The Best British Tv Ever

churchill

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can not believe they left out Only Fools and Horses. This is just one link, but there are loads at You Tube.

Trigger - "Why does everyone call you Rodney Dave"

Rodney - "Because it's my name Trig"

fawlty towers, "dont mention the war"

only fools and horses. that could have blinded me rodney. and the one were he falls arse over tit, when trying to lean up against the bar.

black adder

Edited by tigerfish

I can not believe they left out Only Fools and Horses. This is just one link, but there are loads at You Tube.

Trigger - "Why does everyone call you Rodney Dave"

Rodney - "Because it's my name Trig"

Trigger and his broom sticks out for me

Shug

Only fools and horses - The Chandalier scene

Grandad: "I wish you said Del Boy, I was working on the other one! .... LMFAO!!!!

Minder the first episodes with Terry, priceless.

The Prisoner. :)

Edited by 101734

Jesus, nothing sums up the naffness of expat thailand quite so succinctly as Only bloody Fools and bloody Horses - with the possible exception of Hotel California.

Anyone who's been to Crazy Dave's in Pattaya will understand. How I pity the staff.

Some utter gash in that list...

I wouldn't expect anything less of an answer from someone like yourself who spent years in the "UK justice system".

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that your type are as about as dull as watching paint dry.

OFAH was and still is a national treasure, many many years of laughter and entertainment for all the family.

I pity you, honestly I do.

Edited by 101734

I am with 101734.

Only Fools is harmless English humour. It has cheered me up already watching 'the broom' sketch again.

Del Boy falling through the bar is still funny, as are many of the Two Ronnies sketches.

.... and don't forget drama - loads to choose from there.

Edited by Chaimai

Jesus, nothing sums up the naffness of expat thailand quite so succinctly as Only bloody Fools and bloody Horses - with the possible exception of Hotel California.

Anyone who's been to Crazy Dave's in Pattaya will understand. How I pity the staff.

I wouldn't expect anything less of an answer from someone like yourself who spent years in the "UK justice system".

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that your type are as about as dull as watching paint dry.

OFAH was and still is a national treasure, many many years of laughter and entertainment for all the family.

:):D

ps Trigg, I was working within the UK justice system. Working.

Slopping out?

I am with 101734.

Only Fools is harmless English humour. It has cheered me up already watching 'the broom' sketch again.

Del Boy falling through the bar is still funny, as are many of the Two Ronnies sketches.

.... and don't forget drama - loads to choose from there.

It may be harmless English humour, but it's been done to death. Enough already. It's hyped incessantly by the likes of the Currant Bun and repeated endlessly. It's actually pretty poor when compared to modern, innovative, comedies like The Office, Extras, Peep Show etc. Chandeliers dropping through ceilings or some bloke falling over may have been funny a century ago, but aren't now.

Slopping out?

Ah, Porridge. Now there's a sitcom!

Chandeliers dropping through ceilings or some bloke falling over may have been funny a century ago, but aren't now.

Tell that to a Thai - they p!ss themselves at that one.

People will still be laughing at Morecombe & Wise (albeit a bit dated now), Hancock, Only Fools, The 2 Ronnies, Porridge, Open All Hours - maybe even Benny Hill, long after David Brent is forgotten.

(The Invention of Lying was predictable and dull as dish water - Jervais is normally funny though).

What about the Fast Show ?

Chandeliers dropping through ceilings or some bloke falling over may have been funny a century ago, but aren't now.

People will still be laughing at Morecombe & Wise (albeit a bit dated now), Hancock, Only Fools, The 2 Ronnies, Porridge, Open All Hours - maybe even Benny Hill, long after David Brent is forgotten.

(The Invention of Lying was predictable and dull as dish water - Jervais is normally funny though).

The Fast Show? It was ok, had its place, but is no great work of art. I've always liked Paul Whitehouse, however. The genius of Gervais is how he killed catchphrase comedy dead. You are very much wrong about who history will be kind to. Brent changed comedy forever; like the Goons, then Python. It is the influence that is impressive, not necessarily the quality of the comedy itself.

Two other shows that i loved that haven't been mentioned are

• Black Books
  • The Khumers at No 42

Plus most of the others previously mentioned.

Black Books is being repeated on Dave as we speak. It's horribly dated already. Graham Lineham is an ok writer, but all his shows - Father Ted, BB, IT Crowd etc, are essentially the same, just with different settings. The daddies are Coogan, Iannucci, Gervais and Chris Morris. Their shows shape comedy.

. It is the influence that is impressive, not necessarily the quality of the comedy itself.

Not when you are watching to be entertained it isn't.

Time and retrospect is the judge of influence and relative stature.

David Jason did not become a legend overnight. Hancock and Cooper were most appreciated after their deaths. Gervais has some to go to find his place in the Hall of Fame - I am pretty sure he will get there.

I also accept that many entertainers have their time - Peter Kay was high up on my list, but faded.

In the late 1980's Bros were "No1" in every 'Best 100 songs of all time' - I doubt they would feature in many people's Top 500 now.

Amazing thing about Fawlty Towers was how few episodes were made. It was worth watching just for the opening shot of the sign. How did Flowery <deleted> get past the censors? :)

FT is still the yardstick all other comedies are compared to, and rightly so. It is worth noting no one in the audience laughed when it was first made.

. It is the influence that is impressive, not necessarily the quality of the comedy itself.

Not when you are watching to be entertained it isn't.

Time and retrospect is the judge of influence and relative stature.

David Jason did not become a legend overnight. Hancock and Cooper were most appreciated after their deaths. Gervais has some to go to find his place in the Hall of Fame - I am pretty sure he will get there.

I also accept that many entertainers have their time - Peter Kay was high up on my list, but faded.

In the late 1980's Bros were "No1" in every 'Best 100 songs of all time' - I doubt they would feature in many people's Top 500 now.

Luke Goss's attempt at drumming is up there with some of the funniest things I've ever seen...

You answer you're own proposition in terms of influence versus entertainment.

Peter Kay's a good comparator - he made nice, safe, warm-feeling shows, but he essentially regurgitated existing formats. Shows that are genuinely innovative and influential are the ones that stand the test of time. Frankly, Kay's a bit of a joke.

ah hmm oh, suits you sir!