Getting Address Confirmation Letter To Buy Car

gouda

hi,

i want to buy a car in my own name, pay cash. went to the local amphur (outside bangkok) with the owner of the house i am staying in plus the local pu yai to ask for a confirmation of address letter. They refused to give one as they said they were afraid of having problems in the future, i could see they didn't really want to help. its a small amuphur and they havent done it before,

so can anyone suggest how i can get a letter or alternative i can use as i have put a deposit down already so need it quickly.

the amphur said another foriegner had a certifcate of residence and i should ask where i can apply for that...

Will immigration office in bkk help?

my friend has a flat in bangkok were i have stayed before , can i use that address instead?

many thanks

A certificate of residency as they are normally referred to are normally only issued by your Immigration office or embassy/consulate. These letters are required for all vehicle purchases, driver license application and renewals

I got mine from my embassy. I should also tell you I visitied the immigration office and learned that this document can only be issued if you have once done a 90-day registration as a holder of a non-immigrant visa. In my case it meant I could not get the document because I have never registered, due to extensive travel in and out of Thailand - removing the need to register at immigration.

After much grief and thousands of baht in wasted taxi fees I went to the embassy and they sorted it in less than 20 mins.

There are many answers to the OP's question here at TV, but the most accurate one is here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Certificate-...t&p=2876147

This applies to Pattaya and I would think applies to most areas of Thailand

I would prefer to pay 200 THB to Immigration rather than spend 1020 THB at the US Embassy in Bangkok

2 photos

200 baht

Passport

copy of front page of passport

copy of visa page of passport

House book

Copy of house book pages

And if you don't have a house book I am sure that a utility bill or lease would suffice

There are many answers to the OP's question here at TV, but the most accurate one is here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Certificate-...t&p=2876147

This applies to Pattaya and I would think applies to most areas of Thailand

Probably, providing you meet all requirements to get the certificate. The OPs question here was which immigration office issues named document, but the REAL truth is they dont unless you meet the criteria, none of which are described or mentioned in the post you are referring to.

The utility bill, on the other hand, could have saved me 1100 THB, I might even bring my AMEX or internet bill just to see if it works...

Although a resident of Bangkok, I just did this at the end of last week and bought a car today.

I went to the American embassy for the letter and, much to my surprise, needed no documentation other than my passport (although I did take my rental agreement with me). I then paid 2400 baht, filled out one form, swore to the clerk that the statement was true, and had my address verification. In and out 20 minutes.