Major Figures Flee Thailand

webfact

The legal system in Thailand is based on Civil Law. Precedence is a Western concept...what are you talking about???

Thai law is bascially (Roman) code. There is no concept of legal precedent. Each case is judged by its individual merits without regard to other cases. Precedent is a concept in English Common Law which is the basis for many countries law but not Thailands

In common law a precedent can become legally binding. In practice, it means that judges can create laws. That's not the case in Civil Law (with its root in the Roman Code). But that doesn't mean that precedents are not used. Laws are not supposed to be interpreted differently at different occasions depending on who is being charged.

That is the where the main problem lies in Thailand today. The justice system has become politicized and is not independent. And to stick to the correct topic...that is why some people have to flee the country, while others can comfortably stay.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They most likely believe the goverment will arrest them if something happens, or if it doesn't, makes sense. Strange I don't recall PAD's leaders being arretsed when they occupied Goverment house and the airport. But different justice for different groups, the achilles heel of this crackdown.

Nail on head.

Suthip served 6 months in jail for leading the yellow shirts to suvarnabhum airport. Get ur facts straight.

Cowards they shall always be.

And are you living in your land of birth or have you moved to pastures greener?

Frankly, who gives a toss. Just wish this would all kick off and we can have something decent to watch on TV..

Just turn off the TV go to buy some DVD's (you should be able to get 12 or so for 1000 baht) stock up come back home and enjoy the weekend at the movies.

I haven't seen anything out of the yellow shirts in months, let alone propaganda.

Maybe you were doing a "long winter sleep" when the Yellow rats ordered several demonstrations in a local temple at the Thai-Cambodian border and haven't noticed that"

And the nationalistic propaganda against the present government and against the will of the local habitants around that temple?

Oh, silly me.....

That was YELLOWISH propagande and should not be discussed or argued about ...

Please continue your "loooong winter sleep" ........

Yes ... I did forget that. They were protesting because they believe Thailand, and not Cambodia, should own the temple. The locals didn't like the protests because they were scaring away tourists so they couldn't make money.

But is that (propaganda as it may be) relevant to the political turmoil happening now? Or the political turmoil that has happened for the last 5 years?

... maybe it is, but I don't see it.

Now who would have thunk that.......

Hopefully never to be seen again- too much to ask for I guess. :)

Brewsta

Oh, and......"Major figures flee...". Billionaire Brats Bolt country would seem to fit, just as well.

Now really..... nothing like a bit of hysteria to fan those Tabloid flames.....

we do love the un-necessary dramatics here in PlayLand, eh!

Thaksin ex, son in HK as unrest looms

Thaksin Shinawatra's former wife, Potjaman na Pombejra, and their entrepreneur son, Panthongtae Shinawatra, arrived in Hong Kong on Monday, fearing unrest at this weekend's rally in Bangkok in support of the fugitive former prime minister.

And the couple's two daughters, both students, left for Berlin yesterday, according to the Bangkok Post.

Their trips were organized amid fears of unrest at the massive rallies planned from Friday by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, the Bangkok Post said, quoting a source from the pro-Thaksin opposition Puea Thai Party.

There were also concerns members of Thaksin's immediate family might be taken hostage if the situation turned violent.

The pro-Thaksin UDD, also known as the "Red Shirts," is hoping to attract one million people to the demonstration.

Abhisit urged Thaksin supporters to rethink their strategy now that his ex-wife and children will not be in Thailand during the rally.

He said the Red Shirts should realize that while they are fighting for the interests of the Shinawatra family, they have been living in the lap of luxury and have irresponsibly left their supporters in the lurch.

The Standard

Hong Kong

Thursday, March 11, 2010

www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=17&art_id=95640&sid=27363343&con_type=1

They most likely believe the goverment will arrest them if something happens, or if it doesn't, makes sense. Strange I don't recall PAD's leaders being arretsed when they occupied Goverment house and the airport. But different justice for different groups, the achilles heel of this crackdown.

Nail on head.

Suthip served 6 months in jail for leading the yellow shirts to suvarnabhum airport. Get ur facts straight.

To really get the facts straight, can we have a reference to that?

Reports from unlinkable newspapers are also reporting that Abhisit's family is about to flee overseas as well.

EDIT: Abhisit himself will be staying under guard in a safehouse. But how safe is he really? Last Songkran, I recall a soldier wound up dead (apparently "tripped, fell and hit his head in the bathroom") in the safehouse- but still no consensus on what happened...

Edited by johncitizen

A bunch of stroppy rice farmers in rice trucks making the trip south..

Will be a long trip for these guys, who will possibly be sipping cheap Lao whisky to break up the slow 30kmph trip...

And all the while getting primed up for a fraccas..

So what happens when they finally reach these checkpoints/patrols/baracades/toll stations and are told they cant go any further :)

hope they are not really as armed and ready as we are lead to believe :D

r2588899991.jpg

Police confiscate a long cutter from a man at a checkpoint on a highway on the outskirts of Bangkok March 9, 2010.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/ph...2588899991.jpg/

Nail on head.

To really get the facts straight, can we have a reference to that?

yes please.

I see from the news this morning that they have now said that no one with a Pick up that has a Tag from outside bangkok will be allowed to bring the Pickup in. They will have to park it up somewhere they do not make that clear where it is, then they have to walk into Bangkok. Ok so lets now punish all the people who live outside Bangkok and drive into work and who have nothing to do with the Reds.

