby World, Private Eye etc. It's got quite an American bias. OK theres NZ Rugby and an international football magazine, but no much else of interest to the bulk of humanity.

They have the UK "Rugby World". 12 issues for $47 USD. I think you just looked at the first page of selections in your category and not the following pages.

I did a quick search of Private Eye and didn't see it though.

The choices are not perfect for me either but they have a lot of titles and growing. Many non english/american ones also.

post-27132-1267178311_thumb.jpg

I thought this thread would be about where to buy "foreign" magazines. I think many people are interested in that topic. Right now we use a mail forwarding service in the U.S. and receive a monthly shipment which includes The Economist, Vanity Fair and National Geographic. I've seen all of these around town, but never all three in the same place. Plus, we'd like the U.S. version of The Economist, not the Thai version. Does anyone know where all three magazines can be acquired? I'd like to lower the service level of our mail forwarding service to save cost.

(Yes, I know all these magazines are available on-line. As subscribers we receive emails and often read many articles on-line before we get the actual dead trees. But there's just something about having a real magazine in your hands. Plus, we pass them along to other expats and have often found our magazines on the coffee tables of friends-of-a-friend. They get passed around.)

We pay $55 per month for a mail forwarding service that includes one 5-lb shipment (via DHL) per month. The same company offers what they call a "mail only" service for $25 per month, which means that once a month they'll send you anything they can cram into one flat rate global priority mail envelope. Basically that would be enough for the few alumni newsletters, insurance company statements and IRS letters we receive. It wouldn't be enough room for magazines -- or at least more than one.

Now before everyone says there are cheaper ways to forward mail, let me point out that one benefit this service offers is that they scan and email the front of every item they receive. (No they don't open and scan the contents, just the outside of the envelope). Once we receive the email we can reply, asking them to hold the item for our monthly shipment or to toss it. Gets rid of the junk mail and solicitations.

So the economics revolve around $30 per month in saved forwarding charges, plus the cost of the subscriptions for the U.S. magazines. Of course, if we let our subscriptions drop, we wouldn't have website access to these magazines. The only one we really use is for The Economist. I can download the entire magazine as a series of MP3 podcasts, read in a "proper" BBC-type voice. More than enough to keep me busy during those Centara workouts!

Our mail forwarding service is USABox. http://www.usabox.com/default.aspr

We set it up before we left the U.S. I don't know how difficult it would be to set it up once here in Thailand. The kicker is the United State Postal Service form you have to fill out to start the service. As I recall, we had to have it notarized and submit it in person at a U.S. post office where they verified I.D. It's part of our brave, new post-9/11 world. Anyway, you could email them with questions if you need to establish service from here.