Cooking Sticky Rice

Totster

In a pudding basin, covered with a 'pudding' cloth, in a saucepan 1/3 full of water, topped up as and when necessary, and covered with a well fitting lid.

Tends to take longer, but experience, through trial and error, you will get the desired result! :o

Steamars are available through most oriental food outlets.

Edited by khunlungphudhu

In a pudding basin, covered with a 'pudding' cloth, in a saucepan 1/3 full of water, topped up as and when necessary, and covered with a well fitting lid.

Tends to take longer, but experience, through trial and error, you will get the desired result! :D

Excellent... Many thanks :o

totster :D

And then there’s the Baden Powell method:

Go down to the local wood merchants and order several yards of 1 to 1½ inch thick bamboo.

Cut the bamboo into 18 inch lengths and fill with sticky rice mixture.

Make a wood fire in the back (or front) garden of about 3 yards by 1 yard in size.

As the flames are beginning to die down and the embers are glowing, push the bamboo into the ground around the fire (2 inches into the ground and about 6 inches from the fire).

Keep the fire hot for about 2 to 3 hours and Voila – snack-sized sticky rice in their own transportable containers.

Every ex-pat’s welcome Siamese addition to the often mundane barbie - when held away from LOS.

How does one cook/steam sticky rice without a steamer and basket... ?  If it can be done at all that is... :o

Sorry if it's a stupid question...  :D

totster  :D

If you have a microwave, you can cook sticky rice with out a lot of fanfare.

1. Using a glass bowl - soak the rice for about 20 minutes

2. Pour out most of the water, leaving just enough to cover the rice.

3. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap.

4. Depending on the amount of rice, cook between 4-6 minutes.

5. Turn the rice in the bowl around so that the top rice gets to the bottom, etc.

6. Microwave another 3-5 minutes depending on the amount of rice.

That's it! I even found that you don't really have to soak the rice for 20 minutes if you don't have the time - just cover with water (about 1 inch above the rice), microwave 1 or 2 minutes, then proceed from step 2 on. If it looks too dry, add a little more water before cooking the 2nd time, if too wet, pour out a little more water, or repeat steps 5 & 6. Just have to be careful when opening the plastic wrap - the steam from the rice is very, very, hot. Works well for busy people.....

And then there’s the Baden Powell method:

Go down to the local wood merchants and order several yards of 1 to 1½ inch thick bamboo.

Cut the bamboo into 18 inch lengths and fill with sticky rice mixture.

Make a wood fire in the back (or front) garden of about 3 yards by 1 yard in size.

As the flames are beginning to die down and the embers are glowing, push the bamboo into the ground around the fire (2 inches into the ground and about 6 inches from the fire).

Keep the fire hot for about 2 to 3 hours and Voila – snack-sized sticky rice in their own transportable containers.

Every ex-pat’s welcome Siamese addition to the often mundane barbie  - when held away from LOS.

The Thais add coconut milk with alittle bit of sugar and a few black beans to the sticky rice, stuff the top with banana leave pluck - make a popular sticky rice snack called "khao lahm"- good stuff - famous around Cholburi on the way to Pattaya - the ones with black sticky rice are most yummy.....

Hi Totty,

as you work in one of the best towns to get Indian ingredients, stuff some in your bags for yr next trip east.

I loved shopping there about 10 yrs ago. :D

I was walking down the Lower High Street the other day and a Thai shop has just opened, can get all the favorites, including Chang and Papaya, various herbs and veggies, fantastic... the price isn't so fantastic though.. :D

I think I'll ask in there to see if they've got a steamer .... :o

cheers ... "rice advice !! ".... :D ( I know it's lame, but it made me laugh )

That microwave , method sounds appealing, I'm gonna give it whirl.. :D

You can buy baskets and alu pots in UK. I used to sell them. Funnily enough,I threw a load out last year when I sold up. You can buy them at Wing Yip( Croydon)See woo ( Charlton)or any Thai shop really.

If you are going to steam the sticky rice then don't forget to soak it overnite first.

My wife says to do this:

Rinse the rice'

Soak it overnite

Throw out the water you soaked it in.

Rinse the rice again...if you don't rinse here it can be sour

Steam

I've never done this myself.

*Update*

That shop that I referred to earlier does indeed sell the pot and basket... I will be making my purchase later in the week....:o

Thanks all for the suggestions, espescially the microwave one... I shall be trying that also... :D

Just a question RE the cooking, The instructions say to "wrap the rice in muslim"... My wife, her family and anyone else I have seen (in the village) don't do this. Is it a preference thing, or hygiene or something.... ?? :o

If you are going to steam the sticky rice then don't forget to soak it overnite first.

