Private Thai Lesson

david1

I have been checking around various schools and find the price per class for Thai lessons varies. It appears the average is 300 Baht per hour. Does this appear in line? I have looked in Bangkok and Phuchet. I assume the farther North you go the cheaper? Any in put would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is no natural correspondence between North and price. Especially when you hit the Burmese border... or the Chinese one. :o

300 baht per hour seems in line, yes. You will find (often less qualified, but no guarantee) teachers who will teach you for less, I have seen as low as 150 baht per hour on posters in the universities. There will be people interested in a language exchange as well, in which case you will get your tutoring in exchange for teaching English.

Ask for a lesson free and see what you think first.

AUA in Chiang Mai charges around 300 bhat per hour for outside teaching, but the typical hourly for private tutoring here ranges from 80-150 baht, in my experience. Quality varies, as some Thais think that just because Thai is their native language, they can teach it, too....

I pay 100 baht per hour for a so-so teacher, but she's cute and nice, too. That's added value, in my book :o

Quality varies, as some Thais think that just because Thai is their native language, they can teach it, too....

Lots of Europeans think that way about their own language too ... :o

I tried teaching English once, and it is not that easy. But where would you find a teacher for Thai?? Best one I ever found was a 40 year old ex bar girl in the UK who had married an Englishman, been abused, and gotten divorced. Her English was pretty poor, but she was so encouraging for us Pommies to learn Thai, and gave so much positive feedback it really made you feel like trying.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been checking around various schools and find the price per class for Thai lessons varies.   It appears the average is 300 Baht per hour.   Does this appear in line?   I have looked in Bangkok and Phuchet.   I assume the farther North you go the cheaper?   Any in put would be appreciated.    Thanks.

In bkk I have seen 250-600 baht for professional teachers. A really good teacher is particulary important if you want to learn to read and write. These tone rules explanations can be quite tricky...

Edited by ~G~

I have been checking around various schools and find the price per class for Thai lessons varies.  It appears the average is 300 Baht per hour.  Does this appear in line?  I have looked in Bangkok and Phuchet.  I assume the farther North you go the cheaper?  Any in put would be appreciated.    Thanks.

In bkk I have seen 250-600 baht for professional teachers. A really good teacher is particulary important if you want to learn to read and write. These tone rules explanations can be quite tricky...

Agreed. To teach Thai writing is tricky business.

If your teacher cannot make you understand the difference between the SOUNDS of Thai as they relate to consonants and groups of consonants, you will only get confused and think "it is all too difficult for me anyway". There is no easy shortcut to learning the basics of the writing system, it takes time and effort, and you will get stuck several times. If your teacher cannot explain to you how to solve your problems, he/she is not much help, right?

• 3 months later...

Sawatdii Ka!

We are a small group of Teachers of the Thai language with many years of teaching experience. We offer reading, writing, and speaking Thai step by step. Learn to speak Thai with confidence! We offer lessons to all levels of experience, from beginner, intermediate, advanced intermediate, advanced, and expert.

With reasonable rates, we can teach on-site at your home or office and help you develop your command of the Thai language. For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We may be reached at:

[email protected]

We look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy learning Thai with us!

I have been checking around various schools and find the price per class for Thai lessons varies.  It appears the average is 300 Baht per hour.  Does this appear in line?  I have looked in Bangkok and Phuchet.  I assume the farther North you go the cheaper?  Any in put would be appreciated.    Thanks.

My bf. who is american. He has been studying thai @ P&A Language Center at silom for 2 months already. Now his thai is pretty good, we mostly communicated in Thai and I'm happy with that . They also have trial lesson. Beside the school is close to BTS Saladeang ,Silom 64 building 7 floor. check it out ! :o

khonnaarak

I have been recently looking and 250 to 350 seems average for blocks of 20 to 30 hours for private lessons.

I would love to know if anyone can recommend any of the 3 schools that seemed ok by me...

