Cooking Sticky Rice

Totster

Success with the MW last nite. :o

1 cup of rice (rinsed thoroughly) 2 cups water for 20 mins 1000W.

I had a great little MW rice pot in BKK for about $2. from a small plastic goods shop on the same side as Panthip Plaza but nr the Skytrain station end of the road.

How does one cook/steam sticky rice without a steamer and basket... ?  If it can be done at all that is... :o

Sorry if it's a stupid question...  :D

totster  :D

If you have a microwave, you can cook sticky rice with out a lot of fanfare.

1. Using a glass bowl - soak the rice for about 20 minutes

2. Pour out most of the water, leaving just enough to cover the rice.

3. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap.

4. Depending on the amount of rice, cook between 4-6 minutes.

5. Turn the rice in the bowl around so that the top rice gets to the bottom, etc.

6. Microwave another 3-5 minutes depending on the amount of rice.

That's it! I even found that you don't really have to soak the rice for 20 minutes if you don't have the time - just cover with water (about 1 inch above the rice), microwave 1 or 2 minutes, then proceed from step 2 on. If it looks too dry, add a little more water before cooking the 2nd time, if too wet, pour out a little more water, or repeat steps 5 & 6. Just have to be careful when opening the plastic wrap - the steam from the rice is very, very, hot. Works well for busy people.....

She's right on the money. Been married to my thai guy for close to 30 years and steamed a lot of stick rice, but don't like the work. doing it this way in the microwave it turns out almost everytime and doesn't take time.

Beachbunny

Gave the above method a whirl today.... worked a treat :D

The rice came out a little bit too sticky so I'll use less water next time, or change the cooking time.... but it was still fantastic. :D

Many Thanks

Totster :D

Does that microwave system work for plain rice?

It should. I have never tried it, but have seen a "rice pot" for microwave at the Central department store, so it's possible.....

:D

I use a microwave ricepot when I'm in a hurry. Nice, but very unforgiving if you overcook by even 20-30 seconds... :o

Anyway, I prefer Japanese style sticky rice and, regardless of cooking method :D :

Wash short grain rice for 3 full containers of water

Let soak for 30 mins

Strain and let dry for 10 mins

dara, in maryland, we made hushpuppies with corn meal the yellow rough kind...

just mix cornmeal, salt, sugar, egg, baking soda , buttermilk until thick and gooey then put in deep hot oil, take out, and throw some to the dogs and tell them to 'shut your face'... the rest eat yourself....

the problem is the type fo cornmeal u buy: i cant find the good (real) kind in israel, its all very powdery so doesnt come out the same

when u make fritters from fresh corn, mash them a bit so the juice goes out; beat eggs whites separate from the egg yoke and fold in, use some buttermilk (the real kind that is fresh non pasteurized milk left out overnite works best, if not, then bought stuff) and remember, when using yogurt and buttermilk, u must use baking soda (its a chemical thing dont remember why) and use a really heavy pan, iron is preferable, or thick bottomed pan (not a wok they come out horrible that way).

I tried the microwave method on a cup of Japanese rice but it didn't work. The rice came out very hard. :D I tried adding more water and cooking it about 4-5 minutes more but rice was still hard. The sticky rice, however, came out very nice. :o

• 1 month later...

I am ignorant on the subjuct of any style of cooking other than Kraft Mac and Cheese. But in recent years I have developed a taste for Asian cuisine. I have since mastered my favorite meals I get from local restuarants, but I am still missing the sticky rice part. Anyways, can any one recommend brands of rice, or what I should look for on the package to make sticky rice and also wear to buy it?

I am in Minnesota by the way.

Anyways, can any one recommend brands of rice, or what I should look for on the package to make sticky rice and also wear to buy it?

I am in Minnesota by the way.

i think you can buy from asian grocery stores

Thai Grocery

1383 Maryland Avenue E

Saint Paul, MN 55106-2862

http://www.thethiagrocery.com/index.html

(from google)

what I should look for on the package to make sticky rice

Glutinous Rice ,Sweet rice, Sticky rice,

Bambi

Edited by BambinA

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm....when I asked my GF how to show me how to make sticky rice she said the rice you pick is as important as how to cook it.

The rice most people in Thailand use for sticky rice is not the same as the rice you add to water when you want rice as a side dish to your pot roast and corn.

It even looks different. The rice most farangs are use to has a clear quality to it, as if, light can pass through it.

Sicky Rice many Thai people cook is white like an asprin.

Look at the photo I attached and you can see what I am talking about.

I asked her if you can make sticky rice with the regular rice and she looked at me like I was asking a question about some "taboo" subject.

:o

To put it in terms a farang can understand, its like trying to make a really good hamburger, using pork and not beef.

post-19457-1121754834_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

nicker!! dont do it!!!

in desparation one day i bought japanese glutinous rice in our kibbutz store; after making it in the sticky rice pot, my issan friends took one bite and gave it to the ducks to eat.... it doesnt work the same way.....it didnt ball up, it stuck all right but was gluey ooyey....

thai sticky rice is the kou niew; japanese sticky is the sushi rice....

by the way, also in desperation i bought himalayan long grain white rice since we didnt have any thai mali rice... basmati , persian, rissotto, etc just dont cut it.... the himalayan was tasty but the thais didnt like that either, the rice was too, well, separate one from an other (not sticky rice but regualr but still too separate as they put it)....

they are to rice as we are to the types of breads we are fussy about...

the only thai mali rice i can find is in the arab villages for some reason, they cook with it a lot...

• 2 years later...
If you are going to steam the sticky rice then don't forget to soak it overnite first.

My wife says to do this:

Rinse the rice'

Soak it overnite

Throw out the water you soaked it in.

Rinse the rice again...if you don't rinse here it can be sour

Steam

I've never done this myself.

That could explain why my sticky rice doesn't quite measure up -- I didn't rinse the rice after soaking. Also, I've been told to cook it about 30 min, which is 10 min more than my way. I'll try these on my next attempt.

Yes, there are the two ways to soak the rice. Doing it overnight means 50% less time the next day when steaming. The other way, where you soak it for 4-8 hours (depends on recipe) during the daytime, then you cook it 15-30 min (the first time, expect it to be wrong, but figure out which time is correct for your stove or steamer) on one side, then flip it over for cooking of an equal time. Then enjoy! :o

Edited by Ajarn

Does that microwave system work for plain rice?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Plain rice put in the microwave will EXPLODE. Whatever you do don't experiment with plain rice in a microwave by putting varying amounts of water and rice in a container and trying different durations......the results could be DISASTER.

Not true.You can cook plain rice in the microwave but why would you.To cook in the microwave you cook for the same amount of time with the same amount of water as if you are using a stove top.

And then there’s the Baden Powell method:

Go down to the local wood merchants and order several yards of 1 to 1½ inch thick bamboo.

Cut the bamboo into 18 inch lengths and fill with sticky rice mixture.

Make a wood fire in the back (or front) garden of about 3 yards by 1 yard in size.

As the flames are beginning to die down and the embers are glowing, push the bamboo into the ground around the fire (2 inches into the ground and about 6 inches from the fire).

Keep the fire hot for about 2 to 3 hours and Voila – snack-sized sticky rice in their own transportable containers.

Every ex-pat’s welcome Siamese addition to the often mundane barbie - when held away from LOS.

Yes this is called khao lahm.We like to use peanuts,but most of the ones you see for sale are with black beans.Check out the photos cooking khao lahm.

post-14263-1212606986_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1212606997_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...