Thailand to impose security law for Thaksin protests

george

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is needed. Well done.

Stop talking rubbish, this is thailand and the thai,s have a right to demonstrate how they chose fit,this is one sure way of over reaction, when will us farang just keep our mouths shut and mind our own business,

"...the thai's have a right to demonstrate as they choose fit." Sure sounds like you are shooting your mouth off and not minding your own business. You just have a different view and are trying to be righteous about it.

Does anyone think this is a good time to collonise Thailand then we can run it for them? :)

I think Thailand does quite well as it is, as a country that has never been colonized nor will it evrt be. Such statements might actually unite the two sides right now.

Does anyone think this is a good time to collonise Thailand then we can run it for them? :)

you must be British, aren't you? :D

Not sure if the guy is British.

In my dictionary I read “col·on·ize (BrE also col·on·ise)”, written with a single l.

you must be British, aren't you? :D

Not sure if the guy is British.

In my dictionary I read "col·on·ize (BrE also col·on·ise)", written with a single l.

No ... his name is "landofthefree". That's some tourism slogan for the US. And the US aren't going to colonis/ze. There's no oil here. Or WMD.

Traveling from the US on the 15th. A bit nervous. I checked the US Government's travel site this moning and still no travel warnings or alerts have been issued over this. Not sure if our guys are asleep at the wheel or just not concerned. The press I'm hearing over here when there is any is quite negative so not sure what will happen in the next week regarding travel advice. The implementation of their Security Act sort of sounds like the imposition of Martial Law!

Edited by AZBill

i am sick to death of all these left wing farangs moaning about the reds! if the so called yellow shirts (imbeciles) had not been allowed to close down the airport and change govt then none of this would have happened!! wake up, thaksin was no better/ no worse than other elected officials throughout the world. look at obama and the bribes he has paid to try and get health care through!!! who cares if a few votes were rigged. it would not have made a DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the thai democratic society (allegedly) voted before and they should have been allowed to have the govt they elected! i hope the country comes to its knees and all the hiso's in bkk suffer. they are just simpletons with cash, no more/no less. who wants an Totalitarian govt run by 'rich' people in bkk?? let the masses control the masses through a govt that is ELECTED! i am english and abbashit is a thai tony blair ( all smiles but full of piles!!)

How many government officials in the world do you know that made billions of dollars through their corruption while being PM?

if u look at the facts the stock exchange of thailand increased at about the same pace as thaksin's shares over a five year period (approx 140%) minimal when u look at goldman sach's horrendously assisted share gain during the financial collapse!! they were dead and gone but for the fact they were jews and henry paulson/tim geitner helped them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveling from the US on the 15th. A bit nervous. I checked the US Government's travel site this moning and still no travel warnings or alerts have been issued over this. Not sure if our guys are asleep at the wheel or just not concerned. The press I'm hearing over here when there is any is quite negative so not sure what will happen in the next week regarding travel advice. The implementatin of their Security Act sort of sounds like the imposition of Martial Law!

1) You never hear positive press. No one is interested and it doesn't make any money.

2) The ISA (Internal Security Act) has been enforced, which is (as someone else put it) a localised Martial Law. Which basically means that it's selective, and they will apply where/when they want to. If you're nowhere near the protests, then you won't even know about it until you see it on the news the next day.

Traveling from the US on the 15th. A bit nervous. I checked the US Government's travel site this moning and still no travel warnings or alerts have been issued over this. Not sure if our guys are asleep at the wheel or just not concerned. The press I'm hearing over here when there is any is quite negative so not sure what will happen in the next week regarding travel advice. The implementatin of their Security Act sort of sounds like the imposition of Martial Law!

1) You never hear positive press. No one is interested and it doesn't make any money.

2) The ISA (Internal Security Act) has been enforced, which is (as someone else put it) a localised Martial Law. Which basically means that it's selective, and they will apply where/when they want to. If you're nowhere near the protests, then you won't even know about it until you see it on the news the next day.

