Usb Modem - Help

jt936

I previously posted about using a mobile phone for internet connection and some people said it was better to get a usb modem.

Questions:

1. If I get a usb modem how do I connect to the internet?

2. Do I need a phone line?

3. what else should i know?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Some people are so helpful!

1) To connect to the Internet you will need an Internet Package from an Internet Service Provider such as True' AIS. ToT etc.

2) Yes you will need a 'phone line.

3) An USB Modem you buy should be "Bus Powered" i.e. you do not need to plug it into the main electricity supply - when you plug it into the USB Port on your Computer, it gets power from there too.

Patrick

Some people are so helpful!

1) To connect to the Internet you will need an Internet Package from an Internet Service Provider such as True' AIS. ToT etc.

2) Yes you will need a 'phone line.

3) An USB Modem you buy should be "Bus Powered" i.e. you do not need to plug it into the main electricity supply - when you plug it into the USB Port on your Computer, it gets power from there too.

Patrick

You don't need a phone line, it uses the mobile phone network.

Gary's being a bit short today, but that doesn't invalidate his point.

--I don't know what type of USB modem you'll be getting, but if it doesn't have a dialer programme on the driver disk, than you can set up Windows/Linux to take advantage of built in dialers.

--You'll need to get a SIM card and a package from AIS/DTAC/True/CAT. Going CAT is the best, if available, since it's fastest.

--If you do get a USB modem, look for one with an external antenna. If you're on the edge of recpetion range the signal will downgrade itself and you won't get as good of speeds as possible (for instance, EDGE as offered in LOS is ~236 kb/s, however it could downgrade itself to 9.6-60 kb/s if it needs to fall back onto GPRS). An external antenna allows a better chance at reception.

I did not see the OP's earlier Post and thus did not fully understand that he was intending to use a Mobile connection.

People like "Gary" who would rather spend a few moments Posting an unhelpful, insulting and deliberately demeaning response, rather than taking those same few moments trying to help - well .....

No, I'll not waste my time .... ummmmm ..... responding.

Patrick

I did not see the OP's earlier Post and thus did not fully understand that he was intending to use a Mobile connection.

People like "Gary" who would rather spend a few moments Posting an unhelpful, insulting and deliberately demeaning response, rather than taking those same few moments trying to help - well .....

No, I'll not waste my time .... ummmmm ..... responding.

Patrick

but you did just respond LOL