Thailand To Jail Foreigners At Political Rallies

george

So, what happened to basic human rights and freedom of expression?

so using this train of thought rainman, an internet forums (any internet forum) which has rules and regulatins (as most of them do) and often these rules prohibit in one form or another what can and cannot be expressed, they are in your words breaching basic human rights to freedom of expression?

thats what the government is doing by telling a certain group of people where they can and cannot be etc.??

nb: sorry my posts are out tonight because i keep having drop outs. :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true. Let me also say that I personally don't support sending foreign workers to protest for the employers' cause. But I do support foreigners that want to protest out of their own free will. It is their choice. You have Muslims protesting against the government in the Netherlands and France right now against the head-scarf ban. These countries don't just go and threaten to arrest them because they're protesting. Why don't they? Because they know what human rights are. The current Thai government sadly doesn't, or doesn't give a poop. Thailand is slowly but surely joining Iran, Myanmar and North Korea with their human rights record.

(relevant sentence changed to bold type ...)

Rainman, are you suggesting that no Muslims are citizens of these countries?

At the lower end of the spectrum, but I think still relevant:

In Melbourne last year a group of about 100 Indian students brought traffic to a standstill in the middle of the city during peak hour by sitting in the middle of a major intersection. I forget what their gripe was about but remember is was a basically valid one. Now, I am assuming that most of these students would have and 1 or 2 year visas just for study. But it was accepted that were allowed to protest for a valid cause. They were eventually dragged off by police after 3-4 hours, but weren't charged with anything.

I think in most western countries, this inconvenience would be tolerated, maybe not by everyone, but by the police at least, until they started causing damage or threatening peoples safety. Once they start doing that, then they will probably get deported.

The expectation here is of violence (as threatened by several of the red leaders) which basically means if a foreigner is involved their visas will be cancelled and they will be deported.

And as I said in earlier post, the high probability of an employer here sending all their foreigner workers to protest basically without a choice means the government needs to stop that from happening.

The Indians were protesting about a number of attacks made on Indian students, and the police calling them "soft targets". It was a valid protest about something directly affecting them. Had they, say, gone along to the Cronulla riots (a bit of a heavy example I admit, but I can't think of any anti government demonstrations in Australia that are comparable to the red shirts ones here) and used them as a platform to protest about the same attacks they would no doubt have been arrested along with all the others caught.

Governments constantly make laws that infringe your "rights" for your own, supposed in some cases, safety. Laws like wear a seatbelt, wear a helmet, drive on the left, don't take drugs, don't kill yourself, all infringe at least one of your rights. Not allowing migrant workers to join the demonstrations because of the very real chance they will be used by the organisers is another example of the same. By coming out and saying this now they are also preempting any judgement on them by a foreign country should one of its citizens decide to join the protest and get injured or worse. They warned them not to go, to the point of making it illegal. Anyone still doing so not only risks having violence done to them, they also risk being deported. It can be made no clearer than that.

Bad news.....I had already purchased my bozo the clown outfit for this friday :D

i know just bought a red liverpool top. think had better put that back in the cupbaord

:) After last nites result i would put in the bin..... :D

There are already going to be thousands of white and East Asian foreigners in and the general vicinity of the rally. Or have people forgotten where these are held? This is to stop the forcing of Burmese factory workers going to the rallies and being used as cannon fodder by the reds. Thai factory workers of course will still be vulnerable to this tactic unfortunately.

In chaotic situations, innocent people will get hurt. However, the typical red shirt protester is usually fairly easy to identify with their dress and manner.

Jingthing why do you stereotype people? Does it help your cause?

Let it be known that I am a young, educated left-wing leaning Westerner, and I will be supporting the red shirts at their rallies on the weekend.

I do not support Thaksin Shinawatra, but I am vehemently opposed to military rule and double standards of the law.

I know for a fact that there will be soldiers dressed in civilian clothing and blue-shirts dressed as reds with orders to create reasons for the Thai army to open up on the crowds (which they have similar orders to do- they will be taking live ammunition with them to the protests). And I recognise that the Abhisit government and the Council which backs it has no intention to allow free and fair elections to take place ever again (unless they are made to.)

I am not being paid to attend this event, nor is there any likelihood of receiving any benefit or recognition for doing so (as I don't particularly want to make myself a walking target.) If for no other reason, I will be attending to let the Thai people know that they are not alone, to bear witness to what is coming, and to decrease the likelihood of a massacre of these poor, defenceless and disenfranchised people ala Thammasat (v1 and 2) and the 1992 incident.