Do you know where the hotspots in Bangkok will be? I'm staying down at Siam Paragon area.

i am sick to death of all these left wing farangs moaning about the reds! if the so called yellow shirts (imbeciles) had not been allowed to close down the airport and change govt then none of this would have happened!! wake up, thaksin was no better/ no worse than other elected officials throughout the world. look at obama and the bribes he has paid to try and get health care through!!! who cares if a few votes were rigged. it would not have made a DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the thai democratic society (allegedly) voted before and they should have been allowed to have the govt they elected! i hope the country comes to its knees and all the hiso's in bkk suffer. they are just simpletons with cash, no more/no less. who wants an Totalitarian govt run by 'rich' people in bkk?? let the masses control the masses through a govt that is ELECTED! i am english and abbashit is a thai tony blair ( all smiles but full of piles!!)

How many government officials in the world do you know that made billions of dollars through their corruption while being PM?

if u look at the facts the stock exchange of thailand increased at about the same pace as thaksin's shares over a five year period (approx 140%) minimal when u look at goldman sach's horrendously assisted share gain during the financial collapse!! they were dead and gone but for the fact they were jews and henry paulson/tim geitner helped them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how bad would it have done if he hadn't changed all those laws to benefit his company?

Tensions rise. I just hope when this is all over the Thai people get what they want.

There has never been a human regime that has provided 100% satisfaction to its constituents, ever.

But, thats politics my friend.

"10. Order the "training at a special location" of suspects, in lieu of pressing charges against them, for up to six months (Article 31) – such training apparently requires the "consent" of the suspect, but with the threat of criminal procedures as alternative, the voluntariness of consent to such "training" is doubtful. In the absence of freely given consent, such training is therefore likely to amount to arbitrary detention.

Unless otherwise stated, none of the above provisions requires court authorisation for the powers to be exercised."

this is an imprisonment without a charge and without the court - just an administrative decision. No much less than "prisoner of war"

Sounds like “re-education camps” in former communist countries.

"10. Order the "training at a special location" of suspects, in lieu of pressing charges against them, for up to six months (Article 31) – such training apparently requires the "consent" of the suspect, but with the threat of criminal procedures as alternative, the voluntariness of consent to such "training" is doubtful. In the absence of freely given consent, such training is therefore likely to amount to arbitrary detention.

Unless otherwise stated, none of the above provisions requires court authorisation for the powers to be exercised."

this is an imprisonment without a charge and without the court - just an administrative decision. No much less than "prisoner of war"

It's a devils bargain certainly.

You are caught up in something beyond your expectations and not as a willing participant in,

and are left with a choice.

Explain your way out in court hopefully,

noting the ONLY allowed time for detention of those facing criminal charges is 30+7 days,

Or say 'they got me red handed' then submit to a possible shorter term of 'indoctrination'

and then release if your charged crime is 2-5 years and the detention training is 6 months

and your sure you got really truly caught that 6 months may seem a godsend.

It is similar to the teenage hoolligan getting caught with a 5 year jail term offense,

being given the chance to enlist in The Marines and not be jailed.

Same devils choice jail or serious indoctrination AKA boot camp.

Reprobate kids in USA get this choice 6 month bootcamp or jail take you pick.

The easiest and best solution is just don't get yourself into harms way to begin with.

And going to big rallies to 'bring down the government' are certainly harms way IMHO...

Certainly this is a vague and strong law, but this is in face of a strong threat to peace and order.

In the past when those threats diminish the law was retired. The public none the worse for it's presense.

In the actual history of the USE of this law, it's ' potentially draconian' possibilities have never been brought to fruition.

It has been used to make sure those seemingly intending to run amok, realize early on there WILL be strong consequences.

In the past leaders of the Reds HAVE drawn this reality check into the equation, but if they don't this time,

or their fringe nut elements get an open hand in an area,

well my feeling is:

There are significantly more Thai and other people who will NEVER feel any effect from this law being in effect,

but WILL have their rights and safety better preserved by it, than there will be those inconvenienced,

or subject to restraint for or from their actions while under this law.

Laws typically serve two purposes:

1 ) protect the general public from troublesome minority actions.

2 ) protect minority interests from the kneejerk actions of a panicked majority.

Every country has some form of Martial Law Legislation and it gives a military commander

tantamount to Ships Capitan Authority at minimum on land, 99% of the time it always reverts

back to normal, after a situation was held in control, because it NEEDED to be held in control.

