Massive 8.8 Magnitude Quake Rocks Chile; Tsunami warnings was issued

george

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates:

Tsunami warnings now in effect for Russia, Japan, Taiwan, in addition to much of South Central America, Pacific islands, U.S. West Coast

Hawaiian officials warned to plan for #tsunami waves as high as 12 feet - KHNL-TV

Tsunami recorded here: http://bit.ly/cuEt3I 2,900 NM Southeast of Hawaii

MSNBC says tsunami warning for U.S. West Coast - Correction: Tsunami alert for California is an advisory, not a warning

Chile death toll now 122 - CNN

The status as I just heard it is ....no idea what is coming, anyone in the Pacific basin should assume a killer wave is coming.

If you know anybody, anywhere in the region of West Pacific Coast, that lives on or near the ocean...please, do what you can to contact them. Feel silly later.

I have relatives in Queensland that regularly go boating for days in the Pacific. Any other family that can contact them are phones off, or message service. I would be happier if someone could wake them up at home in the wee hours of the morning (their home phone does not answer).

The status as I just heard it is ....no idea what is coming, anyone in the Pacific basin should assume a killer wave is coming.

If you know anybody, anywhere in the region of West Pacific Coast, that lives on or near the ocean...please, do what you can to contact them. Feel silly later.

I have relatives in Queensland that regularly go boating for days in the Pacific. Any other family that can contact them are phones off, or message service. I would be happier if someone could wake them up at home in the wee hours of the morning (their home phone does not answer).

Certain parts of the east coast of Australia have a MARINE WARNING only, not a LAND WARNING......deep breaths now.Have a look at the link i posted on page 3 of this thread, its all there.

BNO News: Warning sirens sounding in Hawaii right now. Evacuations underway in Hawaii in advance of a possible tsunami.

Magnitude 6.3 quake hits Argentina, centered near Salta - U.S. Geological Survey

Now word of major 7.5 earthquake in southwestern Atlantic Ocean... (in the middle of nowhere btw) No tsunami risk.

Certain parts of the east coast of Australia have a MARINE WARNING only, not a LAND WARNING......deep breaths now.Have a look at the link i posted on page 3 of this thread, its all there.

"I have relatives in Queensland that regularly go boating for days"...that might involve a MARINE WARNING? I appreciate you have already posted something useful, but the information I am getting on mass media is changing quickly. An 'expert' speaking on CNN said minutes ago..'people should assume a killer...anywhere in the Pacific basin'. I am pretty sure that information came to me since you posted on page 3. Really, really simple...if you know someone that could possibly be in danger, and you can reach them...do it!

Glad to report I contacted my rellies through Facebook. They are at home and have a heads up to try and contact any of their boating friends.

Something is brewing here. Haiti, Japan, Chile, record snow fall on East coast of US - mother earth is angry.

I hope to hel_l this is just randomness messing with my head and all of this just happens to be going on right now - but seems far more likely that the earth is undergoing some kind of huge changes nobody understands yet. Could be global warming related, who knows - but I think the shit is about to hit the fan.

If its global warming related, how do you explain these Tsunamis between AD 365 and the late 1800's?

Major Historical Tsunamis

Date Place Description Estimated Deaths July 21, AD 365 Alexandria Generated by earthquake 50,000 + June 7, 1692 Port Royal, Jamaica Generated by earthquake Thousands 1707 Japan Generated by earthquake 30,000 November 1, 1755 Lisbon, Portugal Waves 6-15 m high generated by earthquake 10,000-60,000 August 8, 1868 Arica, Chile 15 m wave generated by earthquake Thousands August 26-27, 1883 Krakatoa, Indonesia Generated by eruption of volcano 36,000 June 15, 1896 Honshu, Japan 30 m wave generated by earthquake; destroyed 280 km coastline 27,122

I never said it was global warming related. I said 'it could be global warming related, who knows' and said "seems far more likely that the earth is undergoing some kind of huge changes nobody understands yet". That nobody includes me, you and the smartest scientists, geologists, oceanographers and climatologists in the world. If this stuff keeps happening every week or every month - it can't be just chance.

