On Tv..be Careful, Words Have Power

cognos

I think far too many people here make things far too personal and because they cannot rebuke,debate, have been made to look "wrong" "silly"( there is no wrong when we learn)usually just plain foolish and so resorts to the the cowardly acts of insulting someone.

From behind this techno wall-knowing full well that they would never dare say that to someones face. Thats cowardly. I was taught never to say or write, etc anything i would not say to someones face.unless I wanted to be a coward, a back stabber,

Yes, people should say what they feel, but insult someone they do not know?

people should not do this surely

its just as easy to say things in a nice way and be postive

We are what we do and think and say in many respects.We are humans, apes yes, but smarter ones, or at least we should be. Why not use this great tool in a far more positive way?

Is it not a shame that the only ape that spends so much time insulting other apes, being negative,posturing-is us?

They offer no rebuke,simply because they cannot and what does this achieve? Anything at all? Does add to the debate, teach something,create anything positive at all?

Other than them looking more foolish and thinking they have saved some face.

When two people debate once an insult is used the focus of the debate, usually becomes detracted from the subject and focused on saving face- that stupid male ego thing.

The debate takes second place to the battle of the ego.

Most falls out in diplomacy occur because of the way the exchange went.The wrong choice of words have caused wars.

The right ones can make someones day and the world a nicer place.

IMO, I think that the problem with internet forums is that the majority of writers (including myself) do not have the skill to put "tone" to their words, thereby leaving their written words to be interpreted in whatever way the reader is in a mood to interpret.

I'm like Ian Forbes' daughter....I shoot from the hip, call a spade a spade....often with no ill-intent, just stating fact, but the pessimistic reader will put his/her interpretation on it, which is often wrong, and things go downhill from there.

It's not just lack of tone of voice, but also lack of accompanying body language.

Emoticons help. I vote that the emoticon library should be increased to include every imaginable emotion, and that all emoticons have a very distinct, descriptive label.

They say that losing face is a huge issue in LOS, and I would argue that it is just as big of an issue in western culture, just in different shades of grey.

Yes Bjoe 97, words can cut like knife, and many a life has been lost due to errant tongues.

Harcourt points out that misinterpretation is at the heart of the misunderstandings. One persons innocent "joke" from their point of view is taken out of context by other.

The bottom line is.." Darwinism " is alive and well on TV, as people who slander and flame are warned and subsequently banned as necessary. The lowest common denominator of TV poster in terms of their negative word choices gets "whacked" (on TV and everywhere)..Basically it comes down to the Golden Rule, but there is no need to walk on eggshells.

signed: rhetoric is tricky

..this is what should be avoided with respect to choice of words written or spoken..

..using words in a way to thinly veil an agenda to increase your power..

..using words to put a wedge between you and others..

.. words spoken to children that stick with them..plague them like a curse..

example: " you will amount to nothing.."