Teens Get 25 Years For Killing Sex Workers

snoophound

Lets see if the AUS Justice system has any teeth. :o

A TEENAGER who drowned two sex workers in a crocodile-infested Northern Territory river could face deportation if he is found not to be an Australian citizen, a court heard yesterday.

Vietnamese-born Phu Ngoc Trinh and Ben William McLean continue to deny they murdered sex workers Phuangsri Kroksamrang, 58, and Somjai Insamnan, 27, as a judge prepares to lock them up for at least 25 years.

The women were bound with cable ties, weighed down with car batteries and thrown alive into the Adelaide River near Darwin after having consensual sex with Trinh and McLean in March last year.

Their floating bodies were discovered by crocodile-spotting tour guides a few days later.

Advertisement:

Justice Dean Mildren said there was no apparent motive for the murders.

Lawyers for the two 19-year-old high school friends yesterday urged the NT Supreme Court to set only the minimum 25-year non-parole period, after a jury found them guilty in March.

The prosecution said it would not seek more than 25 years.

However, Justice Mildren said it might "seem a bit unjust" if Trinh, the primary offender, received the same sentence as McLean.

The court heard Trinh strangled the women in the back of his family van while McLean drove to the river, where both men threw them off a bridge, apparently unaware the women were still alive.

Justice Mildren queried the immigration status of Trinh, who was born in a rural village in Vietnam and came to Australia as a refugee.

Trinh told his lawyer he was a citizen, but Justice Mildren ordered the defence to produce documentation or "he might face deportation". McLean's lawyer, Suzan Cox, said her client had never been in trouble with the police until now and was of good character.

Meanwhile, a victim impact statement, signed by Thailand's ambassador to Australia, said Ms Insamnan's family continued to suffer after her death, as she provided the main source of income for the impoverished family in a Thai village.

As well as the trauma of losing a loved one, the family had found it difficult to pay for the return of Ms Insamnan's ashes to Thailand and for her funeral, and now lacked financial support.

Trinh and McLean, who are appealing against their convictions, will be sentenced today.

Were these women Ozzie citizens?

If not, did they have visas, work permits etc?

No mention of their nationality on the SMH or ABC news.

Most Aussies that have anything to do with Thailand have been following the story...they were indeed Thai ladies, on the game and I believe were both residents of Australia.

Meadish...they were found guilty....no ifs about it.

Some general "not necessarily educated" observations.

All the Aussies whom I have met are the rough-and-tumble types. I thought that they would have a death penalty for these two guys. Are there any circumstances in which the death penalty is handed out?

Does it matter about the Vietnamese man's citizenship? Why deport him is he is a murderer? He commited the crime in Aussie. He should do the time in Aussie.

What does the Thai government official have to do with any of this? The women were hooking overseas because Thailand dos not have a system in which they would be able to earn enough to aid their families. He never said anything about that before, but only now after they have died and can no longer prostitute themselves. The government had virtualy no educational oportunities for these women when they were younger, so they could not find a way to earn money here. Is he searching for the 19 year-olds to send some money to the women's families? I am all for it, just as soon as the Thai government arranges for the cop in Kanchanaburi to send some money back to England.

A little off topic, but still a Thai prostitute in Australia. I never heard of parties responsible for the below lady's death coming to trial.

In the case of Puongtong Simaplee, a 27-year old Thai female, who was taken and sold into prostitution at the age of 12, that we are reminded that kidnapping or selling of young females is still very much alive and prospering in third world nations in this 21st century. These girls most often come from the poorest provinces in their respective countries.

Puongtong choked to death on her own vomit in Sydney, Australia in 2001; she weighed only 31 kilos. This is not yet a civilized world when these tragedies are allowed not only to occur but to continue. She had been enslaved for 15 years. Following the release of her story two years after her death, her parents claimed that she was never taken nor sold.

The Oz govt doesnt have a death penalty, bearing in mind that each state and territory has it's own govt, but any that introduced it would soon be overidden by the federal system.

Good point if the guy is not an Ozzie, but he should still be encarcerated here for the crime, and deported on release.

I just can't understand how or why anyone could murder these women, but the deed is done and their lives can't be returned, the perpertrators have got 25 years to ponder their fate.

Totally barbaric killing. But, the media really love to play it up with the term' crocodile infested river' . No doubt that the river is full of Estuarine crocs and these two shitebags were relying on them to dispose of the evidence, I guess the croc-feeding tours kept the local's bellies full :o

I know that area have fished there quite a few times and it was teeming with crocs when I was there, maybe they have got so used to being fed their habits have changed.

I took the photo on the left at this spot. I wouldn't fish there.

I know that area have fished there quite a few times and it was teeming with crocs when I was there, maybe they have got so used to being fed their habits have changed.

I took the photo on the left at this spot. I wouldn't fish there.

I wouldn't now but about 25 years ago these croc feeding tours were relatively new.

I felt reasonably safe in my tinny, now they have basicly been trained to jump out of the water for a feed.

Wages in the Darwin nick for teenagers won't be too much.

Great that a judge is handing out stiff sentences to these creeps

25 years and no parole in hot and humid Darwin. :D

I could think of a hotter way to let them go out! Fry them in the chair!

Sowwy makes my blood boil and so should theirs! :o

• 2 weeks later...
Aussie citizens I believe

'Noi' was not an Aussie citizen yet, she was due to have her 'Citizenship Ceremony' about 3 weeks after she was Murdered.

She was a realy nice person and my wife for 7 years (the last 3 seperated), I still miss her and I always will.

These 2 little bastards deserve more than 25 years :o