Anyone with half a brain can see that all the hard line trouble makers will have been in bangkok for a few days already getting things set up for any trouble they might want to start. They will still have some who will be traveling with the people coming into Bangkok that have been paid to get everybodys blood up ready for this weekend.

Lets just hope it is all over soon and sorted out once and for all and let thailand get back to normal or as near normal as Thailand can be. :)

Actually i think this strategy may bring on some even more frightening developments..

A bunch of stroppy rice farmers in rice trucks making the trip south..

Will be a long trip for these guys, who will possibly be sipping cheap Lao whisky to break up the slow 30kmph trip...

And all the while getting primed up for a fraccas..

So what happens when they finally reach these checkpoints/patrols/baracades/toll stations and are told they cant go any further :D

hope they are not really as armed and ready as we are lead to believe :D

Hmmmm...I don't know, if I have ever seen anybody from Northern Thailand walk for more than two blocks.

hehe..yeh ain't that the truth :D

and id nearly be as bold to suggest that the same would apply to much bigger group than just northern Thais :D

But yeh, I was more worried about trouble brewing (and maybe even bloodshed) at the points where these guys are stopped from entering BK.

As far as not being able to take the vehicles any further, if all else fails whats the bet that a certain figure will bankroll a small army of taxis and motorsai to converge on these locations and ferry the masses further into Bangkok???

Reports from unlinkable newspapers are also reporting that Abhisit's family is about to flee overseas as well.

In the blogs or paper main?

I don't see it in either.

I do note that that poster has been posting a lot of unsubstantiated information and that's probably the situation again.

Thaksin ex, son in HK as unrest looms

Thaksin Shinawatra's former wife, Potjaman na Pombejra, and their entrepreneur son, Panthongtae Shinawatra, arrived in Hong Kong on Monday, fearing unrest at this weekend's rally in Bangkok in support of the fugitive former prime minister.

And the couple's two daughters, both students, left for Berlin yesterday, according to the Bangkok Post.

Their trips were organized amid fears of unrest at the massive rallies planned from Friday by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, the Bangkok Post said, quoting a source from the pro-Thaksin opposition Puea Thai Party.

There were also concerns members of Thaksin's immediate family might be taken hostage if the situation turned violent.

The pro-Thaksin UDD, also known as the "Red Shirts," is hoping to attract one million people to the demonstration.

Abhisit urged Thaksin supporters to rethink their strategy now that his ex-wife and children will not be in Thailand during the rally.

He said the Red Shirts should realize that while they are fighting for the interests of the Shinawatra family, they have been living in the lap of luxury and have irresponsibly left their supporters in the lurch.

The Standard

Hong Kong

Thursday, March 11, 2010

www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=17&art_id=95640&sid=27363343&con_type=1

Thaksin just can't stop with the lies. The criminal fugitive wrote on Twitter yesterday that his family "...will be traveling for a hotel trade exhibition. The trip was scheduled long in advance."

Again, nothing but cowards, all of them. Let the unknowns risk their own children for his own selfish desires.

Gotta love the way the PT/UDD spin doctors fabricate nonsense about kidnapping, etc. The only people saying this of course, are the PT/UDD, with some a few of them jumping ship after creating this situation. Shameful!

I do note that that poster has been posting a lot of unsubstantiated information and that's probably the situation again.

I don't see it either. Maybe it's on Facebook, HI5, Tagged or some other social networking site.

Actually, I think I may have gotten a sentence in the Post mixed up- was talking about Abhisit and Thaksin's family in one sentence.

Sorry about that.

Thaksin just can't stop with the lies. The criminal fugitive wrote on Twitter yesterday that his family "...will be traveling for a hotel trade exhibition. The trip was scheduled long in advance."

Again, nothing but cowards, all of them. Let the unknowns risk their own children for his own selfish desires.

Gotta love the way the PT/UDD spin doctors fabricate nonsense about kidnapping, etc. The only people saying this of course, are the PT/UDD, with some a few of them jumping ship after creating this situation. Shameful!

The thing with the criminal Thaksin and his clan are that they actually no longer realise that they are lying, as they have been doing it for such a long period of time they can't distinguish between the truth and the lies. A sad, sad cowardly clan they are.

So once this is all sorted out and if the instigators are indicted for treason, as they rightfully should be, I suppose I would rather be out of the country as well.

Judging by how long it is taking to bring the yellows to court for their actions I would guess the reds have no need to rush to get out the country, oh wait, how silly of me, the yellows acted with impunity, the reds do not.

Boy, is this argument old and tired. The PAD leaders court case is in progress. How many Reds from Songkran have been sentenced? Oh, same number as from PAD airport seizure. And isn't Seh Daeng out on bail? And don't forget the lovely Mrs. T was allowed to leave the country. Who is acting with impunity?

Edited by Netfan

The thing with the criminal Thaksin and his clan are that they actually no longer realise that they are lying, as they have been doing it for such a long period of time they can't distinguish between the truth and the lies. A sad, sad cowardly clan they are.

To be fair, I believe it was the daughters that were running away to Germany for the trade show.

I am to land at 11:30 am Tue. March 16th. Do you think they will stop the planes from landing ?

whittler

It will all be over by then. All 10,000 of the reds will have begun the long walk home. Anyway, I think this government knows how to protect an airport, unlike the previous one, which just handed it over :)

Some people don't seem to realize that Thaksin is the LEGAL democratically elected head of the Thai government.

Some people don't seem to realize that before thy write things in a forum they should make sure they are correct or they will look like fools.