2nd Hand Books Shop

yeti

The Elite bookshop is relatively expensive with books areound the 250 baht mark but you do get 30% back on a return. There is another bookshop on the corner of Sukhumvit 22 and another bu the Nana junction where the books are about 100 baht but only 20 baht on the return so it is cheaper in the longer term.

The advantage of Elite is that their stock is much larger.

Happy reading. :o

There are 2 secondhand bookshops near emporium...

1. Elite Bookstore - across Emporium near Villa Market

2. Dasa Bookshop - near Sukhumvit Soi 26 (main road sukhumvit)

I hate Elite -- the owner is a arrogant prat and it's stupidly expensive -- but Dasa isn't bad.

There is however a third used bookstore right in the same area that I really prefer. It's just exactly across Soi 24 from the side entrance to the Emporium, above the 7-Eleven (staircase at the back). I know that probably doesn't sound very promising, but it's a verry pleasant little place. Homemade and comfy with drinkable espresso no less. Certainly worth taking a look.

There are 2 secondhand bookshops near emporium...

1. Elite Bookstore - across Emporium near Villa Market

2. Dasa Bookshop - near Sukhumvit Soi 26 (main road sukhumvit)

I hate Elite -- the owner is a arrogant prat and it's stupidly expensive -- but Dasa isn't bad.

There is however a third used bookstore right in the same area that I really prefer. It's just exactly across Soi 24 from the side entrance to the Emporium, above the 7-Eleven (staircase at the back). I know that probably doesn't sound very promising, but it's a verry pleasant little place. Homemade and comfy with drinkable espresso no less. Certainly worth taking a look.

hahaha !

seems like some people never change. once I have reported her to tourist police - she tried to punch (or kick - or both) me ! she is arrogant beyond imagination.

I never went there before, even though sometimes they can have books which I couldn't find elsewhere.

there are a lot of shops om Sukhumvit, true. I'd suggest to start from soi 3 though - not 23.

otherwise - a lot more used books stores are on Khaosan rd - within short distance around 5 or 6 shops. and they do buy a lot.

however I'd like some help regarding shop which would buy big size books - coz most of shops don'w want them. any advice?

I think it's called Thaibrary or something like that. and i think it's somewhere in between a library and a bookstore. i went in when it first opened, very nice Brit/Thai couple who ran it.

• 3 weeks later...

If you ever go to Cambodia or Vietnam you can buy good colour and bw photocopied books for about $2.

There is now quite a big selection including all the top best sellers and pretty much anything made by Asia Books.

Phenom Penh and HCMC seem to be the best places to stock up.

if you want free Ebooks get an IRC client, go to irc.fdfnet.net /warez

Type !list and accept the text file.

Download a copy of SmartFtp and go through the list of servers until you find thousands of copied books, usually in .pdf format.

Free books, I have about 20,000 on my laptop - a lot nicer than carrying them around.

Of course this is illegal unless you own a copy of the original and dont distribute.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Bulls Head Pub on Sukhumvit 33/1 (upstairs) you can buy lots of English language novels. Books cost approx. 80 baht and new books are donated every month. Procedes from the sale go to the British Womens Group who use the money for charity purposes. Please return books to the Bulls Head when finished reading as this money goes a long way in helping good causes. :o

• 6 months later...
In the Bulls Head Pub on Sukhumvit 33/1 (upstairs) you can buy lots of English language novels.  Books cost approx. 80 baht and new books are donated every month.  Procedes from the sale go to the British Womens Group who use the money for charity purposes.  Please return books to the Bulls Head when finished reading as this money goes a long way in helping good causes. :o

you can also borrow books from the black swan - not that many but they like you to swap books - if you take one return one or more etc.