My wife says to do this:

Rinse the rice'

Soak it overnite

Throw out the water you soaked it in.

Rinse the rice again...if you don't rinse here it can be sour

Steam

I've never done this myself.

That could explain why my sticky rice doesn't quite measure up -- I didn't rinse the rice after soaking. Also, I've been told to cook it about 30 min, which is 10 min more than my way. I'll try these on my next attempt.

Just a question RE the cooking, The instructions say to "wrap the rice in muslim"... My wife, her family and anyone else I have seen (in the village) don't do this. Is it a preference thing, or hygiene or something.... ?? :D

Hygene......have you ever tried to clean one of those baskets? :D

Be very careful - the word is muslin not muslim.

A muslim is someone who believes in the religion of Islam.

If you live in the south of Thailand, it is perhaps not a good idea to wrap sticky rice in a muslim, as this action could have very unfortunate consequences. :o

If you live in the south of Thailand, it is perhaps not a good idea to wrap sticky rice in a muslim, as this action could have very unfortunate consequences

My error, and since fixed. Hope nobody followed my advice :D

On another recipe, as a little joke, I added to the ingredients,

"6 monkey tails (optional)"

Their was actually a thread at alt.food.asian and some other forums, on where to locate fresh monkey tales for this recipe... :o

Edited by Ajarn

If you live in the south of Thailand, it is perhaps not a good idea to wrap sticky rice in a muslim, as this action could have very unfortunate consequences. :o

:D:D

Thankyou for pointing that out TM..... Looks like I won't have to hang around outside the local mosque after all.... :D

My error, and since fixed. Hope nobody followed my advice  :D

My error also..... did it say that on the site...? must have just used the spelling subconciously..... I knew what was meant though ... :D

Tends to take longer, but experience, through trial and error, you will get the desired result! :D

Excellent... Many thanks :o

Tom, You stole the words right out out of my mouth. Here in the upper Korat Plateau we call this Khowneeo and with the purple glutenous rice it is called Khowneeo Dum sp?? Saep Baw!!!

:D:D

Thankyou for pointing that out TM..... Looks like I won't have to hang around outside the local mosque after all.... :D

My error, and since fixed. Hope nobody followed my advice  :D

My error also..... did it say that on the site...? must have just used the spelling subconciously..... I knew what was meant though ... :D

ROTFL :D:D:D

How does one cook/steam sticky rice without a steamer and basket... ?   If it can be done at all that is... :o

Sorry if it's a stupid question...  :D

totster  :D

If you have a microwave, you can cook sticky rice with out a lot of fanfare.

1. Using a glass bowl - soak the rice for about 20 minutes

2. Pour out most of the water, leaving just enough to cover the rice.

3. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap.

4. Depending on the amount of rice, cook between 4-6 minutes.

5. Turn the rice in the bowl around so that the top rice gets to the bottom, etc.

6. Microwave another 3-5 minutes depending on the amount of rice.

That's it! I even found that you don't really have to soak the rice for 20 minutes if you don't have the time - just cover with water (about 1 inch above the rice), microwave 1 or 2 minutes, then proceed from step 2 on. If it looks too dry, add a little more water before cooking the 2nd time, if too wet, pour out a little more water, or repeat steps 5 & 6. Just have to be careful when opening the plastic wrap - the steam from the rice is very, very, hot. Works well for busy people.....

She's right on the money. Been married to my thai guy for close to 30 years and steamed a lot of stick rice, but don't like the work. doing it this way in the microwave it turns out almost everytime and doesn't take time.

Beachbunny

Does that microwave system work for plain rice?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Plain rice put in the microwave will EXPLODE. Whatever you do don't experiment with plain rice in a microwave by putting varying amounts of water and rice in a container and trying different durations......the results could be DISASTER.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Plain rice put in the microwave will EXPLODE. Whatever you do don't experiment with plain rice in a microwave by putting varying amounts of water and rice in a container and trying different durations......the results could be DISASTER.

It would seem that the following links would disagree with you.... :o:D

http://experts.about.com/q/766/2957774.htm

http://www.bawarchi.com/contribution/contrib1901.html

http://www.infolanka.com/recipes/mess1/65.html

Not a microwave story, but a deep-fry one. A funny thing happened to me one day when I used fresh corn kernels to make corn fritters - speaking of explosions! I even had a screen over the frying pan and the oil still exploded throughn it. Stupid me, I continued until one hit me right under my left eye and that was when I quit. The fritters were really good, but I don't think I'll make them again - anyone with a good recipe for this? I love corn fritters and hush puppies.....