And I wasn't only talking about Tsunami's - to my knowledge these are the first major one's since Thailand's tragedy. I was referring to the earthquakes and extreme weather changes that have been happening recently, along with this - and whatever happens next.

Point me to another period in history where there were this many seemingly random natural disasters all over the world right on top of each other.

Edited by YanTree

It is perhaps possible to effect the balance of the earth if a significant enough tsunami was to hit the north or south pole.

http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2005/01/...-polar-ice.html

I would say not. Hilarious reading. The writer has forgotten the difference of the masses. The mass of ice is minimal compared to the mass of the earth. Therefore it should not have any effect, even if the mass is on top of the surface.

-Pekka

I also believe that the author didn't think the skater (however bulemic she might be ) can weigh less than the bowling ball and therefore spin around it. He was just explaning a mathematical thing.

Update:

- 8.2-foot tsunami wave expected to strike Hilo, Hawaii, at 11:05 a.m. local time (4:05 p.m. ET) - Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

- Reported 7.5-mag earthquake in the Atlantic has been confirmed to be a false reading. No earthquake happened there. - BNO

- Automated earthquake sensors indicate 6.1-magnitude aftershock in Chile.

TODAY!!!

Spain: Storm with over 190km/hour triggers countrywide emergency.

New York: 3rd blizzard leads to over 50cm snow in the City. Over 1000 flights canceled.

Somebody in this thread said Mother Earth is angry. I think that's true.

Something is brewing here. Haiti, Japan, Chile, record snow fall on East coast of US - mother earth is angry.

I hope to hel_l this is just randomness messing with my head and all of this just happens to be going on right now - but seems far more likely that the earth is undergoing some kind of huge changes nobody understands yet. Could be global warming related, who knows - but I think the shit is about to hit the fan.

I disagree. The sh?t is not *about to hit the fan*, it is hitting. Hard.

Update:

33rd major aftershock, magnitude 5.5, centered off Bio-Bio shore of Chile - U.S. Geological Survey

First hour has passed for Mexico. When no waves have arrived for 2 hours after the ETA, the danger has passed. - BNO NEWS

No major damage reported from 6.3-magnitude quake near Salta, Argentina, but cell phone service is out - Buenos Aires Herald

This is the buoy off Manzanillo, Mexico http://bit.ly/dbmHG8

If its global warming related, how do you explain these Tsunamis between AD 365 and the late 1800's?

Major Historical Tsunamis

Date Place Description Estimated Deaths July 21, AD 365 Alexandria Generated by earthquake 50,000 + June 7, 1692 Port Royal, Jamaica Generated by earthquake Thousands 1707 Japan Generated by earthquake 30,000 November 1, 1755 Lisbon, Portugal Waves 6-15 m high generated by earthquake 10,000-60,000 August 8, 1868 Arica, Chile 15 m wave generated by earthquake Thousands August 26-27, 1883 Krakatoa, Indonesia Generated by eruption of volcano 36,000 June 15, 1896 Honshu, Japan 30 m wave generated by earthquake; destroyed 280 km coastline 27,122

I never said it was global warming related. I said 'it could be global warming related, who knows' and said "seems far more likely that the earth is undergoing some kind of huge changes nobody understands yet". That nobody includes me, you and the smartest scientists, geologists, oceanographers and climatologists in the world. If this stuff keeps happening every week or every month - it can't be just chance.

And I wasn't only talking about Tsunami's - to my knowledge these are the first major one's since Thailand's tragedy. I was referring to the earthquakes and extreme weather changes that have been happening recently, along with this - and whatever happens next.

Point me to another period in history where there were this many seemingly random natural disasters all over the world right on top of each other.

I agree. And I agree that nobody seems to really know.

As for GW being a possible cause for earthquakes...I have read an article that puts forward this idea. The rationale behind it is that with ice melting, the dynamics of the plate tectonics changes.

Nobody knows.

I disagree. The sh?t is not *about to hit the fan*, it is hitting. Hard.

Get a grip:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Plate