Direct Link To Vietnam With Bridge In Mukdahan

The Phoenix

One of the frustrating thing in this part of the world is the lack of an easy way to travel from one country to another by other means than a plane.

Especially in Indochina, the distances are very short, Mukdahan to Vietnam is only 200-300 kms I think but no way you can do it by car.

Vietnam just relaxed its policy on travel by car from Vietnam but they still do not allow private vehicles to go there, only a caravan of cars.

Makes me wonder why they build another bridge over the Mekong river.

What's the use if you can not go with your car to Laos and Vietnam?

Hopefully, things will improve and soon it will be as easy to travel in the region as it is in Europe or the US... :o

One of the frustrating thing in this part of the world is the lack of an easy way to travel from one country to another by other means than a plane.

Especially in Indochina, the distances are very short, Mukdahan to Vietnam is only 200-300 kms I think but no way you can do it by car.

Vietnam just relaxed its policy on travel by car from Vietnam but they still do not allow private vehicles to go there, only a caravan of cars.

Makes me wonder why they build another bridge over the Mekong river.

What's the use if you can not go with your car to Laos and Vietnam?

Hopefully, things will improve and soon it will be as easy to travel in the region as it is in Europe or the US... :o

Accommodating private cars is low priority in Laos and Vietnam. They would rather promote mass transit...in this case buses. It may surprise you to know that many people hope that western civilization will stop promoting the private car and start promoting mass transit too. Hopefully , things will improve and soon it will be as easy to travel in Europe or the US by mass transit as it is in the region.

Hopefully , things will improve and soon it will be as easy to travel in Europe or the US by mass transit as it is in the region.

I partly agree on this one. It is indeed quite easy to travel by bus in Thailand as it already is in Europe and the US but not so easy to go from one country to another, especially in Indochina.

And in Europe, at least, the mass transit is mainly done by train, not subject to traffic jams, few accidents, mostly on time and convenient.

So, I think as far as mass transit is concerned, a big improvement will come when the railways system will be ugraded and it will be easy to go from one country to another by train.

But anyway, I would still love to be able to use my own car... :o

Edited by The Phoenix

I was working in Laos in March. You CAN take your car there - it is in fact quite easy. You can cross the bridge to Vientiane, or put your vehicle on a car ferry at Mukdahan and cross to Savanakhet in about 20 minutes. You must either have the car papers showing that you own it, or if it is a Thai's they must certify that you are allowed to use it. I think you also have to buy Laos insurance at the border crossing. You can drive right to the Vietnamese border. Laos is a great place to drive in, except that I come from a place where they drive on the left !