Stepson Going To Uk

Hi Everyone,

My partner{Thai} and I have been together 2 years and were happy me working In the Uk and travelling over every 3 months.However we had a baby girl In January and have decided she will come and live In the Uk with me.

List of things to do:

Get Married

Register birth of my daughter with Uk embassy and apply for British passport

Apply for settlement visa

I have a stepson 4 yrs old and his natural father has not supported or visited him will we have a problem getting him back to the UK?

What will I have to do for him?

My partner wants to change their names to my surname.

They all have Thai passports at present.

Any advice appreciated and especially from scouse as I'm a Chelsea fan.

Thanks In advance.

Hi Murdy,

Before I give any advice you have to promise that when the kids get their visas you will buy them both a Liverpool kit, take them to Anfield and have their photo taken at the Kop end. This will then be published on Thaivisa in order to prove that you've repented your sins and that the children have been baptised in the true faith. Deal?

Right, now we've got that one sorted.....

You're correct in saying that you have to be married in order for your daughter to be recognised as British. The embassy has a comprehensive guide on its website which can be found here. Once you've obtained a British passport for her she will, obviously, not require a visa to travel to the UK.

With regard to your step-son, he will require a visa and on the assumption that it is a settlement visa for which you'll be applying, you will need to show that you can take care of him without claiming benefits and that you have somewhere to live. You will also need to show that his father has had no hand in his upbringing and that this has been your wife's responsibility. If you can show that you/your wife has financially and emotionally taken care of the step-son, then so much the better. There follows the relevant paragraph of the immigration rules:-

Requirements for limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom with a view to settlement as the child of a parent or parents given limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom with a view to settlement.

301. The requirements to be met by a person seeking limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom with a view to settlement as the child of a parent or parents given limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom with a view to settlement are that he:

(i) is seeking leave to enter to accompany or join or remain with a parent or parents in one of the following circumstances:

(a) one parent is present and settled in the United Kingdom or being admitted on the same occasion for settlement and the other parent is being or has been given limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom with a view to settlement; or

(:o one parent is being or has been given limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom with a view to settlement and has had sole responsibility for the child's upbringing; or

© one parent is being or has been given limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom with a view to settlement and there are serious and compelling family or other considerations which make exclusion of the child undesirable and suitable arrangements have been made for the child's care; and

(ii) is under the age of 18; and

(iii) is not leading an independent life, is unmarried, and has not formed an independent family unit; and

(iv) can, and will, be accommodated adequately without recourse to public funds, in accommodation which the parent or parents own or occupy exclusively; and

(iva) can, and will, be maintained adequately by the parent or parents without recourse to public funds

However, you don't make it clear whether your wife-to-be is going to join you, too. If she is to remain in Thailand then your step-son would not immediately qualify for a settlement visa because at least 1 parent has to be accompanying him. In this case you would have to seek to adopt him and then apply for a visa on the basis of being the adoptive father.

That's about it in general terms.

Best of luck,

Scouse.

Hi Murdy,

Having re-read your post I think you're saying the entire family is coming over? On that basis, your daughter will be British, so no problem and your then-wife and step-son will need settlement visas at £260 each. Apply for them at the same time and you should get the same interview date for both. What you will need to do for your step-son is detailed above. With regard to your wife you will need to show that you are married, that you intend to live together and that you can take care of her etc. You should submit 6 months' worth of bank statements, 3 months' worth of wage slips and evidence that you can house her (obviously, only 1 lot of evidence needs to be submitted for both your wife's and step-son's applications). Also provide evidence of your relationship, although the best proof of this is the existence of your daughter!

Sorry for the rushed response but I've got to go and get the missus from college.

Scouse.

Thanks Scouse but I'm Scottish and Dalglish,Souness and Hansen have repaid the debt on my behalf already but I did buy a Liverpool kit for my Brother in law as he's Liverpool crazy and beyond help.

So In order get married register birth and apply for british passport.

Get my wife to change names of her and son, Is it possible to do this in Bangkok or does it have to be local?

Finally apply for settlement visa and be the new big spuds for 3 months and if he's reading well done i'm really pleased for you.

I read on one forum the fee has gone to £500 but if my son goes on the form at the same time only one fee is required.

Can you confirm or have you heard anything?

I understand all the supporting stuff I'll need to show genuine relationship etc but Is their a set amount of savings you need?

Thanks again. :o

Hi Murdy,

A name change is not absolutely necessary but if you wish to do this I believe it can be done at the amphur when you get hitched, although someone may know better.

The £500 fee relates to applications to the Home Office from within the UK. As of yet, visa fees have not changed and the cost is per application. (It's unlike a Scot to worry about the price of something :o ).

There is no required level of savings. You just have to show that you have sufficient funds at your disposal to support your wife and children without having to claim public funds. Generally speaking, if you're employed with a regular wage coming in that will be OK.

Cheers,

Scouse.