Iphone 3 Gs Thai Crashed

thibaud

Hi everyone.

I have an Iphone 3GS 32GB, purchased unlocked and jailbroken in BKK, which was running with 3.1.2.

For unknown reason, it crashed (meaning that its screen is frozen on the Apple logo) last month. Restarted several time, nothing changed, went to the shop for a reset (as done a few times before) 3 weeks ago, and there, big problem; as Apple as released the 3.1.3, still not jailed broken, they could do nothing for the moment! And the vague notion is that it could still take a month before anything could be done...

(and of course 3.1.2 cannot be reinstalled).

So here I am, stranded with my crashed Iphone, with no idea when i could use that 3 months old phone again!

Does anybody have any suggestion(s) on how i could do (in BKK) to have it work again? Or do we all have to wait for the jailbreak release?!?

Thanks in advance.

Tibo

Those guys that "fixed" your iphone without checking with you first that it needs to be unlocked are completely incompetent. Everyone knows that 3.1.3 cannot be unlocked and they installed it without a thought... stupid.

There seems to be a possible way to downgrade 3.1.3 back to 3.1.2. Follow the steps EXACTLY.

After you downgrade, google the unlock for 3.1.2

Edited by TheLaughingMan

Agreed.

Even then, some of the later iphones on 3.1.2 (7D11) can't be jailbroken without having to repeat the jailbreak process frequently (e.g after a power off).

Good luck

Do you you mean "unlock" rather than "jailbreak". All factory unlocked iPhones can be jailbroken without a problem. Mine is, and I am on 3.1.3 as well.

To clear up some confusion: If you get 3.1.3 installed on a 3GS that was sold sim-locked, you are SOL. There's no way to unlock this phone now. Happened to a friend of mine, he upgraded by accident. The reason is that there's two pieces to the upgrade - the OS, and something called "baseband" which is basically a sort of low level phone firmware. The latter is responsible for the SIM lock, and it can't be downgraded on 3GS phones at this time. You can downgrade to 3.1.2 but it won't help the SIM lock as the baseband remains new.

BTW if you are in the market for a new iPhone, only ever buy factory unlocked, like right here in Thailand at True, cracked is just asking for trouble.

- If your phone is a factory unlocked one then you shouldn't have any issues. 3.1.3 works, you just lose your jailbreak and any Cydia programs you might have had. I am guessing that's not the case here.

- If your phone is sim-locked/cracked/jailbroken, and you have installed 3.1.3, it's over. You have to wait for a jailbreak, and enjoy your iPod Touch in the meantime. The phone function won't work.

- If your phone is cracked and crashed, but you did not install 3.1.3 yet, then there's a way to re-install 3.1.2. Cydia saved so called hash codes (SHSH) for 3.1.2 for exactly that purpose - to activate an older version of the firmware without Apple's approval. The way it works is that upon a new OS install the phone connects to the Apple servers and asks (simplified) if that's an OK firmware. Cydia's stored SHSH files can be used to divert the request to a Cydia server instead, and simulate an Apple "OK" response, tricking your iPhone into thinking it has an officially approved OS version.

The latter isn't all that hard to do, I did it on my phone as I had managed to crash it just like you. This is what the shop should have done for you.

BTW I am 100% sure that my crash and also yours are a direct result of installing Cydia and some packages. I was using iBlacklist when I got a crash followed by a bricked device. If you stick to official Apple software you are very, very safe. It doesn't crash like this; even if it did, there's backups; new OS updates work just fine. The Cydia packages are basically hacks that go around the officially approved programming APIs and therefore they are very prone to breaking.

Edited by nikster

And maybe just to clarify a bit more: if you have a factory unlocked iPhone 2G or 3G, you can safely and easily jailbreak. If you have a 3GS, it's more complicated and you need to be sure you have your SHSH hashes backed up with Cydia. All this may sound complicated, but as nikster said, a good iPhone shop at MBK can do it with no problem.

All in all, there seems to be very little benefit from the update to 3.1.3, and some believe this update sets some openings to block future jailbreaks. Have a look here for more information:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/