Tourist Visa To Retirement Extension Of Stay - Phuket?

I tried to do a search, but it didn't work so well.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any experience or information as to the possibility of converting a tourist visa to an O visa extended for retirement, in Phuket? I know this is routinely done in Pattaya, but what about Phuket? I see the US Embassy is doing an outreach to Phuket on March 19th, and so it would be easy for me to get my income letter. At that point, I'll be 10 or so days into my 30 day extension of my first 60 days on a double entry tourist visa.

Any advice?

I can't tell you. Most immigration offices will send you to Bangkok for that. You can ask Phuket immigration if they are willing to do. If not, I would suggest going abroad and get a proper non-O visa. That will be easier than applying in Bangkok and going back there after a week to get the actual transfer.

Yes it is possible in Phuket as I just did it last week. In addition to the income affidavit from the US Embassy, they wanted a copy of the ATM card that I use to bring the money into Thailand. All in, it took about 45 minutes total to transfer the tourist visa to a non-O for retirement, including getting a multiple entry exit stamp.

Note that they don't seem to be too friendly at the retirement desk these days, but just stay humble and lovable and don't lose it like a guy I know who got frustrated with them and mouthed off, slowing the whole process down and almost stopping the show. If you maintain your composure things will go smoothly.

Just noticed that you will be 10 days into an extension. I am not sure, but I think that you need at least 21 days remaining on the tourist visa to get the transfer to a non-O . I have seen other posts on that in the past, so a search on TV should answer the question.

Yes. At least 21 days left on your permission to stay needed.

Also there is no requirement to actually show the money entering Thailand.

Although the member above suggested that Phuket wanted this.

Correct no need to show that the money is getting into the country.

It helps to have a copy of the Thai ATM card ( not officially required ) as they are under the impression that you use the ATM card to get money from a Thai bank account and you use the account actual :)

So the ATM card copy ( only front side ) together with the proof of money on the account helps the process.

OK, thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to look closely at the dates, as I might not have the 21 days left by the time I get my embassy letter. Either way, it'll work out, I guess, as I do have a double entry tourist visa which will also cover the duration of my stay. I suppose a visa run won't kill me.

Truespirit:

Could you kindly describe the circumstances which caused your friend to "lose it" at the retirement desk at Phuket immigration.

The first-hand reports are the most educational posts on the Forum (IMHO).

Thanks in advance,

TN

• 2 weeks later...

Went yesterday. My husband got his tourist visa transferred to the non-o with 1 year + three months extension. They wanted a letter of guarantee from the bank AND copies of ALL pages in the bank book.... they definitely have some deal going with the copy office in the back.... They wouldn't transfer my visa, though. I got the understanding that they just don't do dependants visas there - I have to go to bangkok or an embassy.

You need to obtain a non immigrant O visa from a Consulate on the basis of your husbands new extension of stay (take a copy of his passport). You return with that and then extend to match your husband. Thereafter you both extend together.