Thailand's 'Jack The Ripper' Sentenced To Death

webfact

CRIMINAL

Death for 'Jack the ripper'

By Kesinee Taengkhieo

The Nation

gallery_327_1086_25903.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Somkid Pumpoung, called by the media as "Thailand's Jack the Ripper" after he allegedly robbed and killed five sex workers, yesterday was sentenced to death for the 2005 murder of a two-month-pregnant traditional Thai massage therapist.

Somkid Phumphuang, called "Jack the Ripper" by the media after he allegedly robbed and killed five sex workers, yesterday was sentenced to death for the 2005 murder of a two-month-pregnant traditional Thai massage therapist.

The Ratchadaphisek Criminal Court said Somkid strangled Pongpan Sapchai in a Lampang hotel room and made off with her valuables worth Bt5,000.

He reportedly confessed but during the trial denied the homicide charge, claiming that police had bullied him.

Somkid, 41, already faces capital punishment for the murder of a Mukdahan cafe singer and life imprisonment for the murder of a traditional masseuse in Buri Ram. This was the third murder case against him.

After the verdict, Somkid criticised the judges, to which the court replied he could appeal. Turning to his attorney to berate him for doing a bad job, Somkid was told by a prosecutor to lower his voice. Somkid told the lawyer rudely to leave him alone and had to dragged away

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I take it that the two other murders he is accused of are yet to be heard by the court? Only three offences are listed here, yet the article states he is accused of five murders.

Or does Thailand have some kind of "other offences taken into consideration policy"?

I take it that the two other murders he is accused of are yet to be heard by the court? Only three offences are listed here, yet the article states he is accused of five murders.

Or does Thailand have some kind of "other offences taken into consideration policy"?

I read an article yesterday saying that as he had confessed to the first 2 murders he was given life sentences.

The opening sentence states that he killed 5 sex workers, one victim was a cafe singer and the other two were traditional Thai masseuses.....

You are too long in Thailand, you should not add numbers without help of a calculator....

He should have used the "TV Thaksin defense": "Your honour, the original Ripper was never caught, therefore it is impossible for you to convict me".

Or the Thai defense used by some former gov't officials: "I no longer live at that address (...am no longer the Minister of such 'n such) therefore I cannot be held accountable for the alleged actions.

Or he could have done what some bus drivers do after a crash - run off in the rice paddy.

They can only kill him once... I think... Good riddance...

One murder in Lumpang another in Buri Rum? Confesses in custody and pleads not guilty in court. Tells his own lawyer he has done a bad job. Im not convinced he did it. :)

I think he signed his own death certificate. :D

.........or was forced to, you have to wonder. What about the "other" two????

Hey son. Why are you hitting your sister? Whack, whack, whack, whack. Now that will teach you not to hit people....

The death penalty. State sponsored murder. The ultimate penalty steeped in the ultimate hypocrisy.

Ohh dear, theres one in every crowd :)

One murder in Lumpang another in Buri Rum? Confesses in custody and pleads not guilty in court. Tells his own lawyer he has done a bad job. Im not convinced he did it. :)

Well there you go - pretty solid grounds for an appeal I would suggest. :D

One murder in Lumpang another in Buri Rum? Confesses in custody and pleads not guilty in court. Tells his own lawyer he has done a bad job. Im not convinced he did it. :D

Well there you go - pretty solid grounds for an appeal I would suggest. :D

Sorry, make that two in every crowd. :):D

It is pretty clear this guy has a temper he can not control even in a court room.

Certainly there is more to this story, there always is,

but he seems well short of a full load...

There are comments about 5 murders and Other Two.

He has been convicted of 3 so far,

the other TWO are still pending court disposition,

and the other, Other Two he was convicted for...

I think the pregnancy was a factor in the death sentence also.

Weld him in a too small box and underfeed him slop till he's old.

I'd have to say 3 convictions is pretty damning,

compared to his being set up by polis for one biggy to find a scape goat etc.

The question is did he do it?

do rapists and murderers usually sign conventions? only in LOS

I have never heard of a rapist or murderer signing a convention, but plenty of them have signed confessions over the years, is that what you mean? :)

Usual total lack of details on how he was caught, what was their evidence that lead them to this guy, whether he could not account for his whereabouts at times of murder etc... you know usual stuff to reassure the public that this is definitely the guy and a serial killer is not still out there.

As usual you are left wondering is he truly innocent or guilty ?

Meanwhile in the UK our version of "Jack the Ripper" Ian Sutcliffe who murdered 13 prostitutes has had the audacity to

appeal for a release date,after serving around 30 years in prison.

Think I prefer Thai Justice in this instance. when their gone their gone for good!

Even the bleeding heart Liberals on this Post would find it hard to defend this lunatic.

Edited by MAJIC

Meanwhile in the UK our version of "Jack the Ripper" Ian Sutcliffe who murdered 13 prostitutes has had the audacity to

appeal for a release date,after serving around 30 years in prison.

Think I prefer Thai Justice in this instance. when their gone their gone for good!

Even the bleeding heart Liberals on this Post would find it hard to defend this lunatic.

I just love the 'bleeding hearts', the civil libiterians and doo gooders that race onto the threads when this sort of thing happens. Comeon jack get real, people like this don't actually get roped into half a dozen or so murders by mistake, this guy was up to no good, you can seriously support guys like this getting off on legal technicalities?

Its all fun and games until a sicko like this kills someone one of these people love, then their 'story' changes. :)

I just love the 'bleeding hearts', the civil libiterians and doo gooders that race onto the threads when this sort of thing happens. Comeon jack get real, people like this don't actually get roped into half a dozen or so murders by mistake, this guy was up to no good, you can seriously support guys like this getting off on legal technicalities?

Its all fun and games until a sicko like this kills someone one of these people love, then their 'story' changes. :)

Not surprisingly, the irony in my post went straight over your head.

If I had known you were going to read it, I would have included some drawings to make it easier for you. It seems smileys are not enough. :D

Hey son. Why are you hitting your sister? Whack, whack, whack, whack. Now that will teach you not to hit people....

The death penalty. State sponsored murder. The ultimate penalty steeped in the ultimate hypocrisy.

Don't you just love these bleeding heart liberals that live in their own little utopia? As soon as any news report pertaining to the death penalty comes up I always think 'here we go again - just watch them come out of the woodwork'. Maybe you should change your user name from way2muchcoffee to

way2muchcrap because that's what it is. Wake up and welcome to the real world.

Don't you just love these bleeding heart liberals that live in their own little utopia? As soon as any news report pertaining to the death penalty comes up I always think 'here we go again - just watch them come out of the woodwork'. Maybe you should change your user name from way2muchcoffee to

way2muchcrap because that's what it is. Wake up and welcome to the real world.

Actually thought I was in the real world of civilized people who have developed emotionally and have moved past being motivated by base and petty revenge. I believed I was amongst people who actually use their brains to analyze the world, and use compassion as a moral compass to keep their atavistic animal natures in check. I guess I was mistaken.

Edited by way2muchcoffee