Drivers License Renewal

I was involved in a ‘Topic’ on the Chaingmai Forum where there appears to be differences of opinion as to how long we can renew our drivers licenses for:- One or five years. It appears various locations have differing requirements for Medical certificates and Immigration Office confirmation of visa status and residential address.

Questions:

Is there a farang lawyer out there with knowledge on this subject?

Are the Provinces or even districts governed by differing laws or are we being subjected to local administrators own interpretations?

Where can one get confirmation of the law on this topic (be it in Thai) without having to go scratching thru a Thai library or law office? Is there a WEB site? :o

When I asked could I have the written rules, even if in thai, was told by immigration because the ministry change the rules so much, not worth printing. Was told the following and guy at registration office agreed 1 month ago.

You need, photos, form completed and confirmation of address from immigration( new rule) Cannot have 5 year until date prevoiously shown on licence.eg if 5th on licence can go on 5th. I went day before and told could only have 1 year, so I went back and had 5 year.

If they've no written instructions no wonder different officers request different things :D

Am a farang lawyer, but I suspect as in UK the rules are set by the ministry not by law, it's left up to individual officers if they bother to read memos. :o

At renewal you need:

2 new photos

Non-Immigrant Visa status

Address verification from either your Embassy or Immigration

First license is always one year

Renewals are 5 years if you apply after the previous one has expired, otherwise one year.

http://www.thaivisa.com/567.0.html

Looks like that is where I made the mistake --- trying to renew just prior to expiry as one would else where in the world, and not being informed by these pricks where I was going wrong --- shit it's hard :o