Would You Take A Soi Dog As Pet?

I've got 2 dogs and both of them were taken from the "streets" when they were puppies.

The first one was about to be killed by children, they were throwing stones at them (more than one puppy was there) and the second one, I got it from Phuket, from Chalong Wat, I liked the long hairs.

And here he is, the second one, about 8 years later.

4394032679_c391e5e091.jpg

So where did you get your dog in Thailand, if you have one, that is :)

honestly i would never ever buy a dog/cat on a market ..

as there are plenty of them arround us.

they also have the benefits that they know, life is not like thais thinking :) (much harder to survive) :D

our last pet was a WAT-Cat too :D

LR_DSC05719.jpg

Edited by altf4

I had two. One that was found by the side of the road, so young it had to be fed by bottle. The other given to us as a very young puppy by neighbours who thought we had good hearts.

Both grew up to be very attractive, fun and friendly dogs. And both were stolen.

So they went from being abandoned and unwanted to worth stealing just with a bit of regular feeding and care

Posters seem to write as if soi dogs were a separate species. Don't forget all, or most, of them have a pet dog in their fairly close ancestry; he/she got out one night and the soi dogs were the result. That means that the ones which have survived on the streets have generally pretty tough characters, i.e. they or their parents were survivors of a pretty chancy past. So there are good, bad, or indifferent. Of course a soi dog can be a good pet; the only restriction is that you need to take them in at a very young age before they form bad habits (such as survival of the fittest).

Someone saved my runt of the litter from the construction site of the development and moved leaving her in a kennel where I bought her for 5 bht. Does anybody have a good kennel in Chang Mai? (no I not going to leave her there, just a 4 day visa run)

Posters seem to write as if soi dogs were a separate species. Don't forget all, or most, of them have a pet dog in their fairly close ancestry; he/she got out one night and the soi dogs were the result. That means that the ones which have survived on the streets have generally pretty tough characters, i.e. they or their parents were survivors of a pretty chancy past. So there are good, bad, or indifferent. Of course a soi dog can be a good pet; the only restriction is that you need to take them in at a very young age before they form bad habits (such as survival of the fittest).

I have one soi dog we took him in about 10 weeks ago. I happen to know a little bit about the dog because I had dealings with some Thai people who had fed the dog in the soi over a period of about 7 years. I saw him wondering the sois a considerable distance from their place, so i scooped him up and took him home to my place. I went to make equiries with the thai people that use to feed him only to find out that they had relocated.

Before you write off older dogs, I can tell you from this experience there has been only minimal disadvantage in taking such an old soi dog in. When he first arrived here, despite having a massive yard, he would wait patiently by the front gate to get out in the soi, eventually I allowed him into the street to see what would happen. Basically he roamed around the immediate neighbourhood and checked it all out and rushed back to check the gate was still open. That was 10 weeks ago, now hes just happy if he can get out for a walk when one of us is going to the shops, he trots behind the bicycle or motorcycle and then sits quitely alongside it when we are in the market. I can't fault this dog, hes got so much love to give & for the first time in his 7-8 year long life, he has a home, a patch of land he can call his own. He had his first bath in his life shortly after getting here & now its a weekly event with a game at the end of each bath. His greatful for every feed he gets. He love to play, yet isnt a bother & is normally located somewhere around the yard, asleep. He normally only barks at us when we arrive home after being gone for longer periods and doesnt chew stuff - Great companion.

My only concern for him is our future here & where I can keep him in the short term when we relocate. He's a great dog.

Someone saved my runt of the litter from the construction site of the development and moved leaving her in a kennel where I bought her for 5 bht. Does anybody have a good kennel in Chang Mai? (no I not going to leave her there, just a 4 day visa run)

Check out the member Nienke

I am now up to 4 dogs.

The oldest Sam Kaa has only 3 legs and a sort of a stump for the 4th is the grandson of one of the original 3 my wife got from the local wat back in 2003.

He spends most of his time lying around the house in the shade somewhere giving me sad looks because he has only 3 legs. However when he chases something he is almost as fast as a 4 legged dog.

He spends some time snarling at the 3 puppies we got from a friend as if he is a grumpy old man and can't be bothered with young kids.

Those 3 have temporary names at the moment such as 1, 2, 3 or brown, black and black again and one of the black ones is bossy, greedy and a bully thinking he is the boss dog and when Sam Kaa snarls he rolls over and fawns.

Slowly they are realising that the real boss dog is me.

None of the dogs are allowed in the house or kitchen and with the puppies around you have to take your shoes indoors as well even though they have raided the old shoe box for toys to chew on.

Should I let the bossy dog run over the other two as I know one dog is going to go up to my wifes shop in a while as the shop dog.

The last one we had up there had 6 puppies and we went off to BKK for a few days and came back to find the dog and pups had been stolen and the lady who was supposed to keep an eye on them just shrugged and said mai roo when we asked where the dogs were.

A adolescent soi dog adopted me.

