Thailand On Alert As Thaksin Fans Weigh Fortune Seizure

webfact

If the government really wants to clean this up, they are going to have to go after the rest of the thieves. I was one of the posters that said that they should at least give Thaksin back what he started with. Most people knew that he vastly understated his net worth when he took office. One never knows when false statements will come back and bite you.

When the government follows the money trail, one never knows where the trail will lead. Depending on who is being investigated, many shady deals, kick backs and bribes will be swept under the rug. As long as powerful politicians make the decisions, it will always be the good ole boys method of doing business. The golden rule is if you don't tell on me, I won't tell on you.

Time for those elections now that Thaksin's will and that of the red shirts is broken as confirmed by a number of knowledgeable posters-don't hold your breath. :)

No reason to have elections - government is governing, coalition is stable. That, in and of itself, must drive the Reds crazy. As they are the only ones calling for a new round, it's easy to see which horse "Thailand" is backing. To bad its the wrong one.

SomTumTiger is right. The key is that there is no ecoonomic crisis for Thaksin to play 'saviour'. On the contrary, the economy is now clearly recovering and the longer this goes on, the more evident it becomes to the middle that not only is Thaksin not 'needed', but that his presence is a threat to stabilty for economic growth.

The Reds aren't any worse off because of this- as Thaksin's assets were seized, neither he nor they had access to them. You Sondhi lovers might want to remember that next time you accuse the UDD of "being on Thaksin's payroll." Paid with what? Monopoly money?

If anything, they'll come out of this stronger, and less willing to work within Abhisit's so-called "rule-of-law" than ever.

Are you serious? You can't honestly believe what you wrote...there is all kinds of evidence he pays EVERYBODY to help him. Why do you think the masses show up at these protests? Most don't have the money to afford the bus fee....

The Reds aren't any worse off because of this- as Thaksin's assets were seized, neither he nor they had access to them. You Sondhi lovers might want to remember that next time you accuse the UDD of "being on Thaksin's payroll." Paid with what? Monopoly money?

If anything, they'll come out of this stronger, and less willing to work within Abhisit's so-called "rule-of-law" than ever.

Just because 76bn baht had been seized doesn't mean that Thaksin doesn't have a few billion more stashed away to pay for a rent-a-crowd to attend a few protests.

The sooner the reds stop fighting for "justice" for Thaksin, and instead start working for justice and democracy for Thailand, the sooner that corruption (by the elite and the businessmen) can be eliminated.

I really wonder what the end game is here for Thaksin? It seems he's failed to win his money back in the courts, he's on the run for criminal charges he was convicted of and quite a few criminal cases against him waiting for his return. I just don't see him being able to make a comeback any time in the near future. I see only two options:

1. If the military were to implement another coup, and he could some how use that to instigate another civil war.

2. If he could shut up and lay low for a while, he might be able to get enough friendly MPs into power that they could then modify the constitution or perform some other legal magic that gets him off the hook.

I don't see #1 taking place. The red movement is dieing out, and while he might be popular, I'm not sure there are that many Thais who would actually be willing to fight for him. He tried really hard to provoke something, and the military didn't bite, and the constant cancellations of the million man march seem to imply that support just isn't there anymore.

#2 seems much more likely, but I just don't see Thaksin shutting up long enough to allow those that oppose him to let down their guard.

Honestly, his best move is to forget about being a public figure in Thailand. Concentrate on rebuilding his wealth and continuing to be a behind the scenes guy until he has an opening. Thailand in the past has made it clear they don't really have any desire to haul him in, and are content to let him do his thing, as long as he isn't stirring up trouble in Thailand. He's got plenty of friends in other countries, plenty of money left to start up new businesses, and he can win all sorts of sympathy with his whole "I'm a victim of the evil military. I should be PM but can't return home due to politically driven prosecution."

Thaksin isn't daft, he knew he was never going to get his money back, court case or not.

Thai elite vested interest stitched that up a long time back.

No, Thaksin is playing the game here.

I think that Thaksin brought the case to court to further highlight to the democratic international community the thai democracy lie.

Illegal Military Junta coup, Military Junta Appointed judiciary, Military Junta Appointed government , overthrow of democratically elected government, censored media, human rights abuse, etc,etc plastered all over the international media.

Indeed , this strategy has worked very well, especially the validation by the supreme court that the actions of the military junta in the coup , and subsequent making of laws was "legitimate" and has a place in thai democracy.

Drip by drip thai democracy is being exposed internationally for what it is.

The international community will no doubt be now asking where their own democracies got democracy wrong.biggrin.gif

Honestly, his best move is to forget about being a public figure in Thailand. Concentrate on rebuilding his wealth and continuing to be a behind the scenes guy until he has an opening. Thailand in the past has made it clear they don't really have any desire to haul him in, and are content to let him do his thing, as long as he isn't stirring up trouble in Thailand. He's got plenty of friends in other countries, plenty of money left to start up new businesses, and he can win all sorts of sympathy with his whole "I'm a victim of the evil military. I should be PM but can't return home due to politically driven prosecution."

