Marriage Requirements...

Hi there.

In the information pack i have seen about getting married at an Amphur office in Bangkok it says i must bring a "full original birth certificate" i lost mine many years ago and have applied to a company called UK Official Services for a replacement. What they have sent is a "certified copy of an entry" of my birth certificate,which has come from the General Register Office. Is this going to be sufficient as it does state "an original"?

And secondly a 30day tourist visa? Isnt that the stamp they put in your passport when you arrive at Suvarnabhumi?

Thanks for any replies?

A certified copy will do , i never took mine when i got married in Bangkok, also yes you get a 30 day visa , if you want more just get a multi Entry or a six month visa from the Thai consulate in hull,It can be done by post.

Normally for a foreigner to marry in Thailand you need to go to your embassy and apply for a letter that you are eligible to marry in Thailand. This letter is then translated by a certified translator and is put on fill with the MFA. You also take this letter, your passport and if you have been divorce a certified copy of your divorce and your to be to the Amphur office. Your other will need their ID card, house book and if they have been divorced their divorce papers. And also you do not receive a 30 day visa on arrival it is a visa exempt. Visa can only be issued in another country by a Thai Embassy or Consulate. The charge for translation and filling of letter with the MFA about 3000 baht. The siging of names at the Amphur about 100 baht.

To clarify.

In the UK the actual birth certificate is the entry made by the registrar in the registry. The piece of paper one is given is a copy of this entry; hence it is called a certified copy.

The same is true for marriage and death certificates.

By 'original' the embassy mean the original certified copy, not a photocopy of it.

Not sure where you got the 'information pack' you refer to from; but here is the information from the British embassy in Bangkok.

The stamp British citizens, and other nationalities who qualify for the 30 day tourist exemption, have placed in heir passport is not really a 30 day tourist visa; it is an entry stamp. Not every nationality is eligible for this exemption and they would need a visa to enter the Kingdom. Other nationalities don't need a visa at all to enter Thailand as a tourist; ASEAN nationals for example.

To clarify.

In the UK the actual birth certificate is the entry made by the registrar in the registry. The piece of paper one is given is a copy of this entry; hence it is called a certified copy.

The same is true for marriage and death certificates.

By 'original' the embassy mean the original certified copy, not a photocopy of it.

Not sure where you got the 'information pack' you refer to from; but here is the information from the British embassy in Bangkok.

The stamp British citizens, and other nationalities who qualify for the 30 day tourist exemption, have placed in heir passport is not really a 30 day tourist visa; it is an entry stamp. Not every nationality is eligible for this exemption and they would need a visa to enter the Kingdom. Other nationalities don't need a visa at all to enter Thailand as a tourist; ASEAN nationals for example.

So should i apply for a 30day visa from the thai embassy in Hull? Or can i just continue without it and the entry stamp will be enough?

You do not need a visa in order to marry in Thailand; you just need to be in the Kingdom legally (and I'm not 100% sure that is correct!). So the normal 30 day entry stamp as a tourist is enough. It's all I had when I married.

As well as the link to the information from the British embassy I gave earlier, see also this from the Thai embassy in London.

May I ask where you got this information pack from?

You do not need a visa in order to marry in Thailand; you just need to be in the Kingdom legally (and I'm not 100% sure that is correct!). So the normal 30 day entry stamp as a tourist is enough. It's all I had when I married.

As well as the link to the information from the British embassy I gave earlier, see also this from the Thai embassy in London.

May I ask where you got this information pack from?

Thats good news...the info pack i downloaded somewhere on here i believe 7by7 i will post it for you now.

Thanks for replying

Sorry i cant seem to add sometnig from my document files....p/m me your email i i will send it via there if you wish.

cheers

That's ok. I just wondered where you got it from.

It seems to be something designed for all, rather than UK specific; hence the talk of 30 day visas.

No probs,just another quick question please?

On the visa application it says i must submit a certified copy of my passport pages,how do you go about certifying your passport photocopies?

Sorry for all the daft questions,its just we want to get it right first time and save paying another 600quid to reapply.Probably nearer 700quid ny the time we apply what with the pound sinking like a stone :)

I am Aussie but I assume the process would be the same,

1. go to your embassy in Bangkok and get an affirmation of freedom to marry stat dec,

2. take it and have it translated into Thai,

3. go to Thai foreign affairs department at Don Mueng they need to certify the documents 3 hours service 800bht 2 day service 400baht,

4. take these copies along with your passport and partners relevant docs to the local Amphur of your choice,

5. hang around for two hours, bribe local officials as needed and you are married.

Did this a few weeks back, I think the bribery is an optional extra lol..

Forgot to mention at no time did I show my Aussie birth certificate, which is a good thing as I did'nt have it in Thailand.

Edited by rick75

On the visa application it says i must submit a certified copy of my passport pages,how do you go about certifying your passport photocopies?

Simply photocopy each page and then write "I certify that this is a true copy of page number ... of passport number.......... in the name of.........." and sign and date it.

its just we want to get it right first time and save paying another 600quid to reapply.Probably nearer 700quid ny the time we apply what with the pound sinking like a stone

The fee in baht is regularly(ish!) adjusted to reflect exchange rate fluctuations. Check the visa fees page before submitting your application.

Rick75,

making an AFM and having it notarised by your embassy is a requirement of the Thai authorities; what extra documents, fee etc. each individual embassy requires to carry out this service is up to them.