Phuket Air Delay

bergerac

I was delayed 32 hours due to Phuket air incompetence in April and had to pay

£300 to buy new flight for two people to return to the Channel Islands.

Our original tickets home were non-change and as we missed check-in time they were automatically cancelled.

My insurance company are telling me I am not covered because Phuket Air were grounded on safety issues .

Any advice from anyone in the travel business would be greatly received,

Bergerac.

You need to check with your ticketing agent in regard to the terms and conditions of the ticket - it may be you are totally liable for missing the check in and if so will have no recourse. Also check exactly what is says in your insurance policy - exclusions outwith the control of the airline ie being grounded by the Uk goverment are probably not covered. I also did not understand what happened you were delayed by 32 hours and still missed the check in. were you late then Phuket Air offered you a flight 32 hours later that was subsequenlty cancelled due to the grounding if so Phuket Air have probably acted corrreclty under the terms of the ticketing agreement. Have you contacted Phkuet Air in the UK and tried to make a claim from them.

You need to check with your ticketing agent in regard to the terms and conditions of the ticket - it may be you are totally liable for missing the check in and if so will have no recourse. Also check exactly what is says in your insurance policy - exclusions outwith the control of the airline ie being grounded by the Uk goverment are probably not covered. I also did not understand what happened you were delayed by 32 hours and still missed the check in. were you late then Phuket Air offered you a flight 32 hours later that was subsequenlty cancelled due to the grounding if so Phuket Air have probably acted corrreclty under the terms of the ticketing agreement. Have you contacted Phkuet Air in the UK and tried to make a claim from them.

We checked in on time in Bangkok for the Phuket Air flight which was scheduled

to arrive 0830 Sat at Gatwick, we eventually arrived at Gatwick 1630 on the Sun

32 hours late via Sharjah and Amsterdam.

Our flight to the Channel Islands was 1255 Sun so due to Phuket Air incompetence

we had to pay £300 to buy replacement tickets as the originals were non-changeable.

The insurance company say we are not covered because the planes were grounded for safety inspections and not mechanical breakdown.

Surely the planes were grounded for safety reasons DUE to mechanical breakdown

Fuel leaking on takeoff,no operative collision avoidance system etc.

Edited by bergerac

We checked in on time in Bangkok for the Phuket Air flight which was scheduled

to arrive 0830 Sat at Gatwick, we eventually arrived at Gatwick 1630 on the Sun

32 hours late via Sharjah and Amsterdam.

Our flight to the Channel Islands was 1255 Sun so due to Phuket Air incompetence

we had to pay £300 to buy replacement tickets as the originals were non-changeable.

The insurance company say we are not covered because the planes were grounded for safety inspections and not mechanical breakdown.

Surely the planes were grounded for safety reasons DUE to mechanical breakdown

Fuel leaking on takeoff,no operative collision avoidance system etc.

I agree - read the very small print of your insurance documents does it actually mention safety inspections if not contest the insurance companies decision. Tell them you will complain about them to industry regulator. Was it a small insurance company overrighten by one of the big boys if so compain to the over-righter as well. This is a very unusual situation it is extrememly rare for a an airline flying to UK to be actually grounded for saftey reasons by the authorities many have ramp checks and pass or are required to take minor actions and fly without delay. The insurance company may actually be unsure of what to do and are hedging their bets hoping that you will accept thier descion and not appeal.

You could also try and claim off Phuket air in UK they caused the delay. Threaten then with small claims court - thai is iof they are operating any more.

Edited by alex100

• 4 weeks later...

Insurance has now paid up after legal action was mentioned.

They sent three letters detailing the reasons why they would not pay up before they actually settled.

Anyone who has had similar problems,please pm me and I will be pleased to offer advice.

Also check exactly what is says in your insurance policy - exclusions outwith the control of the airline ie being grounded by the Uk goverment are probably not covered.

I don't see how an airline can claim that safety is outside of its own control. If they don't control there own safety who does.

An airline doesn't do the necessary maintenance, gets shut down and says nothing to do with us Guv.

Kevin