Falang Factory Chickens Molting

I have 20 Rhode Island Red hens that have been consistently giving me 100% egg production for the last 1.5 yrs and recently the production and size of eggs has dropped to 50%. I know it's normal for chickens to molt.....loosing feathrs and take a break from laying. In cold climates, it's usually during the winter {?}.....but here we are in the tropics and maybe the same rules don't apply here??

Have heard that egg factories just butcher the chickens when they slow production, but they have become part of the family and don't really want to kill them.....unless the molt goes for long time.

Anyone know how long my RIR chickens will molt here?? and can I cut down on feed while molting?? I figure they now cost me 30thb/day to feed.....not bad when I was getting 100%, but at 50%.....I'm loosing.

appreciate input.....

Jaideeguy

I am no expert on chickens (other than the dozen or so we have running round the yard) but from what little I can tell you, I think their prime is over. Rhodes are kept productive (commercialy) by constantly increasing the protein content of their diet and altering the day/night light ratio of the enclosed barns they are kept in. However, once they reach a max productivity point, they then fall sharply - from which point theres no coming back.

If they're "family pets" hang on to them, why not - they'll keep the bugs and other insects around the house under control (very good at that if left to scamper around the garden), but if you're weighing up egg production against what it costs to feed them, I'm afraid it has to be "off-with their heads" - they'll make a nice Sunday roast! - you're not going to get that high egg production rate back.

I'm no expert either and the only chickens I have been able to get here are the "village" variety. Mine all went into the pot when the laying stopped - not mine as I'm vegetarian, though not sentimental!

What I wanted to ask you was where you bought the birds?? I have had no luck trying to locate decent layers.

I don't know what to call myself...expert or experienced. :)

Back then the commercial pratice was to standby the next batch when they fall to 50%, sell them off before the next batch arrive.

Sold mine for 30 THB per kg back then (each weights about 1.4-1.6 kg), top up the rest for a new one for 107 THB for a new bird.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=249638&view=findpost&p=2821281

we had three henriettas (the white/red layers used in israeli laying houses- henrietta is not their breed, but their name:) ) and yep, production goes down, the pot is put on the fire; however mine continued to sporadically lay for an other year so they stuck around before becoming a carnivore's meal; MF is absolutely correct: we use different feeds for different seasons, a laying chicken has no clue that is is winter, summer or nothing-- she is made to lay by daylite lights that are programmed per age of young chick, young layer, older layer. and the food is as well...

meat chickens are raised with the same idea: light and feed artificially controlled..

bina

I figured that was the case, but was hoping they would return to a little more production. they are caged in a large yard, but will cut their falang rations and let them free in the afternoon to scratch fend more for themselves and will slowly replace the expensive nutrina laying mash with rice bran and try to turn them into native chickens.

Where to replace them??? I asked at the feed shop about replacements and they said that because of high feed costs, they have cut down on chick raising and it may be months before any available.

Edited by jaideeguy