Affirmation To Marry

louialive

Am coming to Thailand this weekend and while there for two weeks am marrying my wonderful GF. I need to ge affirmation to marry from Embassy. Apart from my Decree Absolute and passport do I need to take anything else with me. Do they accept visa card for the payment or cash only.

We are arranging spouse visa for my gf soon wife but she has to wait two months for results of culture of sputum test, 5 weeks so far and not heard anyithng so hope all will be ok.

Thanks in advance for any replies and appologies if this is already somewhere on this site

You need to visit one of the translation shops near the embassy, where they will fill your details onto a ready typed form. You then have to take this to the Embassy to get signed and then return it to the shop and they will take to the ministry of whatever to be officially stamped and when done they will courier to whichever hotel you are staying at.

Of course you can attempt to do it all yourself but for a couple of thousand baht it is so well worth letting them do it.

When you have the finished product it will be accepted in any amphur.

I think thats how I remember it anyway, hope this helps. Good luck.

HL :)

can always download form from internet, fill it in your self dead easy. take it to embassey collect next day, as you come out there will be guys coming over to you asking if you want translate. about 180 baht then off to laxi i think its called couple of hours for official stamp. as always you are better going to embassy web site where all your questions will be answered accuratly rather than asking on here as things change embasey web site has all up to date info. google british embassey bangkok.

as for has this question been asked before always best to do search on thai visa, in this case you will see its probably in the hundreds. up there with dentist and driving licience. good luck its dead easy, the hard bit is after you marry the wonderful GFs.

dont understand the post above why would you take a British document to a translator before you go to the embassey. they need to know name and address of two people who know you mum and dads name simple stuff like that, that is unless things have changed.

Edited by NALAK

Firstly you download the form from the Embassy website.

Fill it out (no need for any translations).

Take to the Embassy, pay by Credit card, take decree absolute, and passport.

Return next day to collect.

Go to a translation service, get the document translated.

Get a taxi, go to the MFA (Chaeng Wattana)

Go to the 3rd floor, take a number and wait.

Give to the Officer.

Now you can go the Amphur and be married.

Costs - Embassy 2915baht

Translation - 400baht (maybe more)

Taxi to MFA (300baht)

MFA Costs (not more than 1000baht)

Congratulations

Edited by beano2274

Taxi to MFA (300baht)

That adds up to 1700 baht without all your time as well.

Well for 2000 baht I had it all done for me and delivered to hotel with no worries....so where's the benefit in doing it yourself then????

The doing it yourself is a good idea, so that you can see how Thai bureaucracy works, for the future, when you might need a Visa or a Driving License.

Also remember my costs are a guideline, I cannot remember the exact costs, but take into consideration using BTS from Chidlom and then an 8baht bus to MFA, and doing the same by return = Transport costs now 96 baht per person, and only one needs to go.

The MFA certificate is not that much, but I gave a guideline, if I remember rightly it is only around 400baht.

So in reality the costs are now under 1000baht.

Taxi to MFA (300baht)

That adds up to 1700 baht without all your time as well.

Well for 2000 baht I had it all done for me and delivered to hotel with no worries....so where's the benefit in doing it yourself then????

if you had it all done from your hotel room how would you know what the procedure is. its so simple to do it yourself. i really find it hard to beleive the British Goverment would accept it done by a third party as in a thai, how would a Thai doing this get passed security at the consulate.. also again why would he need to take the document to a translator to fill out when it has to be in English before he goes to the Embassey. i really think you do not know and have given false info to the op. everybody else has it spot on. really should do things your self so as to understand the way things work. How would a third party know the names of your parents or name and address of two people in your home country who know you.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ister-marriage/

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/resources/e...reedom-to-marry this is the form you need to fill out nice and easy, take this to embassey yourself

as you will see application has to signed in person at embassey.

op this website answers all your questions

Edited by NALAK

Firstly you download the form from the Embassy website.

Fill it out (no need for any translations).

Take to the Embassy, pay by Credit card, take decree absolute, and passport.

Give to the Officer.

Now you can go the Amphur and be married.

Costs - Embassy 2915baht

Taxi to MFA (300baht)

Congratulations

i got my document same day at MFA, but i think there was a premium charge for this and we had to wait 2 hours. we only had to stay BKK

1 night straight from MFA to airport.

Nalak....if you had bothered to read my original post you would see that I said you have to take the form to the Embassy yourself to have signed.

Also why do you think the translater fills the form out in Thai???? Obviously it is in English for the Embassy. IT IS afterwards that the translation is done.

Jeez whats the matter with you guys.

Of course the op can find out and do it all themselves if they want to travel across Bangkok and queue up here there and everywhere.

All I am saying is that the shops offer a service, where once the form has been signed by the consulate then they will complete the whole process and deliver to the hotel for a nominal fee, which personally I think is well worth it. If you dont, then fine...you deal with it but dont shoot me down in flames.

i got my document same day at MFA, but i think there was a premium charge for this and we had to wait 2 hours. we only had to stay BKK

Currently there is no more same day service, you have to return another day to pick up the papers. They also might send it by mail, but I'm not sure about that.

Nalak....if you had bothered to read my original post you would see that I said you have to take the form to the Embassy yourself to have signed.

Also why do you think the translater fills the form out in Thai???? Obviously it is in English for the Embassy. IT IS afterwards that the translation is done.

Jeez whats the matter with you guys.

Of course the op can find out and do it all themselves if they want to travel across Bangkok and queue up here there and everywhere.

All I am saying is that the shops offer a service, where once the form has been signed by the consulate then they will complete the whole process and deliver to the hotel for a nominal fee, which personally I think is well worth it. If you dont, then fine...you deal with it but dont shoot me down in flames.

HL :D

apologies, you did state that, it was this bit below i misunderstood i thought you meant you did it all by paying somebody. anyway way now he should have all the info he needs. :)

HL :D

Don't get married in Thailand if you plan to bring your girl friend to your home country. faster to do a fiance visa and get married in your home country. It sounds like you have already applied for a fiance visa, and if you get married in Thailand that will void that process.

Barry

The above may be true for your home country, which from your avatar is presumably the USA.

But for the UK, the processing time is the same for a fiance and a spouse visa; but the fiance visa route is the expensive way of doing it! Far cheaper to marry in Thailand and obtain a spouse visa.

But it's the individual couples choice.

Currently there is no more same day service, you have to return another day to pick up the papers. They also might send it by mail, but I'm not sure about that.

sorry, must have changed recently as in the last month, as my friend did it 26th of January, paid 800 baht for same day service.

Give to the Officer.

I will say, I got the people at the translation agency to go to Chaeng Wattana for me - so glad I did, they charged 500 baht if I remember correctly and were there for hours , probably would have cost 250 baht in the taxi!

Cheers to those that do things for themselves and hooray for the rest that use a service to do the work for them. What difference it makes in the end? None! The process which ever way you do it got the same end result. Some of us need to do it ourselves and feel complete and some of us prefer to use others to do our bidding for their own reasons. The sun will come up tomorrow and both parties will have their documents.

The process has been outlined now so make you're choice on which way "you" will follow.

In a few months I will follow the course of doing it all myself( future wife and me). I always want to know what the process is and what, if any, hurdles need to be jumped. It also gives me a couple of days in BKK. I really hate how busy BKK is but a once or twice a year visit is good.

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions.

We will be doing it ourselves as it is all part of us working together to achieve what we set out for and that is to be married and be together. Just doesn't seem right someone else doing this sort of thing for me.

Though I understand the sentiments from others in getting agency to do it.