Thai Visa In Brisbane?

I'm a U.K. Citizen in Brisbane. Contemplating returning to Thailand towards the end of March.

Would it be easy to get a non-imm. (15 month) Visa at the consulate here?

I'm younger than 50, I'm not married to a Thai, and I don't work in Thailand. But I've known people in the UK get non-imm Visas easily. However, it's not clear from the websites whether I qualify???

If I can get one in Brisbane, how long does it take to process? What evidence do I need to show?

My understanding of the non-imm Visa is that it doesn't restrict you from leaving Thailand for impromptu visits to other SE Asian countries. (But a Tourist Visa will use up an entry).

Brisbane will now require that you submit a short note with ID from a friend in Thailand asking for a visa for you.

That could possibly be arranged. But it might take a little time. What's the processing time for the Visa?

Go to Perth cheaper, to get a non imm o,you need a letter from a Thai lady with copy of ID card, stating your relationship and duration.

Perth open tuesday and thursday 9am to 2pm hit the consol at 9am with $230 and proof of funds passport and girls letter.

Brig Bill Jamerson the consul, a lovely man and the ladies very helpful return at 12 to pick up visa. Fly Tiger, Air Asia and or Jetstar.

Got a visa in Brisbane in 5 minutes last time, also good, near Mater hospital, last turnoff on left before Brisbane Air Asia, Goldcoast, Brisbane.

good luck.

What does the letter have to say? (Will a printout of an email suffice - with scanned ID card picture?)

I get the strong impression by your replies that I have to play-up the nature of our friendship. "Stating your relationship and duration".. that sounds like a marriage/engagement kind of visa. I don't have to say I'm engaged, do I?

I assume I have to claim that she's my girlfriend, or that we're getting married in the future - or some other fiction for the purposes of bureaucracy?

I've no plans to go to Perth, but I may spend my last week here in Sydney.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I WASN'T able to get a non-imm Visa. Apparently, they're very strict in Brisbane.

They just don't give them to people unless they're over 50, married to a Thai, or own property in Thailand (which I wasn't aware was even possible - but I'm not sure a condo would be a good investment anyway).

There seemed to be no other way to get this Visa. They weren't interested in the letter that I had EMSed from Thailand.

It doesn't matter if you have money either. Whatever your wealth - you still can't get a non-imm visa unless you're over 50.

I ended up getting a Tourist visa (which was ready in half an hour.).

Sorry to hear that you were refused a non-O. Did you also have a copy of the ID-card? Your's the first report I see of a refusal if you had a letter and copy of ID from a friend in Thailand, so any additional information would be welcome. That would only leave Perth, unless they have become stricter also.

Couldn't you get a VOA at the airport and within 30 days go to Laos and get a dbl entry TV for FREE?.

That totals 90 days and then repeat the process with the xtn at Immi HQ , that way you could stay abt a year. :D

One of the TV Gurus can explain it better than moi. :)

Sorry to hear that you were refused a non-O. Did you also have a copy of the ID-card? Your's the first report I see of a refusal if you had a letter and copy of ID from a friend in Thailand, so any additional information would be welcome. That would only leave Perth, unless they have become stricter also.

Yes. I had a copy of the ID card. But they weren't even interested in this, or the letter - as I'm younger than 50, and single. (and don't own a Thai condo).

I suppose I wasn't officially "refused", as I didn't apply. But the girl told me I wasn't eligible. I tried to explore every avenue I could think of - but she was adamant about this.

He would likely not be allowed to fly from Oz without a visa of some type if he does not have an outbound ticket within 30 days.

Were you anticipating my next question? Or just replying to GungaDin's suggestion?

I was going to start a new topic, but as you started to talk about this anyway....

I couldn't get the non-imm visa, as you know, - but I bought a tourist visa instead. I'm flying from Sydney to Phuket soon (JetStar). I don't have an outbound ticket from Thailand.

Will Sydney Airport/Jetstar staff cause problems for me??

. . . . . . .

( I heard stories about Brisbane airport being "difficult", and insisting on connecting/outbound flights. Indeed, I had a difficult situation flying from Brisbane to New Zealand on JetStar once - an annoying cross-eyed woman refused my boarding pass. I actually had an outbound ticket from NZ, back to Australia - but I was going to sort out my new Australian visa online once I got to NZ. In the end, I had to buy a very expensive refundable ticket back to the UK, and I lost about £100 in currency exchanges. )

inasia,

if you have a problem with check-in staff, remember most are agents, not employees of the airline.

Ask to speak to a an airline co. representative.

Be early!

I would be more concerned with the IQ of the security staff.

I have a rock outside in my garden, with a higher IQ.

Be careful. :) & have a good trip.

• 2 months later...

Hi all , Applying monday for Non O at Brisbane Consulate i have a few concerns one is my one way flight is for one week from lodgement not 2 as i was told to bring in the application 2 weeks prior to the flight , have the ID Copy, Passport Copy and Letter from my Fiancee my passports only 4 months old but i only have about $2000 AUD in the bank till money comes back to me later in the week and im very concerned they wont qualify me on the low balance in my account. ANy Ideas how this will go ?

Stressed !!! NidNoi

Hi all , Applying monday for Non O at Brisbane Consulate i have a few concerns one is my one way flight is for one week from lodgement not 2 as i was told to bring in the application 2 weeks prior to the flight , have the ID Copy, Passport Copy and Letter from my Fiancee my passports only 4 months old but i only have about $2000 AUD in the bank till money comes back to me later in the week and im very concerned they wont qualify me on the low balance in my account. ANy Ideas how this will go ?

Stressed !!! NidNoi

OMG So proffesional so nice SOOO Thai Awesome fast effective service i was so impressed by the proffesionalisim and BEUTY of the Thai Consulate in Brisbane 20 minutes tops and my paper work was complete , no thanks to their staff and Thai Visas Older knowledgable people helping me i am in deb to you all and was that the most impressive consular girl anybod has ever met !!!! she put my heart on hold and I saw no RING !!!! Georgious and So Smart someone is a luckyman or Will be CHeers Thai Consulate Brisbane What a service !

• 9 months later...

I'd be interested how you go.

I have had three Non Immigrant O's from Perth to visit gf (about 4 to 5 months each year for the last 4 years). Now they are closed, and the apparent tightening up of the "visiting freinds" part not sure what to do now.

I have a Thai bank account, but only girlfriends name is on rental place (shop house) that she runs a business from on the ground floor. Given that business operates well I have only left money with her when I leave and only occasionally transferred money (a spartan written record of support). I do pay the rent on the place though but again in her name.

Never thought I would need a paper trail as was going to go for Retirement visa in a few years anyway. No intention of marrying until well after retirement if at all, so the apparent changes have thrown a spanner into the works.

Worse comes to worse its a run to the border but that is a pain in the arse.

Good luck.