Do The Thais Like Living In Thailand?

eurasianthai

Sure, most of them have no choice and have to live in Thailand.

But given the choice, would they live in Thailand?

I'm actually not sure about that, most of my Thai colleagues want me to send them abroad, for as long as possible.

My sister in law is in the US and does not want to come back to Thailand.

The children of two of my best European friends having a Thai wife and who studied in European universities just do not want to come back to Thailand.

Do the foreigners see Thailand for what it is not, an easy place to live?

(and I'm one ot them... :):D )

Edited by eurasianthai

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of what they say, most people move due to their personal situation, rather than their home country's situation.

Sure, but your personal situation is not divorced from the realities of the country that you live in.

They miss their family indeed, but do they really miss the country?

Not really a statistical study, but all the Thais I know who moved abroad with their husband, wife or parents never came back to Thailand on a permanent basis.

And never tried to.

Same for quite a few Thais I know who studied abroad and never came back.

Edited by eurasianthai

The Thai's that realise how good it is here are the ones that move to say Scunthorpe under the false impression their so called millionaire husband lives in a castle when he actually lives in a run down shoddy council flat that hasn't seen a lick of paint since 1968 with the local Kebab shop as the culinary delight after a Friday night out on the piss. These are the ones that return faster than a butchers dog.

One of the main reasons some return here is they have failed to adapt to the weather conditions of the other country. This i'm sure everyone will agree is totally understandable. Another one is diet and i'd say the other main reason is missing family. But to answer the question "do they miss this country" i think the answer is that most do not.

I'm English, and i have some Thai friends who live in England and i can tell you that they get a far better deal there than here. They say they have a better standard of life and are very happy there. I can only take their word for it but if so good luck to them. My wife on the other hand did'nt take to it at all overthere and we flew back to Thailand as soon as possible

My wife actually would not mind living in Europe, she asked me a few times.

Sure the weather could be a problem, but she is not really the sunbathing type, does somebody know Thais who are?

Her sister lives in Minnesota, and I never heard her complaining about the weather. And well, do you know Minnesota weather? :)

What her sister misses and what my wife would miss is their mother (before anybody asks, father passed away quite some time ago)

But not the country, or the weather, I think.

Edited by eurasianthai

None of my friends here would like to live in another country.

However, they are willing to work in another country for shorter (5-6 months) periods.

But they all want to live here.

Same with my wife as well. She doesnt want to leave Thailand.

None of my friends here would like to live in another country.

However, they are willing to work in another country for shorter (5-6 months) periods.

But they all want to live here.

Same with my wife as well. She doesnt want to leave Thailand.

Have they ever been abroad before to see the other side of the coin?

Thai wife and many of her friends do not want to live in Thailand. These are women who have been in Australia 5 years +

I would like a chance to live in Thailand for a while one day but over the years we have been married, I've come to understand why she would rather stay in Australia.

• Like 1

My Thai wife dreads coming back to Thailand, I think the only thing 'pulling' her back are her immediate family, I am sure that once mum 'turns her toes up' we will not be coming back as often.

We have several friends in the same boat, most agree that there are certain things they miss when not in Thailand but upon returning can't wait to leave again after a couple of weeks.

The bottom line is that once leaving the LoS they realise what a s#%t hole it is compared with other countries.

I think there are a LOT of variables in the equation. Thais as a whole are very family oriented and want to be close to their friends and family. Western families tend to move off and do their own thing. Weather CAN have a big part in the mix, but financial matters would probably have more to do with choosing one country over another. The example of some old dude bringing his young Thai honey back to dreary London to live in some council flat is a good reason for the Thai gal to return home. If she gets some estate in the country with her own maids it is less likely she'll want to return to some shack in Issan.

I think there are a LOT of variables in the equation. Thais as a whole are very family oriented and want to be close to their friends and family. Western families tend to move off and do their own thing. Weather CAN have a big part in the mix, but financial matters would probably have more to do with choosing one country over another. The example of some old dude bringing his young Thai honey back to dreary London to live in some council flat is a good reason for the Thai gal to return home. If she gets some estate in the country with her own maids it is less likely she'll want to return to some shack in Issan.

Good post Ian. However London is not dreary. Lodon is cosmopolitan, vibrant and full of life. Living with some old dude is the dreary part :)

Its all about your personal situation and what you have to compare it to. Generally most people of any nationality are fine with living in their home country for life. Brits may be an exception.

From way back Brits, being a maritime nation, have travelled. Maybe just as well cos if we all stayed our country it would be like a colony of penguins by now......no room. Bad enough as it is.

Shug

Many Thais I have met fantasize about foreign lives- usually based on very unrealistic visions such as those provided on foreign TV shows or movies (how many people shown studying, living, and working in New York city can afford the kinds of spacious and luxurious apartments often depicted?). Thais who are on the low end of the socioeconomic scale may also desire the kind of status 'reboot' that a move to another country could entail. However, most Thais I have known who have actually been abroad usually miss many things about Thailand and are relieved and happy to return as often as possible. A lot of the things they miss, I believe, are about social structures that are missing, not only because there are no Thai family and friends, but because the social networks in question do not even exist the same way in the foreign culture.

