Thaksin Warns Businessmen Not To Play Politics

webfact

Thaksin warns businessmen not to play politics

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Dressed in a black suit and tie to mourn "my own stubbornness", Thaksin Shinawatra deplored "mean politics" and apparently came to the realisation that rich businessmen should not double up as politicians.

"Kids, I'm so sorry," he said through a video link immediately after the court ruled that more than Bt46 billion of his assets be seized. His ex-wife and children often warned him against entering the field of politics but he never listened to them, he said.

"This is mean politics," the grim-looking Thaksin bemoaned, attacking the justice system for being like a child at play due to its "discriminatory" nature.

He said legal steps against him had proceeded quickly, thus making the ruling "a joke for the world".

The ex-premier urged his red-shirt supporters to keep on fighting "peacefully" so that he is "the last victim".

"Don't give up until you get democracy. Fight peacefully so as not to give them a chance to take action against you," he said. "When democracy matures, there should be no more victims like me."

For rich businessmen who might be contemplating entering politics like him in order to help the country, Thaksin asked them to think carefully before taking such a step.

"If you are a businessman, think hard if you are tempted to play politics," he said.

The court verdict found Thaksin guilty of abusing his political power to benefit his own businesses. Profits and interests that were acquired after the day he entered politics were ordered seized, leaving his family with just what they had before the day he became prime minister.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The last sentence attributed to T, "think hard if you are tempted to play politics" is most descriptive to his time in politics. Any characteristic of responsibility to country and its betterment, seemly, was thrown aside so his perception of political games could be pursued. No sympathy from this side.

If you are a businessman, think hard if you are tempted to play politics

Should he not rather have said, 'Think hard if you are tempted to run the country for the benefit of your family-businesses' ? :D

Whoopee..So now that one corrupt/dishonest high-profile Thai official has bitten the dust, the millions of others like him can actively continue with their own "piece-of-the-action " with little or no scrutiny! What a blast, hey?

What I have trouble understanding is how/why such a "baddie" is apparently so loved and held in such high esteem by such a large proportion of the populace.

What am I missing? Can someone please give me an intelligible explanation fot this? :)

If this decision is now to set the standard then it will be difficult for businessmen to get invovled in poltics unless they park their assets somewhere really neutral or sell them all off. It will certainly give businessmen pause for thought. Current polticians will also want to think carefully before making decisons at cabinet level. I think we could see a few complaints being made about current ministers. Best position right now is to be a banned poltico pulling strings;)

Good advice. People engaged in business need to be very, very careful. Unfortunately, he was rich enough to have shed his assets prior to entering politics and been a lot more altruistic. He didn't, but the court will help him with that now.

Gov't means being a 'public servant'. I hope future politicians and businessmen can learn from this, but I believe it is a lesson that will have to be learned over and over again.

Yes, get the wealthy businessmen out of politics, unless they have principles and genuinely want to serve the country (not just their own families and businesses). There are rich businessmen with principles and they are welcome, but I don't think there are many in Thailand.

Good advice. People engaged in business need to be very, very careful. Unfortunately, he was rich enough to have shed his assets prior to entering politics and been a lot more altruistic. He didn't, but the court will help him with that now.

Gov't means being a 'public servant'. I hope future politicians and businessmen can learn from this, but I believe it is a lesson that will have to be learned over and over again.

Very good word...but im too old for belive that they change...you really think can happen? everywere in the world?

I know we must dream for wakeup everyday whit a smile on our face.

Edited by oceano

Yes, get the wealthy businessmen out of politics, unless they have principles and genuinely want to serve the country (not just their own families and businesses). There are rich businessmen with principles and they are welcome, but I don't think there are many in Thailand.

I agree but you might as well say, "get the politicians out of business"

they are one and the same, hand in hand

in Thailand or elsewhere

A lot of respect to the judges for their decision. Not exactly a new dawn but more a small draw-back of the blinds. I hope that the red-tinged side of my family will take the trouble to read the justices' decision in full. I'm probably not the first to ask but...

where can I obtain the complete decision in English?

once again, thanks for your coverage :)

If you are a businessman, think hard if you are tempted to play politics

Should he not rather have said, 'Think hard if you are tempted to run the country for the benefit of your family-businesses' ? :D

Whoopee..So now that one corrupt/dishonest high-profile Thai official has bitten the dust, the millions of others like him can actively continue with their own "piece-of-the-action " with little or no scrutiny! What a blast, hey?

What I have trouble understanding is how/why such a "baddie" is apparently so loved and held in such high esteem by such a large proportion of the populace.

What am I missing? Can someone please give me an intelligible explanation fot this? :)

will unintelligible do?

loved and esteemed baddie? probably because he was better than anything that came before him. Which says it all really. was he really the least worst in the equation? it's like comparing Mussolini with..ah never mind

a brave decision made in detail at length, observe and respect and move on!

:D

Principles or not, there is no place in politics for anyone who is in the position to be tempted by conflict of interest. Business compliance law is quite strict on that point. For example, under the US FCPA, if I work for a company and have an interest in one of its suppliers, clients or competitors then I must either resign, or sell, dispose of, or cease my involvement in the other company. And that also includes my immediate family members. Anyone wanting to go into politics should be made to openly sell any interest that have in any company that might benefit from their political position. The operating word being "openly". Not give it away, pass it on to a family member, employee or pet, but openly sell it on the stock exchange at market price to a non family member. Of course, deals may still be done with the new owner, but it's better than the current situation. Ideally, there needs to be an independant body monitoring the actions of any exbusinessman in politics for conflict of interest with his past business. No doubt some will cry unfair. Why should someone be forced to sell the business they've built up? The answer is that no one's forcing them to go into politics. they can either do so, and play by the rules, or carry on in business, but not in politics.

Principles or not, there is no place in politics for anyone who is in the position to be tempted by conflict of interest. Business compliance law is quite strict on that point. For example, under the US FCPA, if I work for a company and have an interest in one of its suppliers, clients or competitors then I must either resign, or sell, dispose of, or cease my involvement in the other company. And that also includes my immediate family members. Anyone wanting to go into politics should be made to openly sell any interest that have in any company that might benefit from their political position. The operating word being "openly". Not give it away, pass it on to a family member, employee or pet, but openly sell it on the stock exchange at market price to a non family member. Of course, deals may still be done with the new owner, but it's better than the current situation. Ideally, there needs to be an independant body monitoring the actions of any exbusinessman in politics for conflict of interest with his past business. No doubt some will cry unfair. Why should someone be forced to sell the business they've built up? The answer is that no one's forcing them to go into politics. they can either do so, and play by the rules, or carry on in business, but not in politics.

Canadian laws are similar but not a day goes by where some politician is caught with a conflict of interest. Many try to ignore the law hoping that they will not be found out.

I like thw word choice - "play politics". Like "playing the lottery" or "Playing the slots". If that is what he was doing - "Playing" then its a dam_n good thing he got run when he did. The more the man speaks, the lower my opinion of him (which has already plumbed new depths).

Thaksin complaining about "mean politics" is one of the greatest ironies ever, that guy was the embodiment of "mean politics". He was abrasive, stubborn, jealous, vindictive and bullied everyone and everything in his path while he was the PM.

Thaksin complaining about "mean politics" is one of the greatest ironies ever, that guy was the embodiment of "mean politics". He was abrasive, stubborn, jealous, vindictive and bullied everyone and everything in his path while he was the PM.

Couldn't have put it better myself!