Major Figures Flee Thailand

webfact

Thaksin was thrown out of power by a military coup. However you try to obfuscate it, it is still a fact.

The last election held in Dec 2007 was won by PPP. The first PM got thrown out of power by the Constitutional Court due to appearing in a cooking show. Later the entire party was thrown out, also from a ruling by the same court. Without those rulings Abhisit would hardly be the PM today, and those rulings would hardly have had the same outcome without the yellow's blockade of the government and the airports.

A PM is democratically elected when he wins an election. Not when a court is throwing out the party in power, while the opposition is holding the entire country in hostage.

There you have your TRUTH for this weekend...

Thaksin was the Caretaker PM when the coup happened. While being the Caretaker PM he was supposed to organise new elections, but he failed for the 6 months that he was Caretaker PM.

The justification for the coup has never been about the failure to hold new elections. By the way, it was the opposition who prevented the new elections to take place.

Samak got dumped because the courts found he was working for a company while being PM. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samak_Sundaravej#Court_decision)

He got thrown out of power because he received money for appearing in a cooking show, not for appearing in it.

The PM is chosen by the elected MPs (usually along party lines), not by the people. After the PPP was banned and the PPP MPs moved to the smaller parties, the Democrats formed a coalition with the smaller parties, and the majority of elected MPs chose Abhisit as PM.

That doesn't change the fact that it was court rulings that made Abhisit the PM, and not elections.

In any case, the next election is scheduled for 2011. Thailand should let a third party (e.g the EU) monitor the election to determine whether it is free and fair or not, to avoid letting demonstrators or courts determine the outcome

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dear hobby judges. below is the 'legal' term, the law, that are you looking for. good look to keep practise with it.

Sippenhaft

Sippenhaft or Sippenhaftung (English: "kin liability" or "blood guilt") was a form of collective punishment practiced in Nazi Germany towards the end of the Second World War. It was a legal practice in which relatives of persons accused of crimes against the state were held to share the responsibility for those crimes, and were arrested and sometimes executed. Many people who had committed no crimes were arrested and punished under Sippenhaft laws introduced after the failed July 20 plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler in July 1944. A law of February 1945 also threatened death to the relatives of military commanders who showed what Hitler regarded as cowardice or defeatism in the face of the enemy.

It should be noted that other totalitarian regimes have used similar practices, even if they have not codified them in law. During Joseph Stalin's Great Purge of the 1930s many thousands of people were arrested and executed or sent to labour camps as "relatives of the enemies of the people"—including relatives of people, who unlike the demonstrated attempt on Hitler's life, were criminalized merely by Stalin's paranoia. ...

dear hobby judges. below is the 'legal' term, the law, that are you looking for. good look to keep practise with it.

Sippenhaft

Sippenhaft or Sippenhaftung (English: "kin liability" or "blood guilt") was a form of collective punishment practiced in Nazi Germany towards the end of the Second World War. It was a legal practice in which relatives of persons accused of crimes against the state were held to share the responsibility for those crimes, and were arrested and sometimes executed. Many people who had committed no crimes were arrested and punished under Sippenhaft laws introduced after the failed July 20 plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler in July 1944. A law of February 1945 also threatened death to the relatives of military commanders who showed what Hitler regarded as cowardice or defeatism in the face of the enemy.

It should be noted that other totalitarian regimes have used similar practices, even if they have not codified them in law. During Joseph Stalin's Great Purge of the 1930s many thousands of people were arrested and executed or sent to labour camps as "relatives of the enemies of the people"—including relatives of people, who unlike the demonstrated attempt on Hitler's life, were criminalized merely by Stalin's paranoia. ...

How many times will you continue to repost this over and over again?

Can anyone tell me where to get one of those coffee drinking emotocons :)

Theres a duplicate thread about this issue started yesterday and this one's doomed to head in the same way....name calling and hate mongering

Actually just about every issue you can think of about the upcoming fracca has about 3 or 4 subthreads on more or less the same issues.

Still, theres no shortage of reading fodder so i shouldnt complain :D

look for it in the emoticons, click "show all" and look down the list

:D:D:D:D

hehe...thanks, i always liked that one

will be sure to put it to good use :D

yes, emoticons are far superior to actually expressing yourself coherently.

To me this means one thing, that is violence is 100% sure.

They are not running from a sinking ship, they are avoiding the inevitable ARREST!

And it would happen because of the pending violence that is planned and seemingly a for sure thing. In that if there was no planned violence why run for cover?

The ISA act in place may make one nervous but not so much as to leave Thailand. The act only provides for those that are in the protest line not those that are watching it from their TV, the laws are NOT arbitrary in that the legal arms can not just arrest anyone they please. If so any Farang, Lao, Burmese, or Singaporean could be arrested just because they are.

