Has Anyone In Chiang Mai Ever Had A Home Visit From Immigration?

DavidOxon

Hi - was just wondering.

Last year I had to take a neighbour a long with me, but a friend in Lamphun

did get an Immigration officer visiting his neighbours and asking questions.

I was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else?

David

PS . . . could someone add 'neighbour' to the dictionary please!

:) last year Immigration at the airport made a mistake on date stamping one of our passports. Rather than face the administrative consequences the Immigration officer drove out to our house to make the correction. Have been told that they face two days in jail for such mistakes, as all mistakes on their part are considered deliberate and related to bribery.

We sat around the dining room table, had a drink and enjoyed the experience. Our thinking was why can't they do that every 90 days and save us the trip into town or come around when our visas need renewal?

I KNOW THAT ISN'T WHY THEY ARE VISITING YOUR NEIGHBORS THOUGH. :D

Good Luck!

:) last year Immigration at the airport made a mistake on date stamping one of our passports. Rather than face the administrative consequences the Immigration officer drove out to our house to make the correction. Have been told that they face two days in jail for such mistakes, as all mistakes on their part are considered deliberate and related to bribery.

We sat around the dining room table, had a drink and enjoyed the experience. Our thinking was why can't they do that every 90 days and save us the trip into town or come around when our visas need renewal?

Good Luck!

Sounds like a good policy to apply to all government officials and police :D

Good Luck!

That's very interesting information. Thank you for sharing. :D

I live in a Condo and yes they came to visit, I was not there at the time. They just asked the Manager a few questions regarding my stay.

They also requested passport details of every Farang staying in the building.

Edited by wales01

I live in a Condo and yes they came to visit, I was not there at the time. They just asked the Manager a few questions regarding my stay.

They also requested passport details of every Farang staying in the building.

Maybe they've relax their standards somewhat. They would not tell us when they would be coming but told us we had to be at home. Then they called a few days later and said that they were on their way. We stayed at our home for 4 days and nights waiting.When they came we were living in an apartment. They spent almost an hour going through the apartment manager's registration, looked in our apartment, and wrote out several pages of notes. Interviewed me, the manager and my wife. This was a couple of years ago so perhaps the standards have been relaxed.

The visit is standard and usually done within a day or two of your first extension based on marriage. Ours first and only was almost 12 years ago. Man and women came in, the women went into the bedroom and opened the clothes wardrobe for a few minutes. Got the affidavit from a neighbor and went on their way. Everything was cordial and polite. NOT A BIG DEAL!

Last week our neighbor down the street came and ask if my wife would sign the affidavit for them, They had been together for a number of years, but first extension based on marriage.

The biggest problem with immigration is all of you that seem to fight against every rule and regulation immigration has to impose in their country. Just roll with the punches, have all your documents in order, and don't lie to them. You'll find that if they need something, they will ask for it. You get it for them, and move on. Never Never a bad experience at Chiang Mai Immigration.

In fact, over the years they have gotten even better each year. We can be thankful we aren't in other parts of Thailand.

Be cool and relax.

The visit is standard and usually done within a day or two of your first extension based on marriage. Ours first and only was almost 12 years ago. Man and women came in, the women went into the bedroom and opened the clothes wardrobe for a few minutes. Got the affidavit from a neighbor and went on their way. Everything was cordial and polite. NOT A BIG DEAL!

Last week our neighbor down the street came and ask if my wife would sign the affidavit for them, They had been together for a number of years, but first extension based on marriage.

The biggest problem with immigration is all of you that seem to fight against every rule and regulation immigration has to impose in their country. Just roll with the punches, have all your documents in order, and don't lie to them. You'll find that if they need something, they will ask for it. You get it for them, and move on. Never Never a bad experience at Chiang Mai Immigration.

In fact, over the years they have gotten even better each year. We can be thankful we aren't in other parts of Thailand.

Be cool and relax.

I agree that in Chiang Mai every year has been an improvement, and I completely agree about having everything in order along with the right attitude. It makes no sense to fight for you'll certainly lose plus possibly make it worse for others. Really the only minor hassle was that one and only visit for the marriage visa extension. I recall it was around Valentine's Day and we were being told that we could not go out for fear that immigration 'could arrive at any time unannounced."