What's Up With Chiang Rai

Finlaco

I've been coming to Chiang Rai province for ten years and continue to love the countryside and the mountains. I arrived yesterday evening to spend one night before flying back to bkk (where I live). I don't frequent Patpong or Pattaya type places. In one night in CR, I've seen at least 20 farang social rejects with their Thai equivalents. I'm not just referring to an older man with a younger girl, I mean guys that wouldn't get served in my local bar back home. CR is a small city and it's sad to see it crawling with such people.

Live and let live, sure, but Chiang Rai city us just a little too small.

It depends how you define social rejects. I can tell from your post that I would likely rather socialize with these farangs than with you. The "Better Than Thou" farangs irritate me.

Finlaco, let me be the first to apologize for this little city not being up to your standards. Untold, is the grief that we all suffer here in CR, knowing that this little city just isn't, nor will it ever be, a little Bangkok. You can't imagine the despair we feel and, alas, you've only made it worse by publicly commenting on it. The most we can hope for is that other smart people (like you) read your post and put off any visits they had been contemplating. I'm sure other people that aren't nearly as bright as you will arrive here and fate will have its way. My heart breaks.

There is an upside to this story of wretched Farang people suffering their fate in this city. While so many of us arrived here in the past and have found ourselves to be trapped in its inescapable grasp of smallness and boredom, bound at the wrists and ankles by its lack of crowds, crime and hatefulness, we are often treated to stories of success of people like you. Let me tell you, you can't imagine the joy we feel when we read of your exploits and your escape from this place. Oh!, the envy we feel when we realize that we are still here and yet somehow, you have managed to elude the sentence bestowed upon the rest of us.

Enjoy "your local bar" in BKK and think of us often as you swill whatever it is you swill. Regale the patrons with stories of how bad it is here and how you made your lucky getaway, thereby gratefully escaping the life of suffering you witnessed. Please, PLEASE, make sure that all who are like you, know of the pitfall awaiting them if they were to make the same mistakes that you have made.

This place is so much as you say that the only joy we can have is knowing that you, and others that share your thinking, have found reason to stay far from here, safe in such a beautiful, big metropolis and are able to enjoy all (and I mean ALL) that such a big city has to offer. Sit on your barstool and know that there is no joy in CR, except the joy we can find in knowing that you are where you are and that we are where we are. Know that our thoughts are not joyful, but filled with envy of the life you live in BKK. And when BKK sinks into the ocean and you're looking for a drier place to live, remember the despair you found here and go south instead. Go very far south, drop us a line and let us know where you ended up so we can envy your life in that place as well. You're all we have. Don't let us down.

Edited by kandahar

'kandahar' u write elegantly but read poorly. I wasn't comparing BKK and CR, merely commenting that cos of it's size (the city, not the farang) the sex-pat is too visable, especially since they congregate in the area where most guesthouses are located.

Finlaco, let me be the first to apologize for this little city not being up to your standards. Untold, is the grief that we all suffer here in CR, knowing that this little city just isn't, nor will it ever be, a little Bangkok. You can't imagine the despair we feel and, alas, you've only made it worse by publicly commenting on it. The most we can hope for is that other smart people (like you) read your post and put off any visits they had been contemplating. I'm sure other people that aren't nearly as bright as you will arrive here and fate will have its way. My heart breaks.

There is an upside to this story of wretched Farang people suffering their fate in this city. While so many of us arrived here in the past and have found ourselves to be trapped in its inescapable grasp of smallness and boredom, bound at the wrists and ankles by its lack of crowds, crime and hatefulness, we are often treated to stories of success of people like you. Let me tell you, you can't imagine the joy we feel when we read of your exploits and your escape from this place. Oh!, the envy we feel when we realize that we are still here and yet somehow, you have managed to elude the sentence bestowed upon the rest of us.

Enjoy "your local bar" in BKK and think of us often as you swill whatever it is you swill. Regale the patrons with stories of how bad it is here and how you made your lucky getaway, thereby gratefully escaping the life of suffering you witnessed. Please, PLEASE, make sure that all who are like you, know of the pitfall awaiting them if they were to make the same mistakes that you have made.

This place is so much as you say that the only joy we can have is knowing that you, and others that share your thinking, have found reason to stay far from here, safe in such a beautiful, big metropolis and are able to enjoy all (and I mean ALL) that such a big city has to offer. Sit on your barstool and know that there is no joy in CR, except the joy we can find in knowing that you are where you are and that we are where we are. Know that our thoughts are not joyful, but filled with envy of the life you live in BKK. And when BKK sinks into the ocean and you're looking for a drier place to live, remember the despair you found here and go south instead. Go very far south, drop us a line and let us know where you ended up so we can envy your life in that place as well. You're all we have. Don't let us down.

Nicely done :)