East-west Economic Corridor Needs More Planning

george

DEVELOPMENTEAST-WEST ECONOMIC CORRIDOR

Connecting Burma, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam

Researchers: More planning needed

Full benefits of new link not being realised

MUKDAHAN: -- Much more needs be done if Thailand is to derive full benefits from development of the East-West Economic Corridor (Ewec), researchers say.

The multilateral project to develop infrastructure connecting Burma, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam is expected to be completed by 2007.

The corridor is part of a Greater Mekong Sub-region economic cooperation programme backed by the Asian Development Bank, the government of Japan and aid agencies. It is intended to strengthen trade between the four nations and improve movement of goods from these countries to China, the Philippines, Korea and Japan to the east, and Bangladesh and India to the west.

Infrastructure development includes building a bridge linking Mukdahan in Thailand and Savannakhet in Laos, improving Highway No. 9 in Laos, upgrading seaports and building the Haivan tunnel in Vietnam.

Construction of the 2,050-metre Thai-Lao bridge is due to be completed by 2006. When opened it will save time and money for travellers who now have to cross the Mekong river by ferry.

Savannakhet airport is to be upgraded so it can be shared by Laos and Thailand.

Today the fastest route to Mukdahan is to go by plane to Ubon Ratchathani, then continue to Mukdahan by road, which takes about another two hours.

The Savan-Seno special economic zone in Savannakhet will be developed to promote foreign investment. The zone will be at two sites, in Kantabuli near the Thai-Lao border and in Outhoomphone in the middle of Highway No. 9.

Cross-border transport is seen as one way to improve cooperation and cut transport costs. Thai vehicles with right-hand steering are allowed in Laos, where vehicles drive on the right, but not in Vietnam.

Sources said the Thai and Vietnamese governments had reached a preliminary agreement to allow the free flow of cross-border transport in certain provinces.

Easing immigration and customs clearance procedures at each country's border checkpoints is also necessary. To travel the length of Highway No. 9 means going through four immigration checkpoints _ Mukdahan of Thailand, Savannakhet and Ban Dansavan in Laos, and Laobao in Vietnam. The queuing and immigration process at each checkpoint can take hours.

Research by the Thailand Research Fund on the social, economic and environmental impact of Ewec suggests Thailand needs to do more to fully benefit from the scheme.

Suphang Chantavanich, of Chulalongkorn University's Institute of Asian Studies, urged authorities to release more information about the Mukdahan-Savannakhet bridge to prepare local people for the expected changes.

Man Purothakanont, of the Tungkula Ronghai Development Foundation, said unlike Laos' Luang Prabang or Vietnam's We and Danang, which attract long-stay tourists, Mukdahan has only short-stay tourist attractions.

Travellers usually stop at Mukdahan for no more than a day on their way to other provinces or to Laos and Vietnam.

``Many tourists come in big groups just to stop at some temples. Local vendors can't make a lot of money from these kinds of tourists because they come and go quickly,'' said Mr Man.

Economist Suthipan Chirathiwat, of Chulalongkorn University, said expansion of local transport networks was needed, and easing of customs regulations.

--Bangkok Post 2005-05-16

I am sorry - I didn't realise that the Vietnamese had changed to the American rules of the road. When I was there a few months ago they were still driving on the left.

What the Vietnamese government did not allow was large-capacity motor-bikes to be imported. But I know of no restrictions on vehicles trucking-in commercial goods.

Or have the Bangkok Post reporters made yet another mistake?

I am sorry - I didn't realise that the Vietnamese had changed to the American rules of the road. When I was there a few months ago they were still driving on the left.

What the Vietnamese government did not allow was large-capacity motor-bikes to be imported. But I know of no restrictions on vehicles trucking-in commercial goods.

Or have the Bangkok Post reporters made yet another mistake?

The last time I was in Vietnam was bout 10 years ago. They drive like maniacs over there and they drive on both sides of the road. After careful observation and analysing where traffic signs were placed it became obvious to me that the law suggests that you drive on the right side. So I believe that Vietnam has always used the Lao rules of the road....driving on the right.

Vietnamese and Laotians drive just like Americans, but a little faster. But, I was unaware of the need for a new road to assist the booming trade between Vietnam, Laos and Burma.

Is there really much going on between these countries? or is this one more fantastic idea to support the building of a new road?