Suvarnabhumi Airport Prepares Protest Contingency Plan

webfact

Thai airport prepares protest contingency plan

by Rachel O'Brien

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's main airport, which was besieged by protesters in 2008, said Wednesday it had made contingency plans for protests this weekend, as ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra rallied supporters by text message.

Suvarnabhumi Airport said the plans were to deal with travel disruption or a possible blockade from March 11-23, the period when a special security law is in place to counter protests by backers of the deposed prime minister.

"There are concerns that travelling plans of passengers may be disrupted," a statement from the airport said, advising international travellers to check in three to four hours before flying.

The airport's general manager, Nirandra Theeranartsin, said there was also a contingency plan in case the so-called "Red Shirt" protesters tried to seize the facility, as rival anti-Thaksin "Yellow Shirts" did in late 2008.

Then the capital's two airports were closed for nine days as protesters staged a sit-in to force Thaksin's allies from government, causing huge economic damage and badly denting Thailand's tourist-friendly image.

This weekend's protests come just over two weeks after Thailand's top court confiscated 1.4 billion dollars of Thaksin's assets, which were frozen after the 2006 coup that toppled him from power.

"On (March) 14, come and gather to bring back our lost democracy and justice for future Thai generations," the twice-elected tycoon told subscribers to his text messaging service on Wednesday.

Thaksin, who made his fortune in telecommunications, has also been egging on his supporters via videolink and his Twitter page from his self-imposed exile in Dubai, where he is living to avoid a jail term for graft.

The Red Shirts say they expect up to 600,000 people to attend the main rally on Sunday but the government estimates that around 100,000 will turn up.

The government is invoking a tough internal security act that allows it to call out troops, impose curfews and ban gatherings. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva warned Wednesday there could be "sabotage".

But the Reds' leaders have said theirs will be a non-violent protest and that they will not occupy public or private buildings, including Suvarnabhumi or the mainly domestic Don Mueang airport.

"The government is trying to create fear by repeatedly saying there will be bombs here and there. It is in order to terrify protesters who may then be reluctant to come," Nattawut Saikuar said.

The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) said it too had prepared measures to ensure that trading was not affected between March 12 and 15.

"SET has set up a special team to constantly monitor the situation as well as set up security measures for the SET building, its employees and the necessary infrastructure to ensure that trading and other significant systems will not be affected if the situation deteriorates," SET President Patareeya Benjapolchai said in a statement.

Thailand's central bank Wednesday kept its key interest rate unchanged at 1.25 percent, citing the country's political instability, including the protests this weekend.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-10

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

IMPORTANT INFO FOR FOREIGNERS LIVING IN THAILAND

As an expat you are advised to follow the developing news for your security!

Follow the Breaking News updates via Thaivisa:

- Breaking News via SMS text messages to your mobile phone or

handheld device

To subscribe dial *424010011 on AIS, One-2-Call, DTAC or True Move networks

14 days complementary subscription for Thaivisa members.

If you have questions about the Breaking News SMS service, email

[email protected]

OR follow us:

- Via Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/farang

- Via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/georgebkk

I wonder why there isn't the same kind of urgency in bringing the yellow shirt leaders to court and jail.

They held the government building hostage for several weeks and the 2 airports for over a week, yet they're still running around free. While at the same time a red shirt that threw a bag of poop into Abhisit's residence was convicted to 10 days in jail ...on the same day!

Edited by rainman

I wonder why there isn't the same kind of urgency in bringing the yellow shirt leaders to court and jail.

They held the government building hostage for several weeks and the 2 airports for over a week, yet they're still running around free. While at the same time a red shirt that threw a bag of poop into Abhisit's residence was convicted to 10 days in jail ...on the same day!

You must be joking right?

I don't support either side. Lunatics one and all. However, your point is extremely valid in a world where fairness rules. Sadly, no such moral high standards are applied to the law here. Law is used simply to satisfy the needs of those who can afford to abuse it or get away with it.

There are an awful lot of people who need locking up ... perhaps Sri Thanya Hospital would be more appropriate for many.

I don't support either side. Lunatics one and all. However, your point is extremely valid in a world where fairness rules. Sadly, no such moral high standards are applied to the law here. Law is used simply to satisfy the needs of those who can afford to abuse it or get away with it.

There are an awful lot of people who need locking up ... perhaps Sri Thanya Hospital would be more appropriate for many.

Double standard.

I don't think so.

Double standard.

Absolutely.

