Theppraya Road Construction

kicking

...So who is doing the road planning and construction of this ??4 year project? No one seem to know the name, ph no. or the address. Could it be some high school project or something ? It doesn't seem to be done by professionals? (Was it a relative of someone that usually does private driveways?)

Pikey's !! :)

This kind of thing seems to happen often in Thailand. One notable case was many years ago, the road from Bangkok to Hua-Hin was all expressway or great quality dual-carriageway except for one short stretch just outside of Bangkok which was a dirt track. This caused massive traffic back-up right across Rama 9 bridge at certain times. This situation went on for around 5 years and the only people you ever saw working were guys with water tankers spraying the road to keep the dust down. Everyone wondered who was gaining out of this situation as someone must have been. there was no logical reason why this 1km section of road took around 8 years to be finished when the entire rest of the road from BKK to Hua-Hin was done in less than a year. Maybe the water tanker contractors were paying someone for it not to be finished?

I remember that dirt stretch on the way to Hua Hin...could never figure out why it took so long to complete, but it was a mess for sure.

I think I read somewhere they are having problems negotiating prices from various property owners to gain some required land. My guess, it's right where gmac indicated. Looks like that hotel there, or some of those small businesses, don't want to part with the land cheaply. Holding out for more cash.

Even so, they could have finished the existing part MUCH quicker. What a mess...and sad so many lives have been lost there.

Yes the mayor did say the whole project including the Jomtien second road extension would be completed by April 2010 earlier this year. I don't think Pattaya interests want to see the roadwork completed as it may effect their businesses negatively. You have to look at who may prosper with the delays, it sure isn't the business people on Thappraya Road or in Jomtien. When the project is not completed by April I am sure the city will blame the rains or some other convenient scapegoat but the fact is people are getting tired of getting bounced around the roads and breathing dust after 4 years of incompetence.

Up here in Korat their are many road projects in process, and they all finish in a reasonable amount of time. As a matter of fact all the public projects up here finish rather quickly, so why do all these projects in Pattaya take so long?

Barry

Massive corruption and gross incompetence.

I remember that dirt stretch on the way to Hua Hin...could never figure out why it took so long to complete, but it was a mess for sure.

I think I read somewhere they are having problems negotiating prices from various property owners to gain some required land. My guess, it's right where gmac indicated. Looks like that hotel there, or some of those small businesses, don't want to part with the land cheaply. Holding out for more cash.

Even so, they could have finished the existing part MUCH quicker. What a mess...and sad so many lives have been lost there.

I recall that stretch of road as well, it seemed to be in a pernament state of repair! It still impacts my thoughts now whenever I have to travel to Hua Hin - It used to take at least an hour at times just from the Rama 9 bridge just to where Central Rama 2 is now!

The sad fact is that the present road works end near the News Cafe. If they ever get it finished they'll just start on the next section which runs from there down by the Hanuman Statue and on round to the new road behind the immigration office. On present form that will take at least another ten years.

After that I expect them to start on the Pattaya monorail and the tunnel to Hua Hin.

One of the most annoying things is that the road doesn't actually just stop at the Hanuman Statue. There is a gap there and it restarts by the Bangkok Bank just past the top of Soi 5 (Immigration Soi) and runs for a few hundred metres before ending again at a brick wall! There is also further construction at intervals going along parallel to the Beach Road towards Soi Chaiyapreuk with sections of uselessly completed road broken by walls which presumably enclose areas where negotiations are still proceeding for the purchase of the land.

If they had concentrated on one section at a time the Road between Pattaya and Hanuman Statue could have been completed months ago and work on the further sections commenced as and when the land was available.

Do you mean the new Jomtien 2 road section? This used to end at a brick wall which was the boundary wall for Villa Navin. This is now cleared and they have had posession of this land and the land between the two sections of Jomtien beach Condos for some time. All they have done though is cleared the land and fenced off half of it, no other progress.

Actually it seems likely that the City has always retained the land between the two sections of JBC which is why the development was built in two sections, just that the developers forgot to tell prospective buyers that they will eventually have a 6 lane road through their apartments.

I have often wondered about this road and the new bypass near Lake Maprachan. From Google Earth a couple of years ago, it looked like a patchwork of road-fields-road-fields etc. Same excuse, unable to secure the land.

What are the odds that the land is owned by the same guys who did the planning?

>>Do you mean the new Jomtien 2 road section? This used to end at a brick wall which was the boundary wall for Villa Navin. This is now cleared and they have had posession of this land and the land between the two sections of Jomtien beach Condos for some time. All they have done though is cleared the land and fenced off half of it, no other progress.