The key figures may be questioned and detained, however why the son and daughter? They are related to but never publicly involved in the protest. But then if there is violence they would be an open target for arrest.

I may be 100% wrong I might be 50% wrong or even 1% wrong, but after 27 years in Thailand I think I may have at least 27% chance of reading between the lines if it be on TV, news print or just hearsay and being correct in my assumptions or opinions.

:)

how i grow tired of doom-saying fanboys gleefully rubbing their hands together at the prospect of impending violence. just think how much fun you will all have drinking beer in front of the computer as it all unfolds and slapping yourselves on the back because you do not lead an ordinary life - you are right in the thick of it.

I'm not sure how many on here know what the hel_l they are talking about. I'm married to an Issan woman, a nurse and certainly educated. I read all I can about the situation in Thailand and I'm a red, pro Thaksin. The government now in power is 100% NOT elected. The FACT is that if there were an election and Thaksin were allowed to stand he would win. Anyone want to argue that fact?

You might kick it off by presenting the facts for that they are not elected or that Thaksin would get the most votes.

Agreed - but unlikely :)

rgdz Brewsta

I'm not sure how many on here know what the hel_l they are talking about. I'm married to an Issan woman, a nurse and certainly educated. I read all I can about the situation in Thailand and I'm a red, pro Thaksin. The government now in power is 100% NOT elected. The FACT is that if there were an election and Thaksin were allowed to stand he would win. Anyone want to argue that fact?

You might kick it off by presenting the facts for that they are not elected or that Thaksin would get the most votes.

Agreed - but unlikely :)

rgdz Brewsta

That is; I am agreed on the presentation of facts thingy.....sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Brewsta

Sippenhaft

i just posted it in the other thread of similar Topic. "Thaksin family flight out of Thailand"

don't know if that is over and over again.

how often did you post and repeat that his entire family are cowards?

i am just helping you and others out to put your accusation in a juridical context. and recommended some legal terms, examples form other countries/systems you could use to substantiate your arguments and ramblings and make them sound more legit.

Sippenhaft

It would appear until someone starts believing it applies to todays situation.

It doesn't, but then again most of his posts don't either....

So you think not blatantly screaming:

" Abhisit, Anupong and Suthep are as bad as Adolf was!!!" gets you around Godwins law.

Invoke Hitler or Nazis and lose the argument automatically.

PS that goes for dropping Stalins name too.

Pretty lame PR work kiddo, never gonna get on the

corner room with a window with arguments like this one.

Edited by animatic

Sippenhaft

i just posted it in the other thread of similar Topic. "Thaksin family flight out of Thailand"

don't know if that is over and over again.

how often did you post and repeat that his entire family are cowards?

i am just helping you and others out to put your accusation in a juridical context. and recommended some legal terms, examples form other countries/systems you could use to substantiate your arguments and ramblings and make them sound more legit.

Miaow, indeed! Good point though :) Brewsta

Sure, I'll argue that "fact" - how you can predict the future and call it a fact, I don't know, but okay - first of all, he is convicted of a crime and has a jail sentence to serve. I don't think he's eligible to be PM. Ignoring that, his popularity is not what you think it is. PTP will lose big in Bangkok and even bigger in the south. This is a parliamentary style government - look it up - PTP would have to win over 50% of the seats to vote him in. His conviction, his kissy kissy relationship with HunSen and now making sure he and his family are nowhere around when the stuff hits the fan have sent a message about what kind of "man" he really is and who's best interests he has at heart. Not to mention his growingly questionable mental state. He's not the man he was 4 years ago and his popularity is nowhere where it was back then.

Sure, I'll argue that "fact" - how you can predict the future and call it a fact, I don't know, but okay - first of all, he is convicted of a crime and has a jail sentence to serve. I don't think he's eligible to be PM. Ignoring that, his popularity is not what you think it is. PTP will lose big in Bangkok and even bigger in the south. This is a parliamentary style government - look it up - PTP would have to win over 50% of the seats to vote him in. His conviction, his kissy kissy relationship with HunSen and now making sure he and his family are nowhere around when the stuff hits the fan have sent a message about what kind of "man" he really is and who's best interests he has at heart. Not to mention his growingly questionable mental state. He's not the man he was 4 years ago and his popularity is nowhere where it was back then.

Anyone who admits to being a Net fan has my respect. I also agree with you, but would add that 4 years ago he wasn't the man he was before he entered politics.

Anyone who admits to being a Net fan has my respect. I also agree with you, but would add that 4 years ago he wasn't the man he was before he entered politics.

Yeah, this may be slightly off topic, but it ain't easy these days :D

Back on topic, kind of - @ RobinH - I'm also a little confused :) because so many Red supporters are saying it isn't about Thaksin anymore, but here you are saying he should be the PM. So which is it?

