Nakhon Sawan In June I Come....!

Danjel

Hi guys.

I wrote hear a little over a year ago.

Thought the Farang population thread was getting a little too long with too many wide spread questions, so I've decided to create a new one (at least with my questions).

I'll be heading back up around mid June. For about a week, and perhaps skip a day going to Phaisali (seing the missus family in Samrungchai)

I was back in October (09) for a few days, and I still like this place, however whenever I'm there I get a little restless (don't know what to do or see)

So a couple of sightseeing hints would be appriciated.

The last 2 times I've stayed at .... (D & K or something like that), big hotel block infront of Big Steak house. The first time was nice (a year ago), however in October there were litterally millions of small flies at night (laying dead like leaves on the balcony the next day, I walked out on barefeets, the noice was chrunch... chrunch, looked down and saw it was dead flies I was standing on, Eeuw...!

Some also got into the room, and it didn't seem very clean, so I'd like to upgrade to a better hotel, so I was hoping that someone might have a better suggestion.

Next thing is the bar/disco scene, is that centered in one place or spread out? I've noticed some bars/disco's along the lake, is that it, or is there some other district in town (my missus and I are rather young 24 and 25), so I'd like to try get drunk and party up there.

Last year I worked out at the gym near the lake (kind of ok), but the machines were very old and dangerous (I snapped the cable of the pull down machine in my tenth rep of lat pull downs with max weight), nothing happened, other than a huge bang, and the instructer was very sorry. So I'm gonna ask again, does they have another place, or is that gym my best option?

After the gym I like to eat a big steak. Steakhouses in Nakhon Sawan, where are they located? I know big steak house (not very big, but the staff is nice and service is always good), the steaks aren't world class but acceptable.

We were asking around and was told they do have steakhouses, so could any of you expats please name them and loction please...?

I'd also like to meet up with some of you guys for some beers, and a pubcrawl, that would be awesome, we could arrange that, when the time gets nearer. I'd like to try it out, so I hope maybe some of you would show me around.

Lastly, we plan to head up to Chiang Mai after the week in Nakhon Sawan. I know the busses are going, but how about the train or plane? I'd like to take the train if the seats are comfortable, and not wooden seats. How long will it take? And what would you recommend?

Well that was a long read with questions, so to sum it up:

- What to do in Nakhon Sawan? (sightseeing)

- Hotels? (recommendation)

- Redlight destrict?(bar/disco areas)

- Steakhouses?

- Gyms?

- Meet up/pubcrawl?

- Best means of transportation to Chiang Mai? (train, bus or plane)

That was quite a bit, hope to get some good answers.

Thanks alot, and hope to meet up with some of you guys in June.

Cheers!

Daniel

Edited by Danjel

• 3 weeks later...

go to this site

thailand.sawadee.com/nakhonsawan/attractions.htm

" Privarin resort and spa "

rate 500 - 800 THB/night with Jacuzzi.

www.privarin.com/contact.htm

tel. 0-5688-2376

btw The restaurant in the hotel is good also. They have Thai and Japanese food.

---------------------------------

Shanya Guesthouse @ Nakhonsawan

Tel. 056-334350

rate 450 - 500 THB/ Night

www.nana-napak.com/web.php?wid=35&p=accom

bangkok-guide.z-xxl.com/?p=7942

- Steakhouses?

I have no idea Coz Nakhon Sawan They are known for Fish not Steakhouse!!!

- Gyms?

Fitness and herb

1013/16-7 Sawanviti Rd. Nakhonsawantok A.Muang Nakhonsawanค์ 60000

056-334-129 , 056-334-159

0563, 05639

- Meet up/pubcrawl?

Bus

Sightseeing in Nakhon Sawan.

Really not much of anything...unless you like temples. There are some cool spots outside of it; a trip down to Chai Nat and the bird farm (? what the wifey calls it) is worth it. Plenty of waterfalls west of there in Uthai Thani province although they probably won't be flowing as much as the end of wet season. If you're a biker there's lots of roads that can be travelled upon that are just exciting enough without being too dangerous. There's the temple just outside of NakWan with those monkeys to visit, but if you go keep the lady's purse inside the vehicle as the little thieving b@sturds are stronger than you'd think.

Hotels.

Can't recommend anything since I've got a house.

Red light district.

Go to Nakhon Sawan Park and there's all sorts of discos/bars on the road the surrounds it. Don't know if it's going to provide the *ahem* services that you could possibly, or not, be interested in but there they are.

Steakhouse.

You've eaten at the best steak house in NakWan. As pointed out it's mostly all fish, fish, and the occasional river prawn (unless you like yard bird). Knowing the right people can get you some of the best poached venison that I've ever had.

Gyms.

As in workout (sorry but those first four letters and I do not get along)?

Meetup/pubcrawl.

I'm afraid that if you're looking for a hip young crowd to hang with you're going to be severely disappointed. I'm the youngest Westerner I've seen in the province--and I'm 31. Next closest, that I know about, is a decade older. If you don't mind chilling with people who at one point in their life said "I like Ike" (or the foreign equivalent) than you can meet a few every day knocking back cold ones in Big C's lobby.

Best means of transportation to Chiang Mai.

Hire someone to drive you. Seriously. The bus is probably the cheapest, but I've never liked them simply because when I have to pee it's time to pee and quite a few if not nearly all are without toilets. Never road the train, suppose it would be fun, but if you're time constrained you may want to forgo it. Airplane is out of the question simply because NakWan doesn't have a proper airport.

Conincidentally you'll be there round 'bout the same time as I, last week of June 27 should be touch down since that's the first pay period of a 'five' week month.

Steakhouse.

You've eaten at the best steak house in NakWan. As pointed out it's mostly all fish, fish, and the occasional river prawn (unless you like yard bird). Knowing the right people can get you some of the best poached venison that I've ever had.

Can you give me some directions to this steak house Dave?

Thanks.

go to this site

thailand.sawadee.com/nakhonsawan/attractions.htm

" Privarin resort and spa "

rate 500 - 800 THB/night with Jacuzzi.

www.privarin.com/contact.htm

tel. 0-5688-2376

btw The restaurant in the hotel is good also. They have Thai and Japanese food.

---------------------------------

Shanya Guesthouse @ Nakhonsawan

Tel. 056-334350

rate 450 - 500 THB/ Night

www.nana-napak.com/web.php?wid=35&p=accom

bangkok-guide.z-xxl.com/?p=7942

- Steakhouses?

I have no idea Coz Nakhon Sawan They are known for Fish not Steakhouse!!!

- Gyms?

Fitness and herb

1013/16-7 Sawanviti Rd. Nakhonsawantok A.Muang Nakhonsawanค์ 60000

056-334-129 , 056-334-159

0563, 05639

- Meet up/pubcrawl?

Bus

Getting to Chiang Mai is not a bad deal. There are two classes of train you would want to take the sprinter, it travels at night and you can reserve a sleeper room, gets to Chiang Mai about 7:00 AM. Not sure of the price.Has a.c. and they do serve a meal, not great but if your hungry ok.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know where this "Big Steak House" is?

:)

Nakhon Sawan barbeque should be good enough. If we buy the meat then cook over a couple of brewskies. Give us a ring when you get to NS.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea :-)