Windows 7

bkkmick

Hi

I just got a new PC and had Windows 7 professional installed on it. Everything's going great. Aero is a quite nice distraction.

For more years than I care to remember I've been using Visual InterDev for editing my web code. To get this running I had to install the Virtual PC, then install InterDev. It seemed to work, but when I tried to make a change and save the code, I got the error:

the requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open

I've googled to no effect and I was wondering if anyone out there has received that error message and found a way around it?

Cheers

Mick

Might be another application accessing the file at the same time InterDev wants to write to it.

Do you have any antivirus or security software with real-time component installed on your virtual machine?

welo

I do have Kaspersky running on my machine. I paused protection but it made no difference.

When I open a file the path InterDev takes to the file is \\tsclient\D on EntireNetwork\filename.asp

I can't see any other programs open at the moment. Strange one this.

EDIT: Just noticed that, if I choose a different folder to the one the file was loaded from and save it there, then it saves OK.

DOH! Just had one of those moments! I checked the permissions and the destination folder was somehow set to Read Only! Unchecked that and it saves ok.

Thanks for the ideas.

Edited by bkkmick

Any pointers on that one Gary? I though that I had it sussed but that doesn't seem to have worked. I can't seem to uncheck the Read Only checkbox against the folder I'm using.

I can overwrite a file if I'm using software using Win7 but as soon as I go to Windows XP mode it fails.

Cheers

Try saving it into your documents or shared folder, vista and 7 don't like user files being written outside these. All new compliant software will not save data in program files, this could be done in XP. so now they get saved in c:/user/your user/appdata/virtual store this normally hidden so you need to go to folder option and change settings there to find it. google virtual store will give detailed help.

I do have Kaspersky running on my machine. I paused protection but it made no difference.

When I open a file the path InterDev takes to the file is \\tsclient\D on EntireNetwork\filename.asp

Might be related to the way the virtual machine allows access to your computer's harddisks or vice versa.

Backgound information: the virtual machine simulates a complete physical computer onto which Windows XP is installed. The virtual harddisk where the OS is installed is actually a single file (VirtualPC uses .vhd files) residing on your 'real' harddisk. Applications running inside the virtual machine only see the virtual hardware and hence the virtual harddrive, and have by design no access or 'knowledge' of Windows 7 and your 'real' C drive (or other partitions).

That said MS added a view features in the last version to allow a smoother integration of applications running inside the virtual machine with the host operating system (Windows 7) and named the whole thing 'XPMode'. For instance it is possible to access your 'real' harddisk (resp. the partitions) from within the virtual machine, that is from applications running under XPMode - technically this is achieved by using a terminal client running on Windows 7 to connect to a terminal server on the virtual machine - hence the name tsclient (ts for terminal server).

So what happens is that Interdev tries to access a file on your Windows 7 partition (aka the 'real' harddrive) and fails. AFAIK \\tsclient points to your Windows 7 filesystem (technically this uses a virtual network between the host and the vm, like a network share).

I am a bit confused about the name

\\tsclient\D on EntireNetwork\filename.asp

'D on EntireNetwork' probably points to the D partition (Windows 7), not sure why the weird name.

Possible reasons for this error (just brainstorming here):

• InterDev cannot write on networks shares hence does not work with XPMode's method of accessing your Windows 7 filesystem
  • a permission or configuration problem in XPMode's automatically created file shares

I assume the file you want to access is located in the root directory on your D partition?

Can you confirm that and if some of what I wrote makes sense to you, can you give feedback and provide more details on your InterDev setup and your project setup, especially where your project files are.

garyh is correct about the directory name changes from XP to Vista/Win7 and the 'virtual store' that allows backwards compatibility with older applications. However, AFAIK this only applies to applications running in Windows 7 directly, not in XPMode since they are actually running in Windows XP inside the virtual machine.

Applications running in Windows XP mode do not have compatibility issues as they are actually running inside a Windows XP virtual machine and redirected using RDP to the Windows 7 host. (wikipedia)

welo

Just to say how things turned out:

I tried moving the software into a folder under My Documents and editing/saving there but there was no difference. No problem saving a new file or loading a file and saving it to a new location but still could not overwrite an existing file.

I have so much to do that I had to swap to some new software (ASP Studio). Works great. Slightly different editing keystrokes but I'll get used to that eventually.

Thanks for the help.

Mick