If it were anyone else who was smart and powerful I'd say this would be the best option. But this is Thaksin we're talking about here and he has one massive ego :)

The reds are now a broken force with Thaksin. They cannot exist without him and they cannot continue with him. The legal cases against Thaksin will now come one after another. Thaksin will lose if he goes down the violence route (again + been there done that) and it is just as likely he will plead for reconciliation, not that the establishment are ever going to fall for that one. One thing is for sure is that no party associated with, or campaigning for criminal Thaksin will be allowed to run in 2011. The reds either go independent or go down with the master. In short no option for them as they have no alternative head. Finished.

I agree with this, and though the Red Shirts might prove otherwise for awhile and do some damage on March 14, I think this is a major turning point. The case has demonstrated to the majority fence sitting Thais the facts behind his premiership, and even if you had 9 Thaksin friendly judges ruling in his favour, everyone can see just what sort of unethical leader he was. Bringing this case to court was important for Thailand, and it will take some blatant whitewashing, pardoning or repealing for Thaksin to make a comeback on this (notwithstanding the raft of civil cases he might now be busy defending). He is finished, if he managed to make a complete comeback he would face an enormous wrath of discontent bigger than anything Abhisit has ever had to face.

The Reds have some legitimate complaints that MUST be dealt with in the long term, and there are lots of complications now - such as the 'double standards' claim, which is true and would mean going after lots of politicians past and present. At this stage however, they need to decide if they are in this to improve their lot, or in it to save Thaksin. It's getting to the point where it's one or the other.

All this talk of 'democracy' 'justice' 'Amartya elites' is nonsense, the arguments given could apply equally against the Thaksin administration. I urge Thaksin to take his case to any International Court that is interested, with a pledge to respect the verdict. His trouble is that he only respects his own wonky rules of justice, and until he finally comes out of a state of denial he's going to spend the rest of his living days inciting revolution from a video studio in Uganda, slowly becoming more and more isolated and embittered.

I urge Thaksin to take his case to any International Court that is interested, with a pledge to respect the verdict

He pledges to respect every verdict. Then promptly ignores it and does what he pleases.

He respected the courts decision after the assets disclosure case all those years ago, the case that he won and allowed him to stay on as PM because it was all just a genuine mistake, poor fellow. In fact he respected that decision so much that even some years later he felt obliged to send those nice judges some fresh pastry.

"The tycoon's opponents in the Bangkok-based circles around the palace, military and bureaucracy accuse Thaksin of being corrupt, dictatorial and of threatening Thailand's widely revered monarchy."

Yeh, when everybody knows that's their job.

Red Force,

Red Brigade

Kmer Rouge

Red Army

Red Shirts,

Samma Samma,as we say in Malay

I love how the foreign press decides to clump everyone who is against Thaksin as an "elite". Let's see, I hate Thaksin but I have no connections to the military, police, or the royal palace. I'm originally from Chiang Mai but now living in Bangkok so that does that qualify me as an elite?

For the rest of you "elites" out there, where can I get my elite membership card? Oh, you can send me the Thailand Elite Card too :)

Time for those elections now that Thaksin's will and that of the red shirts is broken as confirmed by a number of knowledgeable posters-don't hold your breath. :)

No reason to have elections - government is governing, coalition is stable. That, in and of itself, must drive the Reds crazy. As they are the only ones calling for a new round, it's easy to see which horse "Thailand" is backing. To bad its the wrong one.

We have an imperfect but functional government in place applying actual fixes to several fundamental problems,

and not attempting grand dislocations of people for ideological reasons.

No reason to change the LEGISLATURES MANDATE,

since the legislature has installed by due process a functioning government.

Tis true those advocating new elections, are only those backing PTP and by direct extension Thaksin.

Unless he is dropped like the hot potato he is, as an even more damaged goods 'political platform'

then they have no chance of taking power.... Without him, they will still win seats,

with him as nothing more than puppet master.. and financier, there can only be more trouble.

For the good of the country the Reds and PTP MUST separate from Thaksin Inc

and become it's own entity... or there can be no peace.

I think that Thaksin brought the case to court

You believe that Thaksin brought this case to court ? Oh Dear ! :)

Well exactly Oh Dear.

A completely ludicrous statement based on wishful thinking, not on reality.

Thaksin has tried mightily to SPIN this that way, but in the end he

GOT CAUGHT, both hands in the cookie jar and tries to blame the person who caught him.

He maybe 'smart' with monopoly interests to make profits,

but left on his own, he is just a lame duck quacking in the fading sun.