Thai Cabinet Swap To Bullet-Proof Cars Ahead Of Violence Fears

webfact

Thai cabinet swap to bullet-proof cars ahead of violence fears

BANGKOK: -- Members of the 35-strong Thailand Council of Ministers have begun swapping their official sedans for bullet-proof vehicles following a warning delivered by deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The concerns of continued or escalating violence by the anti-government “red-shirt” movement following the Thailand Supreme Court Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions ruling to seize more than Bt46 billion (about $US1.4 billion) of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s assets comes in the wake of a series of bomb attacks in the capital over the weekend.

At a meeting to discuss ongoing security issues in the lead up to the million person rally planed by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) on March 14, Mr. Abhisit urged ministers to increase their personal security, warning that there is not enough security officials to offer extensive surveillance.

The PMs words were echoed by deputy PM Suthep, who extended the warning to cover senior military officers, claiming there were rumours of anti-government protesters wanting to take them hostage.

Though Thailand only has 20 bullet-proof vehicles, Mr. Suthep said any minister can request a bullet-proof car if needed, while adding that additional riot security forces and military personnel have been stationed to protect Government House.

One of the first ministers to take advantage of the bullet-proof vehicles is Minister to the PM's Office, Satit Wongnontaey, who today swapped his personal BMW vehicle for a bullet-proof Land Rover that was previously used by attendees at the last ASEAN meeting.

Following the attack on his BMW as he left a cabinet meeting at the Royal Cliff Beach Resort in Pattaya last April, PM Abhisit also switched to one of three bulletproof Mercedes Benz S600 Guard’s purchased by former pm Thaksin Shinawatra.

In the lead up to the Supreme Court judgment last Friday it was revealed Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva had again changed vehicles, this time to a bullet-proof Land Rover.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2010-03-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

This is a serious matter for anyone in politics around the world. My personal observation is that security for officials , especially, high profile like the PM. Is completely inadequate as they allow the news media people to get way too close with all those microphones shoved into their faces. They get way to close to the public as well. The cars would be a minor selection for assassination because of a lack of prudent measures with too close contact. My Sutep should look to the West and the Middle East for protocols in security.

My presidents have changed security procedures dramatically since the loss of Kennedy, and the shooting of Reagan at close range. Bullet proof is a good start but just a start.

if Thaksin was so loved by all when he was PM, why did he feel the need to spend millions of tax payers baht on bullet proof s600's?

Because people in the south hate him more than G.W. Bush.

And that takes work.

wow!! thats a whole lotta hate

i doubt the S600 would be up to the job.........

A single bullet proof bus would be more eco-friendly. It could do the rounds in the morning picking each minister up from their home and taking them to work, then dropping them off again in the evening.

Not to mention allowing a single RPG to take out the entire government.

Don't give up your day job quite yet for a position at a security firm. Even major companies don't let all of their critical employees go together on the same flight. For a government to do that would simply be irrational.

Is now some month i read about violence, fear ecc ecc...but nothing happen.

I read about Thaksin stolen money from the tax of the people, has explained in 6 hours court speach him dont stolen 1 bath from the people.

All important person use bullet proof car every day for theyr fun trip...i see one last week in soi 6 in pattaya....very dangerous place all that lady want men...a 300 mercedes light grey, same way of the american president, i dont know how to explain in English but was like my shelter when i was soldier, whit also anti letal gas system, ridicolus for thailand expecially in that area.

At the end all news about this are only for write newspaper, how many they write till now but in the reality...nothings happen??

PS: why use a "granate" and broken some glass? if i want give a message i put somethings more " explosive" all this bomb in bangkok are only for baby, small fireworks, not real bomb for real terrorist message.

Edited by oceano

All important person use bullet proof car every day for theyr fun trip...i see one last week in soi 6 in pattaya....very dangerous place all that lady want men...a 300 mercedes light grey, same way of the american president, i dont know how to explain in English but was like my shelter when i was soldier, whit also anti letal gas system, ridicolus for thailand expecially in that area.

An Armoured 300 merc in soi 6 you say, with anti lethal gas, same as the American presidents .......... lol.

Webfact, your blurb is incorrect, the vehicles are Range Rovers not Land Rovers, nice cars they are, I drove one yesterday.

Wonder why the Thai gumbyment didnt seize Thaksin's 5 Armoured Holden Caprices he purchased from Australia ???

if Thaksin was so loved by all when he was PM, why did he feel the need to spend millions of tax payers baht on bullet proof s600's?

Wow 46b bth can buy a lot of bullet proof cars. But what a waste.

I think is time to buy MB stocks :)

It's a dangerous world we live in with hot heads and worse prowling the streets tooled up. I was talking with a guy the other night who said that his last job was that of the rear gunner on a Heineken delivery truck.

Why the Range Rovers? There is a perfectly good bright yellow Humvee not doing a lot at the moment in Pattaya.

Why the Range Rovers? There is a perfectly good bright yellow Humvee not doing a lot at the moment in Pattaya.

All the time, I see him in Sukumvit,one night, some km in wrong way and him stop to buy padthai, was very funny se that car, same Texax Ranger but, belivme, nobody can think him a dengerous man.

Swat in Pattaya? in 9 yrs i never see or listen they do somethings...but.....him put him live every night on the line...what a eroe!!!!!!!

Were him find the money for dont do nothings all days?

It's a dangerous world we live in with hot heads and worse prowling the streets tooled up. I was talking with a guy the other night who said that his last job was that of the rear gunner on a Heineken delivery truck.

Owned by the same prick with the 2 lamborghinis, maybe. Faster than a speeding bullet.

Perfect cars for Pattaya and Thailand; sure.

Update:

Bullet-proof cars for Cabinet members

BANGKOK: -- PM's Office Minister Satit Wongnongtaey yesterday decided to start using a bulletproof Land Rover as his official vehicle after he was told of possible security threats against Cabinet members and their families.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who told the Cabinet about the threats on Tuesday, said yesterday that any Cabinet members wishing to use bulletproof cars should file a request. However, he said, there were only 20 vehicles available, which would not be enough to cover all 36 Cabinet members.

Satit, who is in charge of the state media, earlier used a BMW sedan as his official vehicle.

So far, only four Cabinet members have used bulletproof Land Rovers - Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, Suthep, Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya and Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij. Suthep now uses his personal bulletproof Ford, which he says was previously under repair.

The bulletproof Land Rovers were also used to transport state leaders during the Asean summit in Hua Hin and Cha-am last year.

Suthep reportedly told Cabinet members on Tuesday to be more careful about their own safety as well as that of their spouses and children now that the red-shirt leaders were issuing threats more frequently. The deputy premier, who is in charge of security affairs, yesterday also rebuked the mass media for reporting about his warning, which, he said, was meant to be off the record.

A source said that a troop of 150 crowd-control police officers have been sent to Government House to add to the 160 Special Branch police officers already stationed inside the compound. In addition, each gate of the compound will be guarded round the clock.

Next week, when the red shirts plan to start rallying to bring down the government and force House dissolution, more security forces will be sent to guard Government House. Soldiers will take over the job of providing security within the premises, while police will play a supporting role, the source said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-04

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Because people in the south hate him more than G.W. Bush.

And that takes work.

Dead on point. The two collage buddies some of the worst leaders the world has ever seen. Stupid and egotistic.

Perhaps because of the number of red roses, being handed or thrown to DL, when he was still in-power ? Dangerous things those exploding red roses ! :)

Edited by Ricardo