What Visa Route Should I Take?

A am a US Citizen married to a Thai Citizen.

I was offered a job to teach at a Thai university this summer. (Will leave in early May.)

My US salary is well into the 6 figure range. I currently have US$14,000 in a US checking account.

My Thai salary will be around 100k baht per month plus housing and travel.

Let me know if there is any other information you need.

Should I apply for a visa based on marriage or based on the visiting faculty position?

If on a visa for working, that has been extended, it ends when your employment ends. If your work ends during the validity of the original visa - it hasn't been extended, you can stay until the permission to stay date stamped in your passport.

If on an extended visa based on marriage, working or not working isn't an issue.

I'd suggest a Non O, and extend it based on your marriage.

If on a visa for working, that has been extended, it ends when your employment ends. If your work ends during the validity of the original visa - it hasn't been extended, you can stay until the permission to stay date stamped in your passport.

If on an extended visa based on marriage, working or not working isn't an issue.

I'd suggest a Non O, and extend it based on your marriage.

Oh, thank you! Fantastic idea, because we planned to stay for a while after my class ends.

Do I apply for the non-O by mail here in the US, or after I get to Thailand on a visa waiver?

Either way, I read the non-O information here and have some questions:

1. Copy of passport ( with certified true copy ) (What is a certified true copy?)

2. Marriage Certificate: (My US state certificate, is that correct?)

3. Wife’s house registration: (She owns a house, but we won't live there because the Uni is paying for a condo nearby.)

4. Personal Corporation income Tax (I have no taxes in Thailand yet. Do they want my prior years tax forms from the US?)

5. Recording interviewing the husband and wife for confirming status of husband and wife. (Are we supposed to make a recording?)

6. House’s map (What is this?)

7. Registration Company (What is this?)

8. Picture of house and family (Does this have to be one picture of us at the house? Or two separate photos? Can in be a photo of the condo we will be renting?)

Edited by moto77

My US salary is well into the 6 figure range.

thx 4 sharing

In some cases income matters when you apply for a visa. Thailand seems to require bank statements and copies of tax forms, for example. I knew that if such a requirement exists, the income limit would certainly be less than that amount, so I wrote that in order not to muddy the waters with questions related to income.

As far as you are concerned, I'm just some random guy on the internet anyway. I don't know you, we will probably never meet, and my real name is not moto, so it's a bit odd that you have an issue with this.

I was offered a job to teach at a Thai university this summer. (Will leave in early May.)
TerryLH: If on an extended visa based on marriage, working or not working isn't an issue.

Sorry, working is an issue .... what is ABOUT THE WP !?

TerryLH: If on an extended visa based on marriage, working or not working isn't an issue.

Sorry, working is an issue .... what is ABOUT THE WP !?

I think he meant that--in general--if you have a non-O visa, that you can work or not work, either way and if you do work, you can apply for a work permit with a non-O visa.