Tiling On Tile

Ghastly! Just ghastly!

The floor tiles in the main living area look like the reception to a NATO cafeteria.

Thus, I need to tile upon tile. Breaking the floor out simply isn't an option (house probably fall down).

Has anyone stuck tile over tile here before? Which sticky sticky product is required?

Thanks

MJP,

I vaguely recall reading a thread here at thai visa some time back, someone was asking the exact question and there was some really good advice given in it. It actually nearly turned out to be an all in brawl as two ' experts' didnt agree on something and had a tat for tat over it.....other than that it was a good thread.

Some of the issues raised related to things like doors needing to be cut etc and adhesives, I will try and find it for you, you might want to try a tv search urself, ie: dont rely on me :)

For the sakes of a 200 baht a day man for a day or two and a bit of mess, I personally would go the other way mike, it seems to me when you look at adjusting doors and gaps between rooms, ahhh i dunno, up to you.

So many kind replies . . . so quickly . . . me with such a slow internet connection.

I do remember a tile adhesive called USA Crocodile Gold which purported to stick tile upon tile, wonder if anyone has used this.

Raising the floor level is no issue, trim one door only.

Seriously, these green tiles here make me want to do a wee.

MJP,

I vaguely recall reading a thread here at thai visa some time back, someone was asking the exact question and there was some really good advice given in it. It actually nearly turned out to be an all in brawl as two ' experts' didnt agree on something and had a tat for tat over it.....other than that it was a good thread.

Some of the issues raised related to things like doors needing to be cut etc and adhesives, I will try and find it for you, you might want to try a tv search urself, ie: dont rely on me :)

Best is to use 3 mm thick ceramic tile,this way you do not need to cut doors.You can find this material imported from Italy at G.L.& R. TAPS AND TILES in EKKAMAI 5

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware there are different qualities of tiles.

High glaze tiles are surfaced like glass and do not take so kindly to being stuck to.

Low glaze tiles.....probably what you have in your NATO cafeteria.....are glazed in a rolling machine, are not so slippery, which is why the scale starts to build up on them in a bathroom over time. These you could glaze over.....you can even paint them.

John

I'm getting prices of between 95 and 300 Baht a bag for the tile glue and coverage of between 1 and 3 sq m a bag.

Is there a big difference between the bottom and top priced tile glues? Previously used a glue at 160 (now 180) Baht a bag but as I want to tile 80sq m the saving of 5,000 Baht is encouraging!

And how much glue should the workmen use?

PS to keep on topic I've tiled on tiles and provided you do not mind the increase in floor height it works very well. Removing existing tiles is noisy, expensive and a pain. In addition you might find that they are laid on cement so either you remove 2" of cement, again very noisy and more expense, and then you have to build up the floor or put the tile glue on top of the cement and you still get an increase in floor height. Maybe only 3mm but enough for every door to jam.

Edited by briley