ProLanguage on Sukhumvit near soi 5 in the NaiLert building..

Somchart Language school in Soi 11 sukhumvit..

Jentana And sssociates in soi 31 sukhumvit..

i have studied there on and off for 3 years , and can recommend it.

you could buy a 20 hour course and see how you get on.

the teachers (all except one i think) are university grads.

none of them are trained teachers , but they do want to see their students progress and are patient and helpful.

the teaching is usually one to one and its all very informal and friendly.

if you cannot speak any thai then they will start you with the very basics , if you already have some thai language ability then they will start you at a higher level.

very little english is used in the lessons.

to benefit from it all you will need to prepare lessons in advance and spend a lot of time revising and learning by yourself.

my advice would be to study speaking and reading and writing right from the start.

if you are not happy with any particular teacher , you can speak to the "headmistress" and she will ensure that you are not booked with that teacher again.

once you get started , if you are unhappy with the teaching material they supply , you can bring along any of the teaching books available in the bookshops and use those.

as i posted above , i was helped a lot by the p and a school on silom too , but yes , somchart is cheaper.

if you are to have any success with thai you need to put a lot of work into it outside of the school , get as much exposure to the sounds of the language as possible , so you can recognise the words as they spoken , most of the teaching material used is just so-so , but hearing the words spoken is the important thing , it trains your hearing to pick up the sounds and trains the brain and speech muscles to reproduce them correctly , and thats what i find is the main benefit.

pronunciation has to be right.

Edited by taxexile

i have studied there on and off for 3 years , and can recommend it.

you could buy a 20 hour course and see how you get on.

the teachers (all except one i think) are university grads.

none of them are trained teachers , but they do want to see their students progress and are patient and helpful.

the teaching is usually one to one and its all very informal and friendly.

if you cannot speak any thai then they will start you with the very basics , if you already have some thai language ability then they will start you at a higher level.

very little english is used in the lessons.

to benefit from it all you will need to prepare lessons in advance and spend a lot of time revising and learning by yourself.

my advice would be to study speaking and reading and writing right from the start.

if you are not happy with any particular teacher , you can speak to the "headmistress" and she will ensure that you are not booked with that teacher again.

once you get started , if you are unhappy with the teaching material they supply , you can bring along any of the teaching books available in the bookshops and use those.

as i posted above , i was helped a lot by the p and a school on silom too , but yes , somchart is cheaper.

if you are to have any success with thai you need to put a lot of work into it outside of the school , get as much exposure to the sounds of the language as possible , so you can recognise the words as they spoken , most of the teaching material used is just so-so , but hearing the words spoken is the important thing , it trains your hearing to pick up the sounds and trains the brain and speech muscles to reproduce them correctly , and thats what i find is the main benefit.

pronunciation has to be right.

You are right when you write that someone has to put a lot of work into it outside of the school to progress fast, but as I might not be the only one LAZY STUDENT (but less lazy than somebody who doesn't learn at all!), I can advice to go to the school everyday even if you have no time or don't want to work at home: that's what I'm doing, and it seems I can progress anyway (but for sure slower than any japanese who student 3 hours daily at school and then 3 more hours at home, impressive!).

So it's more expensive and takes longer period for me to learn, but what's time and money in Thailand ? ;-)

And for sure you can change your teacher if you don't like her, but please, be kind, don't blame her too much when you speak about her with the "headmistress", life might not be easy for them!

Any suggestions then for a lazy, dumb, tone deaf person with a bad memory to learn ?

My bf. also has a bad memory but his teacher working hard on that. They gave him homework kinda translation into Thai that's very helpful for word order , can speak long sentence and remember all new vocabulary. I like the method of P&A to teach him. And even before my bf.was very lazy to study Thai but now he likes it , teachers fun and friendly .Who cares even a bit more expensive, but worth. I'm happy to recomment P&A @ Silom though.

khonnaarak. :o