Senior Reds insist they will protest peacefully, but Suthep said the maximum level of security forces would be deployed as the government was not confident protest leaders could control the movement, which contains several factions.

That puts it into perspective. Too many unknowns and loose cannons to take a complacent attitude about this.

Don't confuse this reality check with LIKING THIS LAW, it is a different kettle of fish, but... dead is forever.

Edited by animatic

Traveling from the US on the 15th. A bit nervous. I checked the US Government's travel site this moning and still no travel warnings or alerts have been issued over this. Not sure if our guys are asleep at the wheel or just not concerned. The press I'm hearing over here when there is any is quite negative so not sure what will happen in the next week regarding travel advice. The implementation of their Security Act sort of sounds like the imposition of Martial Law!

I Just got in to Thailand from New Orleans on the 6th, late, and my flight from Tokyo was packed. Does not seem to scaring anybody off yet. I live in Nonthaburi and all seem like normal so far here and in BKK to me. The Mrs wants to go south this week so we may just miss any festivities the reds have planned for BKK. Have a safe flight and have a good time here too!

Long Live The King!

I Just got in to Thailand from New Orleans on the 6th, late, and my flight from Tokyo was packed. Does not seem to scaring anybody off yet. I live in Nonthaburi and all seem like normal so far here and in BKK to me. The Mrs wants to go south this week so we may just miss any festivities the reds have planned for BKK. Have a safe flight and have a good time here too!

Long Live The King!

Thanks. Only in town for a few days before going down to Singapore but lookng forward to seeing BK again.

Security laws is very lol imho I don't know since when we weren't under some kind of iron-shod boot or other. When I was at school in the UK 1980s we expected The Soviets to get jiggy on the UK with those hundreds of thousands of nuclear warheads like ~at any moment~, I used to look out for them from the school wall at breaktimes. Henry Rollins wrote in one of his books, about an in-jail-for-life prisoner wrote to him and said " I love your music Henry, but can you tell me how it feels to be out in the free world" & Henry wrote back saying " I didn't know there was one."

Do you know where the hotspots in Bangkok will be? I'm staying down at Siam Paragon area.

From what I understand, their initial base will be around Sanam Luang. But with them expecting a million people (or 500,000 people (or 200,000 people (I'm not sure what they have brought it down to now)))) it will extend a fair way north of there. Their protests last Songkran also moved around to the Siam Paragon and Central World Plaza area. With the number of protestors and the violence that some of them (not all of them) are threatening, that area *may* be a bit too close to the action, but most likely it will just cause traffic problems for you.

Ahhh but the Thai authorities were not been the ones shedding blood last year, rather it was the red shirts. The military and police acted last April with admirable restraint it seems to me, and I think will do so again although I don't think they will allow it to get so out of control now.

If you seriously believe that you shouldn't be telling others about propaganda.

Last year in Pattaya while the protest was still peaceful I saw the "blue shirts" coming in at the back of pick ups, armed with iron bars and walkie talkies, they were all quite young with crew cuts, my girlfriend had the opportunnity to ask them where they were from...turns out they were strait out of the Sattahip barracks. One guy even said he didn't want to go as he was sympathetic to the red's cause, but was given little choice.

I am not taking sides here but the only little peace of information I have first hand is already very different from the official story :)

Edited by firestar

"Do you know where the hotspots in Bangkok will be? I'm staying down at Siam Paragon area. "

A poster has asked about the locations of protests. Does anyone have any information about where they will be gathering?

We must take into account the chance that we can't always comprehend the mindset of the average Homo Sapiens sapiens when agitated, eg.:

Friday On My Mind

phone-left.gif Send "Friday On My Mind" Ringtone to your Cell Phone phone-right.gif

Monday morning feels so bad

Everybody seems to nag me

Come on Tuesday I feel better

Even my old man looks good

Wednesday just won't go

Thursday goes too slow

I've got Friday on my mind

Gonna have fun in the city

Be with my girl, she's so pretty

She looks fine tonight

She is outa' sight to me

Tonight, I'll spend my bread