Come to me and have refused to leave.

Great guard dog.

Only bark at men he don't know.

The other one, a Shitzu adopted my wife.

She went out one morning and he was sitting in the basket of her motorbike.

I got mine from a vet, who couldn't keep all of them he had. The vet actually crossed Poodle with Yorkshire-terrier and cut their tails. I got a male and female and had altogether over one hundred puppies rooting from those two. I always give them away for free. I'm always glad when I take a walk in the downtown area to see some of them in the shops and how good they are taken care off.

Very lively and intelligent doggies. The cleverness of a poodle and the fierceness of a terrier makes them unique. Very children friendly and good in reporting strangers.

At the moment I have a litter of eight to give away. 7 weeks old.

If someone interested let me know.

Below: That's how they look like when grown up. I had different colors and shades before. The litter I have are in the colors as you can see. No tails cut.

7c261b67639c84d34d6d_2.jpg7c261b67639c84d34d6d_1.jpg

Before you write off older dogs, I can tell you from this experience there has been only minimal disadvantage in taking such an old soi dog in. When he first arrived here, despite having a massive yard, he would wait patiently by the front gate to get out in the soi, eventually I allowed him into the street to see what would happen. Basically he roamed around the immediate neighbourhood and checked it all out and rushed back to check the gate was still open. That was 10 weeks ago, now hes just happy if he can get out for a walk when one of us is going to the shops, he trots behind the bicycle or motorcycle and then sits quitely alongside it when we are in the market. I can't fault this dog, hes got so much love to give & for the first time in his 7-8 year long life, he has a home, a patch of land he can call his own. He had his first bath in his life shortly after getting here & now its a weekly event with a game at the end of each bath. His greatful for every feed he gets. He love to play, yet isnt a bother & is normally located somewhere around the yard, asleep. He normally only barks at us when we arrive home after being gone for longer periods and doesnt chew stuff - Great companion.

My only concern for him is our future here & where I can keep him in the short term when we relocate. He's a great dog.

No, neverdie, I would never write off the older dogs... I just wouldn't recommend one as a choice. When I wrote this post, I was thinking of a dog as house pet... as they always have been for me. But your post is very heartening, and I wish you great joy of this dog.

Our first rotti puppy has been stolen from a BIB in front of a 7/11 when my wife was shopping(later I was forced to hand him over the dog's papers as well).

Next rotti puppy was imported, than a lovely Boxer(female) from a Bangkok breeder. The 3rd and last one(for now..) another rotti lady from a good breeder from Bangkok.

Gerd

Talking about stolen, the dog you see on my first posting was stolen once during the night, about 2 a.m., when the people collecting the garbage were going to the soi I was living in at that time.

We heard him barking but well, was not the first time, so we did not get up.

The next day, we realized we forgot to lock the gate, somebody opened it, and one of the dogs was gone.

My wife made quite a lot of noise with the company in charge of collecting the garbage, threatening to go to the police and sue them (is it possible in Thailand, for a dog? :) ).

Anyway, to make a long story short, the next morning, the dog was waiting in front of the gate for us to open it...

I know soi dogs are not a special race of dogs but surviving in the streets sure make them genetically stronger and generally non aggressive (or they would have been killed).

So this is probably a better idea to take a puppy from a soi dog than buying it on Chatuchak market... :)

my soi dog also decided to adopt us she jumped the gate and refused to leave after that she is brilliant will not come into the house even if you try to get her in but waht a gaurd dog sleeps in the shade most of the day but at night does a constant patrol round the garden slightest thing is out of place she lets you know ,frogs ,rats ,snakes etc dont last long either she eats anything is one of the cleanest dogs i have ever seen loves a bath .

• 2 weeks later...

pls be patient to read and i need suggestion..thank you

i've read the posts and love this topic...strey dogs are smarter, cuter and can read you mind :) ..

I try to feed more than 10 dogs every day at my factory. they were soi dogs when they came no one take them for neuter. if they have puppies worker usually prefer male dogs than female. so we have so many female dogs in my factory.

the point is one of a puppy (will be 1 year old in May), he has walking problem. his front legs look normal, but the vet diagnosed nerve disfunction. He cannot balance himself so he keeps falling down every single day and hit his head on the ground (he needs wheelchair). also he has neck problem (when he was little his head was like bubble head). When i feed him i need to hold the food/water in certain hight otherwise he cannot hold his neck still to eat and he would eating like a chicken.

I am planning to go back my home town, i need to find a new home for him, my place in my home town is apartment and it's too small for me with wheelchair.

I do not think I can find a new owner with full of patience to take care of him. He cannot stay outside all day, he need someone to move him inside when it rains.

If you cannot find a new owner for him, I would rather put him down. but when i asked a vet, she asked me the reason and she refused me to do so. She gave me some dog shelter info and want me to put him at the shelter. I do not thinkthe shelter is a good choice for him.

I need suggestion...please..

post-99171-1269016939_thumb.jpg