Voltaire once said that "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." If anyone truly believes in this statement, and wishes to avoid blood on the streets of Bangkok in 2010, then I suggest you join me.

Did anyone say anything about mistreatment? Did anyone say anything about being abused? No (Gotta love your tactics!)

I was trying to make it simple for you to understand, it's not a tactic.

And threatening to arrest foreigners for protesting is actually an abuse of human rights, but I wouldn't expect you to know that, so I forgive you.

ummm no it isn't. They are stating that this is a consequence of doing something that they are not allowed to do. Warning someone of a consequence for their actions is not a threat. It is information about government policy.

Your previous post asks why they are not abridging the rights of citizens when in fact the government has that right as well in a situation where they deem it to be against the law. The fact that they have not outright stopped the rally shows that they are trying to not abridge the citizen's right to peaceful protest. The roadblocks etc to check for weapons is certainly understandable when you have heard the recent threats and hatemongering from the reds all over. You only have to go so far as Youtube for it, but in my case I only have to open my window to hear it when the reds call for citizens to gather with weapons.

Right now the reds get to try and accumulate 1 million protesters and march on Bangkok. The government has the duty to the citizens (the citizens of BKK AND the citizens going along with the red crowd) to protect them from violent extremists from any direction including inside the red mob and outside of it. The government knows it will very likely lose politically if violence is allowed to happen. The government doesn't want armed confrontation between a mob and the army. The government certainly doesn't want a repeat of Songkran last year even though in that situation it could be a political win for the government. (The government only loses politically if the army has to fire into a crowd where evryone is not armed, but then again we are ALL diminished if that happens!)

Let it be known that I am a young, educated left-wing leaning Westerner, and I will be supporting the red shirts at their rallies on the weekend.

I do not support Thaksin Shinawatra, but I am vehemently opposed to military rule and double standards of the law.

I know for a fact that there will be soldiers dressed in civilian clothing and blue-shirts dressed as reds with orders to create reasons for the Thai army to open up on the crowds (which they have similar orders to do- they will be taking live ammunition with them to the protests). And I recognise that the Abhisit government and the Council which backs it has no intention to allow free and fair elections to take place ever again (unless they are made to.)

I am not being paid to attend this event, nor is there any likelihood of receiving any benefit or recognition for doing so (as I don't particularly want to make myself a walking target.) If for no other reason, I will be attending to let the Thai people know that they are not alone, to bear witness to what is coming, and to decrease the likelihood of a massacre of these poor, defenceless and disenfranchised people ala Thammasat (v1 and 2) and the 1992 incident.

Voltaire once said that "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." If anyone truly believes in this statement, and wishes to avoid blood on the streets of Bangkok in 2010, then I suggest you join me.

I was thinking of going to take some pictures but now I am seriously put off!

Albert Einstien had the perfect quote for that post

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

You claim to "know for a fact" something which you presumably cannot prove and you make an outrageous claim about the "Abhisit government" never allowing elections again AND there being a "Council" which backs that government.

For you to make such outrageous claims and then claim to be willingly walking into a situation that you state will end in the army firing into the crowds with live ammunition proves the Einstein quote.

I would love to see you prove your three major claims though!

In a country where I have to report my status every 90 days, beside the fact of holding a valid 1 year visa and paying a nice amount of taxes each year, I dont even want to be bothered to go to those Mass Rallies and protest against whatever they, the Red Shirts, protest against (Surpreme Court etc etc.) In a country where "protesters" throw feces in to the PM's House / Residence pretty much sums up most people opinion about these protesters.

The severe drought around the corner is nothing compared to what is planed, allowed and not allowed for the upcoming days. It is time to concentrate on more important issues than migrants showing up to the rallies. Not sure if the American Engineer, Burmese Contruction worker, Philippino Nanny, German Manager, Scottish Teacher or Australian Pub Owner had any strong interest in going there.

This Topic actually deserves a poll on whether some one even had an interest to participate, attend, watch or "show up" at these rallies.

well yeah but I think it is probably aimed at poorer migrant workers from burma, laos or where ever who might be lured by alleged  payments per day - you might have missed the point...

First, let me stop laughing ...

This isn't a march for the poor, it's a march for Thaksin.

IF the protests are successful and brings down the Abhisit government, will you also join the protests to get rid of Thaksin ... because he will be back here and he will have all his money and he will probably be PM ... or Pres....