So you are saying that because you see the courts as slow in indicting nine yellow shirt leaders (the case has not been dismissed btw), they shouldn't do anything to protect the airport? Just go right along as if nothing is going to happen? Those "million" folks coming into Bangkok aren't going to have any impact on the operation of the airport? And what if a few "hotheads" do decide to head over to the airport? Better if there are no plans and lives are put at stake? I give them credit for being prepared, something the little ineffectual brother in law wasn't when it was his job to protect the airport. It was his government that let the yellows walk right in.

Edited by Netfan

So you are saying that because you see the courts as slow in indicting nine yellow shirt leaders (the case has not been dismissed btw), they shouldn't do anything to protect the airport? Just go right along as if nothing is going to happen? Those "million" folks coming into Bangkok aren't going to have any impact on the operation of the airport? And what if a few "hotheads" do decide to head over to the airport? Better if there are no plans and lives are put at stake?

No, what I'm trying to say is, where was the army when the yellow shirts took the airports? They were doing nothing. Absolutely nothing. Of course, we all know why, but now they're suddenly read to deal with it when the red shirts might do it?

Its great that they're doing something, don't get me wrong. But they're just doing something when their own political positions are on the line, otherwise they could care less. They're not doing it for the safety of the Thai people, they're doing it for themselves.

As someone said before me, double standards.

Edited by rainman

Even though it sadly sounds like a joke, I'm not joking, no. You're new in Thailand, aren't you?

So you are saying that because you see the courts as slow in indicting nine yellow shirt leaders (the case has not been dismissed btw), they shouldn't do anything to protect the airport? Just go right along as if nothing is going to happen? Those "million" folks coming into Bangkok aren't going to have any impact on the operation of the airport? And what if a few "hotheads" do decide to head over to the airport? Better if there are no plans and lives are put at stake?

No, what I'm trying to say is, where was the army when the yellow shirts took the airports? They were doing nothing. Absolutely nothing. Of course, we all know why, but now they're suddenly read to deal with it when the red shirts might do it?

Its great that they're doing something, don't get me wrong. But they're just doing something when their own political positions are on the line, otherwise they could care less. They're not doing it for the safety of the Thai people, they're doing it for themselves.

As someone said before me, double standards.

you mean like the double standard where if I come around to your house and steal your stuff, I go to jail, but when someone else comes and steals my tax money and breaks the law multiple times, that they should be charged and threatened with going to jail (after all, theft is theft)....but then allowed to be either pardoned pre trial (attempted) or the case dismissed (attempted) or the verdict not recognised and they just run away overseas (current situation) or the constitution changed plus a specific provision made that anything they did wrong in the past no matter whether it is true or not is forgiven (current attempt).....and that this forgiveness is 'democracy' (the red shirt manifesto).

yes I think we recognise what the words double standards mean. I am also sure you appreciate how refreshing it is whenever we hear the phrase double standards in Thailand.

As for your examples.

- the faeces thrower wasn't a red shirt IIRC, he was angry about something else - and he was easily caught. he was poor also, so probably no lawyer. I think a better example is Arisaman and the other red shirt leaders who lead the lawless protests in Songkran last year. Have they been on red shirt TV since then and wandering the streets? I think so......so EXACTLY the same as your PAD example and a far better 'like for like' comparison. yet to see them apologise for their lies repeated in the house of a so called massacre but ah well, I am sure they have their reasons for lying to the Thai public repeatedly on this point

- the case against the PAD is ongoing and WILL take time....just as the case against Thaksin took time and was carefully prosecuted. And yes, they frigging should go to jail and should be made to pay

- the army had just suffered a huge loss of face when they completely failed to handle the peaceful PAD protests, that led to the PAD storming the airport. The army and police completely also failed to handle the red shirts rioting last time around in April in Pattaya and Bangkok where protests were anything but peaceful - they had no control of the situation for the first 2 days. Let's face it....they don't really know what they are doing that much.....remember how the army have rooted the situation in the south during the TRT years? THis bomb detector? You think they are experts in anything????

Its the same the world over, maybe a a bit more in LOS.

Take for instance Charlie Rangel and Timothy Geithner and MANY others in Obamas armada.

Rangel didnt report his apartment complex on his taxes because "he didnt think he had to." No jail, no nothing.

Geithner failed to pay his taxes in what amounted to felony tax evasion. He also had his filthy hands all over the mortgage debacle. Nothing happened. In fact, he was appointed as Secretary Treasurer.

These are the people designed to protect us and they are the biggest crooks out there. And yes many were crooks under Bush as well.

A quick gander below and youll not feel so unique here....

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/alexspil...s_tax_evasion_/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...3592601036.html

Even though it sadly sounds like a joke, I'm not joking, no. You're new in Thailand, aren't you?

thai golden rule, "he who has the gold makes the rule"