If You Have A Half-thai Daughter..

WinnieTheKhwai

Potential partner for half-Thai daughter  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting poll,i think if you asked the thai parent it would definately be a westerner,but i think the tricky bit is what the western parent would like his kids to date/marry without being called a racist! I said a westerner because they have more money don't they?? :)

If I have a half-Thai daughter, I'd hope she'd grow up smart enough to make her own choices, but as an assumption I'd like to see she found a bloke who could balance out my own influences as a father, and therefore meet a decent sort of Thai fellow.

I haven't voted yet because I'm at least nine months away from having another daughter, and my only other daughter, Rest Her Soul, is Australian.

You forgot the choice of "a nice, responsible, loving and considerate person of any origin". That's all that matters to me everything else is subjective.

*edit* ^Exactly....

Edited by WarpSpeed

You forgot the choice of "a nice, responsible, loving and considerate person of any origin". That's all that matters to me everything else is subjective.

Good comment, also made by others.

No, I didn't forget it. I consciously left it out.

I originally had the 'It doesn't matter to me' option to include an 'as long as he's a good guy and they love each other' but felt that stating such a sweeping 'feel good' option would sway people's gut feelings towards the politically and morally most correct option. :) I'm going for gut feel in this poll.

However note that the 'doesn't matter' option remains the closest choice to what you stated. It's what I voted myself.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I have a son, and for him as well as if I have a daughter race would be totally irrelevant to me as far as who I would like them to date. Other things would be much more important like loyalty, self respect, ambition, ect.

My Daughter is half Thai, or is that half English. She's only 18 months old, so I have plenty of time to ponder but I would just want her to marry someone she loves. However, if it is a Thai bloke she ends up marrying, it'll be a huge Sin Sot I'll be demanding :)

It's her choice - my daughter will be permitted to go out with and marry whoever she wants -when she is old enough, and if I and her mother have done our jobs properly I don't think we will have to second guess her judgement any more so than any other parent has to as their daughter grows up (other than step in from time to to keep a lid on those matters teenagers tend to overlook).

But at the end of the day - the choice will be hers, after all she'll have to live with that choice, not me or her mother!

wow, I'm surprised that race is important for so many voters!

talk about narrowmindedness! or... short-sightedness?

how many of those who voted "prefer western" would turn down a thai royal prince/princess as a son/daughter in law??

I want my daughter to marry a westerner,not German or French, to get a big sinsot.

Want my lad to marry a westerner so I won't have to pay sinsot.

Seriously? That's the second sin sod comment I read.. Could be another interesting poll: how many people would welcome (or demand) a sin sod for their daughter..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This is exactly what i thought when first reading the post and voting,i do not see it as racism only wanting what is best for your kids.

The very same reason most of our Thai companions chose a westerner.

hmmm... as 9 of 10 of the Replies pointed out, in this day and age, race should not be a factor.

Look Who's Coming to Dinner was a movie for the times, decades ago!

Participation in the Poll cannot be completed without making a decision based on race, so you will have a difficult time explaining how you 'do not see it as racism' !?

I think when a moderator gets around to viewing this Topic, they will cross reference it to the Rules.

I hope my daughter ends up with a very nice citizen of the planet Earth!

This is exactly what i thought when first reading the post and voting,i do not see it as racism only wanting what is best for your kids.

Did you mean low income Thai campanions? As long as I know most Thais at average and above classes do not encourage their son and daughter to marry with a foreigner, especially westerner due to cuturally differences. You can ask them.

I want my daughter to marry a westerner,not German or French, to get a big sinsot.

Seriously? That's the second sin sod comment I read.. Could be another interesting poll: how many people would welcome (or demand) a sin sod for their daughter..

well it would be just as 'interesting' or 'uninteresting' as this, depending on how 'fabulous' or NOT you think this one is.

While a sin sod poll would not be race based, like this one, TV requests reading before posting about sin sod.

every possible aspect of it has been covered 100 times.

Interesting - the fact that we can conclude, there are a fair amount of Farang, with sons to a Thai wife, who are posting a preference for their son to marry a western girl!!!

My point is not to do with racism - my thought is, why would a western man married and having children with a Thai......want his son to marry a western girl, and not a Thai girl as he has?

well it would be just as 'interesting' or 'uninteresting' as this, depending on how 'fabulous' or NOT you think this one is.

While a sin sod poll would not be race based, like this one, TV requests reading before posting about sin sod.

every possible aspect of it has been covered 100 times.

Really?......could you point me to the 100 posts where a farang father has used the sinsod request to put off a potential suitor for his daughter.......

hmmm... as 9 of 10 of the Replies pointed out, in this day and age, race should not be a factor.

Participation in the Poll cannot be completed without making a decision based on race, so you will have a difficult time explaining how you 'do not see it as racism' !?

I think when a moderator gets around to viewing this Topic, they will cross reference it to the Rules.

Sorry, but I think it's a stretch to call "Westerner" a race. As if all Westerners are of a single race? A Westerner of African or Asian ancestry is still a Westerner. Quite obviously it's the cultural background that's relevant here, but let me hasten to confirm this since you raised the issue. Going by your logic, debating every single cultural feature that's unique to Thailand would be racism when debated vis a vis a Western/"Farang" background / culture? Actually I struggle to even call 'Thai' a race; it's a nationality. (And no, I don't want to go there in this topic beyond pointing out that there are Thais from various backgrounds such as Chinese, Khmer, Lao, Malay, and various hilltribes.)

And then, you're from Canada, possibly THE most ethnically diverse country in the world. I would not hesitate for a second to include every single Canadian as Western. I hope that goes some way to put the challenge to bed. Either way the "It doesn't matter to me" option seems the appropriate one for people who don't want to make a cultural-background-based decision.

( I apologize if the tone of this post is overly combative, but getting accused of racism is upsetting to me. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Not difficult at all,when other people get on there high horse about this and that,i just smile :) and this thread a very good one is well within this forums rules.

Did you mean low income Thai campanions? As long as I know most Thais at average and above classes do not encourage their son and daughter to marry with a foreigner, especially westerner due to cuturally differences. You can ask them.

No not specific to low income thais,(class card?) There are many many Thais of all classes! involved with westerners. You can see them.