I can just imagine soldiers in civvies throwing rocks at the soldiers in uniform yelling "shoot me, shoot me". There will probably be some blue shirts around causing trouble, but the reds will try and use all the excuses under the sun saying that they were forced to burn buses and damage banks.

Why do you think that Abhisit would never allow elections again? Mind you if that did happen, I would think that most of the anti-reds would become anti-Abhisit (but not pro-red).

My last question: where did you get brain washed?

well have a good time being arrested

There is one word in the OP which speaks VOLUMES. I am still a bit confused about the rules. I think reading the word in the OP is okay right?, but I better not repeat it or mention it? Is it okay to say it the word at end of sentence 5? [starts with 'p']

It has been widely speculated that the Red shirt plans include a major restructuring of the architecture of Thai governance.

Sentence 5 can be seen as a public declaration of this 'intention'.

I, for one, do NOT see a Republic as the ship to steer Thailand into the future, though it might be a slight improvement on the past and present and future unstable, status quo structure.

It's like having to choose between 2 very over priced, beat up cars, a Chevy Vega or Ford Pinto.

Compared;; The Joseph Solution is like a brand new BMW hidden in the garage and Uncle Joseph would let Thailand have it for free but they having too much *FUN to listen.

[i have come to the conclusion, not withstanding all of the history, socio economic issues (it wasn't that long ago there was slavery), there is another untalked about root cause for Thailand's tumultous past present and future: that is a *culture of enurement. This crap is all they have ever known. It's built right into their tv soaps for cripe's sake.

How can I explain? It's sort of like the police who show up when the married couple are attempting to kill each other. The couple often turns on the police, the ruiners of their marital FUN.]

You could hand Thailand a Solution, The Joseph Solution, which would be acceptable to masses, the elite and the p*****e, [yes it WOULD be, 100% true] and you would get, but what would then do for FUN?]

Let's see?? how about improving education and and cleaning up the garbage dump, you know which garbage dump I'm talking about, yards and county lanes everywhere you ago, plus breathing burning plastic while paying Western rates in hotels!]

Edited by eggomaniac

They can't jail me, I'm a vagrant, not a migrant! :D

Here we go again - double standards!

Dutchiethai, where did you get that video of my misses. :D:D Well it's a lot better than some of the s**t I have read on here. :)

Assuming this is not flame bait;

Some unsolicited advice- Let the very capable Thai people take their own destiny and government in their hands. No need for an imagined 'farang force field' to protect them. Relax, jai yen, chill out, take a break. You're a wonderful altruist willing to put yourself on the line - but keep it there for a minute. Sit this one out and review after time. Thais are not helpless and we are not their saviors, just their guests.

You may or may not have some valid inside baseball info. But there is a Thai chess game going on. Your 'source' may have info, or may be getting played. If a Thai wants to deceive you, don't think you're immune. As the years go by, the expat cynics prove to be wiser than I was at the time.

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." - Twain

It's their pool we're swimming in, don't pee in it. -ding

I am an older, educated, left wing westerner, and I think the red shirts are being sold a bill of goods by Thaksin, a populist in the tradition of Peron, Chavez, and Marcos, now apparently flirting with Chairman Mao. If you get arrested, you have been warned. I feel you are no hero but yet another dupe of the red shirt propaganda machine, if you actually believe this is about democracy.

Edited by Jingthing

So, what happened to basic human rights and freedom of expression?

You are free to exercise those rights in your own country rainman.....how hard is that to understand?

The whole point of human rights is that they're universal. They're basic rights that should apply to everyone no matter where you are or where you're from. How hard is that to understand?

:) I fail to see where participation in a political battle in a country where you are not able to vote is a "basic human right".

Not all that long ago, blacks & women could not vote.... I guess we should have just jailed them all for 5 years?

Firstly, know that Thailand is leakier than a rusty bucket- and even people in high places talk. If you would walk out of your seedy clubs or dingy offices and rubbed your eyes and opened your ears, you would be amazed at what you might find out about this little place we call our temporary home.

Secondly, spare me your cowardice and your faux-common sense. It used to disgust me that people like yourselves, who benefited from (sadly wasted) Western educations, good social welfare systems and all the democracy and human rights that comes with your Western upbringings could be so smug in your justifications and tolerance for what is nothing less than a big, fat, black military dictatorship. But then I remember running into people like you at home, where your moral compasses were already non-existent, where you yearned for a place where people looked up to you, served you, had sex with you and would actually thank you for it afterward. A place where you were rich. A place where you were SOMEBODY.