Yeah, this may be slightly off topic, but it ain't easy these days :D

Back on topic, kind of - @ RobinH - I'm also a little confused :) because so many Red supporters are saying it isn't about Thaksin anymore, but here you are saying he should be the PM. So which is it?

Seein' it's Joisy, gotta ask; Which exit? :D

I really love what thailand does to recover from failing economy (sarcastic)

how low can you go ?

bang bang, another shot in the foot or nail in the coffin

the pride of asian ... the country to avoid for your hollidays

the pride of asian??? is yours racist remark? not that it mattered to the topic but you just delivered a sting a bunch of asian members in this forum.

They most likely believe the goverment will arrest them if something happens, or if it doesn't, makes sense. Strange I don't recall PAD's leaders being arretsed when they occupied Goverment house and the airport. But different justice for different groups, the achilles heel of this crackdown.

Remember, "Different government." :D

Let's also remember that the yellow shirts are educated. They made a legitimate use of force to remove a corrupt regime. They're liberators.

The red shirts are just country bumpkins, therefore their actions have no political legitimacy, and their votes don't count. They're terrorists.

Do try to keep up ..... it isn't that difficult you know.

:)

I tend to think both sides are well educated and experienced, I mean the leadership of red and yellow. It is the methods and tools they choose to use in achieving their goal that show the difference in style. Both sides have political legitimacy, if they work within the realm of law, and their votes count. I do agree they behave like terrorists sometimes. What happened in the past (coup being the 1st) and is happening is un-democratic.

Sippenhaft

It would appear until someone starts believing it applies to todays situation.

It doesn't, but then again most of his posts don't either....

So you think not blatantly screaming:

" Abhisit, Anupong and Suthep are as bad as Adolf was!!!" gets you around Godwins law.

Invoke Hitler or Nazis and lose the argument automatically.

PS that goes for dropping Stalins name too.

Pretty lame PR work kiddo, never gonna get on the

corner room with a window with arguments like this one.

no boi. i am not saying Abhisit, Anupong and Suthep are bad as Adolf. i was addressing the 'hobby judges'.

there is a certain mindset behind the people here screaming cockroaches, rats and other bright arguments when it comes to family members of a certain person. spreading nothing but hate. i think in that moment the argument is lost already.

there are also post that paint the entire red movement as sub-human.

unintended or not, some argue here in a way that is pretty close to a nazi attitude and godwins law don't give them an excuse to do so.

good luck with your style of PR work. guess i will be a sucess in collecting fan bois and building up a mob team of haters, so you are not alone. if that is bright and if you are right is another question.

Seein' it's Joisy, gotta ask; Which exit? :)

LOL - haven't been asked that in awhile. 14. or 15, depending.

What's going to be interesting with the holiday takers is, who's going to be taking the first plane out on monday? If it's a Red "success" - a repeat of April, charges will be looked into. If it's a dud, some people are going to lose face and want to lay low for a while.

All one has to do Mazeltov, is look at when those family members went out of the country before other major red rallies and when they didn't. Then look at which ones were violent. Correlation does not imply causation (their leaving didn't trigger the violence) but if there is a correlation that is repeated that would indicate a pattern of foreknowledge.

They most likely believe the goverment will arrest them if something happens, or if it doesn't, makes sense. Strange I don't recall PAD's leaders being arretsed when they occupied Goverment house and the airport. But different justice for different groups, the achilles heel of this crackdown.

Nail on head.

Is the logic here that because PAD leaders were not arrested for occupying government house and the airport, then Red leaders should be allowed to act with impunity this weekend?

Agree, when will some poeple realize this is not about "'either your red oir your yellow".

The reality is tht many people don't support the the red shirts and don't support the yellow shirts, but they do support a logical strategy which is realistic and will take Thailand forward.

Or, out it another way, let's please try to move forward.

I really love what thailand does to recover from failing economy (sarcastic)

how low can you go ?

bang bang, another shot in the foot or nail in the coffin

the pride of asian ... the country to avoid for your hollidays

the pride of asian??? is yours racist remark? not that it mattered to the topic but you just delivered a sting a bunch of asian members in this forum.

ASEAN? Asian?- anyway....... you're very welcome to vacation elsewhere :)

...there is a certain mindset behind the people here screaming cockroaches, rats and other bright arguments when it comes to family members of a certain person. spreading nothing but hate. i think in that moment the argument is lost already.

Oh for goodness sake. We're not calling these slimeballs "cockroaches" because they're Thaksin's family, we're calling them it because firstly they are up to their necks in his thieving from the Thai people and secondly because every time he makes the call for people to join his protest, and risk their personal safety, and possibly their lives, for him, they flee, sorry, fly, away as fast as they can. The man displays his true colours every time; getting his power back is worthy of risking the lives of a few poor, but not those of his family in crime. Let's not forget, we're not talking about children who have no idea of what's going on. If you really can't see the difference between punishing an innocent for crimes members of his/her family may have committed, and calling an accessory to thieving, swindling, and duping of the poor, spade a spade then you need to seek some help.