I think that there is also some envy about the lives and freedom of foreigners living here, who generally have comparatively better incomes and standards of living on average than many Thais. Thailand with a surplus of funds is a very different world than Thailand on a subsistence shoestring- and it doesn't take much money to be above that. I would even say in my earliest and poorest days here- on barely 20K- that I was enjoying a relatively comfortable life compared to most of my neighbors.

The Thai's that realise how good it is here are the ones that move to say Scunthorpe under the false impression their so called millionaire husband lives in a castle when he actually lives in a run down shoddy council flat that hasn't seen a lick of paint since 1968 with the local Kebab shop as the culinary delight after a Friday night out on the piss. These are the ones that return faster than a butchers dog.

Ah, Scunthorpe. Had the chance to work there when I was single at 21 yo. That was one crossroads I came to and made the correct decision......I stayed in Edinburgh. Now, at 62 I am approaching another crossroads....do I retire to Thailand.....very appealing.

Shug

Very few Thais are interested in living overseas, at least permanently, which is why they are so rare compared with other Asian elasticities. They barely make up 1% of the 15 million Asian Americans.

Ah, Scunthorpe. Had the chance to work there when I was single at 21 yo. That was one crossroads I came to and made the correct decision......I stayed in Edinburgh. Now, at 62 I am approaching another crossroads....do I retire to Thailand.....very appealing.

Shug

At 49 to the pound Shug...... :)

Very few Thais are interested in living overseas, at least permanently, which is why they are so rare compared with other Asian elasticities. They barely make up 1% of the 15 million Asian Americans.

In fairness most Thais have no knowledge or interest in what goes on overseas full stop

Good post Ian. However London is not dreary. Lodon is cosmopolitan, vibrant and full of life. Living with some old dude is the dreary part :)

True enough, Carmine. I was thinking more on the lines of the seedier parts of London. My sister has lived in London for the past 30 years and loves it. And, despite being a Canadian with options to live anywhere, she happily chose London for the very reasons you state. A LOT has to do with the amount of money you have... just like everywhere.

They miss their family indeed, but do they really miss the country?

Not really a statistical study, but all the Thais I know who moved abroad with their husband, wife or parents never came back to Thailand on a permanent basis.

And never tried to.

Same for quite a few Thais I know who studied abroad and never came back.

Its more difficult to murder husband abroad so they have to dig in until they get money,then back to Thailand

Well, if your life options are limited to choosing between working in the fields or making trainers for Nike, living abroad probably seems rather attractive but if you've got a good education and come from the middle classes, living abroad can quite often be a step down. My wife lived in England for 5 years doing post-grad work but always had zero interest in staying there. Why would she? Shit food, shit weather, racism, crap career prospects, absurdly over-priced housing, a generally pretty unpleasant culture, and being 6000 miles away from friends and family is not especially attractive.

Shug

Yea, I know, not as good as a couple of years ago, but the house is there near Pak Chong already, there is also a car so it would just be living costs.....in theory...(forever the optimist). I do have some savings and there is the fall-back of a private pension, that I already get, and the UK government pension that I will get in a couple of years. I`ll work `til I`m 65 and see what happens.

Actually, what might swing it to at least 6 months/6 months is that I feel so much better in Thailand healthwise. No more hassle with my legs after sciatica like I do in the cold winter in Scotland, and just a feeling of wellbeing.

Shug

Shug

Yea, I know, not as good as a couple of years ago, but the house is there near Pak Chong already, there is also a car so it would just be living costs.....in theory...(forever the optimist). I do have some savings and there is the fall-back of a private pension, that I already get, and the UK government pension that I will get in a couple of years. I`ll work `til I`m 65 and see what happens.

Actually, what might swing it to at least 6 months/6 months is that I feel so much better in Thailand healthwise. No more hassle with my legs after sciatica like I do in the cold winter in Scotland, and just a feeling of wellbeing.

Shug

you might be retiring at 66 or 67,just get this feeling that the government cannot afford to pay out.I have 8 years to draw mine so i hope i am wrong.

Many of the posts on ThaiVisa would lead me to believe that anywhere is better than Thailand.

The worlds worst drivers, the worlds lazieist people, the worlds stupidest people the worlds worst scheming cheating women, the worlds worst alcoholics, the most corrupt government and police force, and so on and so on, they are all Thai according to ThaiVisa posters, the negativity on this forum is absolutely unbelievable, especially as it comes from mainly those with a choice.

It appears that Thai people don't mind living in Thailand. 99.99% have no choice anyway, yet many ThaiVisa Farang posters who have the choice hate the place, and still live there.

Strange.

Myself, I don't live in Thailand, I have a comfortable life in my own country, it's great for holidays and I don't think I would want to spoil my image of Thailand by living there full time. Thanks mainly to this forum.

Luckily i do have a choice, I would think many of the haters of Thailand have no choice but to stay there, that's why they hate it.