It is obvious, gentlemen, that we are here for entirely different reasons. I am a political scientist who is about to bear witness to either the biggest success or tragedy in the history of the struggle for Thai democracy. And you are here as long as the alcohol is cheap, the women are easy and you feel like you are more important or successful here than you ever have been back home.

Thirdly, know that if the red shirts succeeded in toppling the government, I would hold them to their promise of restoring democracy, and would soon be working against them if they failed to do so. The funny thing is, if you were in my position I know you wouldn't do the same- because though you claim to oppose Thaksin for all the wrong things in this country, you are all too happy to sit back on your behinds and cheer on as the next dictators come along and take a dump in the mouths of anyone who opens them to ask for their vote back.

Firstly, know that Thailand is leakier than a rusty bucket- and even people in high places talk. If you would walk out of your seedy clubs or dingy offices and rubbed your eyes and opened your ears, you would be amazed at what you might find out about this little place we call our temporary home.

Secondly, spare me your cowardice and your faux-common sense. It used to disgust me that people like yourselves, who benefited from (sadly wasted) Western educations, good social welfare systems and all the democracy and human rights that comes with your Western upbringings could be so smug in your justifications and tolerance for what is nothing less than a big, fat, black military dictatorship. But then I remember running into people like you at home, where your moral compasses were already non-existent, where you yearned for a place where people looked up to you, served you, had sex with you and would actually thank you for it afterward. A place where you were rich. A place where you were SOMEBODY.

It is obvious, gentlemen, that we are here for entirely different reasons. I am a political scientist who is about to bear witness to either the biggest success or tragedy in the history of the struggle for Thai democracy. And you are here as long as the alcohol is cheap, the women are easy and you feel like you are more important or successful here than you ever have been back home.

Thirdly, know that if the red shirts succeeded in toppling the government, I would hold them to their promise of restoring democracy, and would soon be working against them if they failed to do so. The funny thing is, if you were in my position I know you wouldn't do the same- because though you claim to oppose Thaksin for all the wrong things in this country, you are all too happy to sit back on your behinds and cheer on as the next dictators come along and take a dump in the mouths of anyone who opens them to ask for their vote back.

The current setup possibly, maybe, could be a military dictatorship (with a democratically elected leader). But all you are doing is suggesting it get replaced with a civilian dictatorship.

Well ya got me pegged wrong! Good luck, my advice was worth what you paid for it, it seems. You're altruism is being played bro. Wake up.

Poor defenseless people? I guess you arrived after April of last year. Poor defenseless people do not set buses aflamae and send them careening into crowds and petrol stations. They do not throw rocks and bottles at firemen. That's what I saw last April. Sorry, I just don't understand how is showing up to show support for a group whose leaders have espoused violence as a means to an end going to "avoid blood on the streets". They may be disenfranchised, but please enlighten us as to the Red plan for un-dis-enfranchising them. We will know in a week whether the Reds keep their promise to be peaceful this time. I hope this thing comes off peacefully, but after seeing first hand the Red tactics last year, I think the only hope for non-violence is a lack of support.

And like it or not, by showing up to support the Reds you are supporting Thaksin. The Red agenda is to bring him back and put him back in power. Nothing more, nothing less. There obviously are some well-intentioned but mis-guided and gullible folks out there who believe that the Red movement is about "democracy". Which Red leaders have outlined a plan for life after Abhisit? They are stating they want to bring down the government- then what? A pro-red coup? Elections? Who will oversee the election? Who will certify the results? Anarchy is not the answer to Thailand's political situation.

I wasn't referring to you, Ding- nor anyone else that can put their personal hatred of Thaksin aside for this one shot at a better future.

First things first- the people need their vote and their constitution back. Second thing- the military and the Council need to get the hel_l out of politics.

After that, the people of Thailand will decide.

EDIT: Netfan, the UDD isn't a political party. It has 6 principles and works toward the realisation of only those 6 principles. After democracy has been restored, it will be up to the political process and the people of Thailand to decide their own fate, as they would were they citizens of any other democratic country.

Edited by johncitizen

:) I fail to see where participation in a political battle in a country where you are not able to vote is a "basic human right".

Not all that long ago, blacks & women could not vote.... I guess we should have just jailed them all for 5 years?

Huh? When were blacks and women not allowed to vote in Thailand?

But when the migrant workers become citizens of Thailand they will be allowed to vote too!

Not the brightest statement made today but hey, with johncitizen here claiming "inside knowledge" about The Democrats never allowing elections again, and the military PLANNING on opening fire into crowds (and saying he will be in those crowds) at least you won't be the dumbest poster on today!