Actually it seems likely that the City has always retained the land between the two sections of JBC which is why the development was built in two sections, just that the developers forgot to tell prospective buyers that they will eventually have a 6 lane road through their apartments.

<<

Sorry you are wrong .They are doing the cut through of JBC in two parts so that people can still have access from Beach road and the S1and S2 building to buildings A 1,2 and 3 .In the half they have now they are hard at work every day laying Water sewer and service pipes .When these have been laid and the road surface completed they will then start on the second half .

This is one of the few parts of the construction where there are people working 7 days a week .

that construction is one reason I did not rent there. But only one reason. I can only assume it is really going to suck after this road is finished for those in A1-3 (those are the ones on the East side, right?). You will now have 2 fairly busy roads to cross...and with no "observed" cross walks...

that construction is one reason I did not rent there. But only one reason. I can only assume it is really going to suck after this road is finished for those in A1-3 (those are the ones on the East side, right?). You will now have 2 fairly busy roads to cross...and with no "observed" cross walks...

They have plans for a pedestrian walkway above the road to connect the two halves of JBC .I live part time in Building A3 and there is very little construction noise .

They have plans for a pedestrian walkway above the road to connect the two halves of JBC .I live part time in Building A3 and there is very little construction noise .

As I understand it, when you investigate the substance of the promise of a pedestrian walkway (bridge) it was more of "we will consider"...

May be widening the central reservation to provide a safe central refuge for pedestrians to cross the road, even better still some pedestrian traffic lights as an alternative to a bridge.

As a person who also has a condo at JBC I see more benefits than inconvenience with the new road.

As I understand it, when you investigate the substance of the promise of a pedestrian walkway (bridge) it was more of "we will consider"...

May be widening the central reservation to provide a safe central refuge for pedestrians to cross the road, even better still some pedestrian traffic lights as an alternative to a bridge.

As a person who also has a condo at JBC I see more benefits than inconvenience with the new road.

Making a nice wide spot in the center would be great. Pedestrian traffic lights would be fantastic! All in all, I do agree it will be really nice when it is done...

• 3 weeks later...
They have actually made more progress this year than any other .Could be completed by the end of this year .Keep your fingers crossed . :)

The last report i read from City Hall was that they will complete the road this April 2010!

:D:D:D

I haven't been in Pattaya in the last 2 weeks until today when I noticed that the road is now complete.

Well they've finished laying the tarmac, which is a welcome development but I doubt if the condos and restaurants along the side of the road would say it was exactly complete.

Also, I wonder who decided there was no need for traffic lights or a roundabout at the Pratumnak/Thappraya junction. It won't be long before the white paint starts appearing at this junction.

The part from pattaya to hill top is complete. 3 years, and they painted the driving lane dividers last week. Now that part have a side walk, and 3 lanes running each way. The one on the sides are used for parking, and it is really neat piece of road. The road also have a 1 meter earth filled middle section dividing traffic directions. That divider is still work in progress it seems.

The part from hill top to Pan-Pan is opened for traffic in full width. This also happened last week. The middle section and sidewalks are still work-in-progress.

14 days ago they startet to rearrange the crows-nest electric/telephone lines from Pan-Pan to the statue. So I guess they start digging on that part now and it will be a complete mess for at least the next 6 months, or maybe even a year.

The sad thing is it really was not a complicated project. I have read articles about how the power company could not coordinate with the sewar company etc. etc.. Mulit-agency and state coordination and control was poor.

For an interesting perspective on things, go to you tube video site and you will fine many videos made in like 1987 of pattaya. I think it is from a german fellow who uploaded a lot of his old VHS videos. Really pretty and shows how simple the roads were then.

The part from pattaya to hill top is complete. 3 years, and they painted the driving lane dividers last week. Now that part have a side walk, and 3 lanes running each way. The one on the sides are used for parking, and it is really neat piece of road. The road also have a 1 meter earth filled middle section dividing traffic directions. That divider is still work in progress it seems.

The part from hill top to Pan-Pan is opened for traffic in full width. This also happened last week. The middle section and sidewalks are still work-in-progress.

14 days ago they startet to rearrange the crows-nest electric/telephone lines from Pan-Pan to the statue. So I guess they start digging on that part now and it will be a complete mess for at least the next 6 months, or maybe even a year.

Just in time for the rainy season :)

Just in time for the rainy season :)

Presume work will stop this week, until late next February given that next week is Songkran followed by the rainy season, and when the rainy season is over it is so close to Xmas and New Year followed by Chinese New Year.