All one has to do Mazeltov, is look at when those family members went out of the country before other major red rallies and when they didn't. Then look at which ones were violent. Correlation does not imply causation (their leaving didn't trigger the violence) but if there is a correlation that is repeated that would indicate a pattern of foreknowledge.

no.

even if there are such patterns, it wouldn't be clear that there is a correlation. (e.g. number of pirates ↓ vs. global warming↑)

anyway, do you have insight knowledge on the travel habits of the shinawatra family? when and and how often the leave the country and what exatly happen then when they have been away and what all happen during their home stays?

i guess you don't know such details to spot your pattern. you just jump on them because of your bias, prejudice and their family names.

"sippenhaft" would give you a tool here to work with and you can call it all legit.

This is all so infantile, lets just grow up and use the proper ballot box and get rid of all the crooks and fraudsters, is that really so difficult to do or understand?? I cannot stand Thaksin as he is without any doubt for me now a complete selfish crook and just cashing in on the cause of the Reds Shirts. I am not personally against the basic ideas of the Red Shirts as I would like to see also a party of the people here for the Thai folk not one of the elite ruling class. BUT this is all settled at the polling booths with an election not by thuggery and supporting a crook getting back his rightfully confiscated fortune. Abhist is an honest man of that I am sure and he is doing a good job in the circumstances, so let him settle things down and call an honest election. Yes and as I have said often ask the UN to arrange for an independent outside monitoring body to check the elections are not fraudulently run anywhere in the country. Then we will have a government as elected by the people for the people and we should all accept that as the will of the people as we have to do so in the UK and the USA and other western democratic states (although in the UK it aint a very democratic system when 60 % vote against a party yet they still rule with a landslide government and the USA are not much better either on this score!!)

What we really do not want is such unrest basically all over the crook Thaxsin trying to get his obviously ill gotten corrupt gains back that he stole form the Thai people by blatant dishonesty and selfishness. Shame as the Red Shirts are losing so much face backing this nasty greedy corrupt Thaxsin. Ditch him and they will get far more support and can work towards fighting an honest election in the near future. This country as I see it does not need any more crooks like Thaxsin, he is only needed here to serve his jail term from the honest ruling of a very fair and honest trial.

:) --- congrats on not posting that bit of silliness yet again :D

Yes ... there were news reports about the Thaksin family kids leaving before events (and not before events that didn't have bloodshed.)

The fact that their names all showed up with Papa's cash in the most recent court rulings and that Pops was controlling the accounts certainly puts them all in the same boat and kills your theory about them being guilty merely from association.

Thaksin was thrown out of power by a military coup. However you try to obfuscate it, it is still a fact.

The last election held in Dec 2007 was won by PPP. The first PM got thrown out of power by the Constitutional Court due to appearing in a cooking show. Later the entire party was thrown out, also from a ruling by the same court. Without those rulings Abhisit would hardly be the PM today, and those rulings would hardly have had the same outcome without the yellow's blockade of the government and the airports.

A PM is democratically elected when he wins an election. Not when a court is throwing out the party in power, while the opposition is holding the entire country in hostage.

There you have your TRUTH for this weekend...

Thaksin was the Caretaker PM when the coup happened. While being the Caretaker PM he was supposed to organise new elections, but he failed for the 6 months that he was Caretaker PM.

The justification for the coup has never been about the failure to hold new elections. By the way, it was the opposition who prevented the new elections to take place.

Samak got dumped because the courts found he was working for a company while being PM. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samak_Sundaravej#Court_decision)

He got thrown out of power because he received money for appearing in a cooking show, not for appearing in it.

The PM is chosen by the elected MPs (usually along party lines), not by the people. After the PPP was banned and the PPP MPs moved to the smaller parties, the Democrats formed a coalition with the smaller parties, and the majority of elected MPs chose Abhisit as PM.

That doesn't change the fact that it was court rulings that made Abhisit the PM, and not elections.

In any case, the next election is scheduled for 2011. Thailand should let a third party (e.g the EU) monitor the election to determine whether it is free and fair or not, to avoid letting demonstrators or courts determine the outcome

Nice try to twist / spin the process into something wrong/nasty/manipulate dfor the specific scenario.

What you fail to mention (deliberately) is that a very large percentage of countries in the world (for good reasons) have laws/proceses to reassign the PM job holder / who makes up the government, in scenarios where number ratios suddenly fail.

But, typical of red shiort thinking, if the broad laws / processes are not in your facvor at a specific moment in time, then they are wrong!

I'd like to also comment on the rubbish which has been written many many times about samak (with respect for the dead).

The rationale underneath the written law is in fact quite simple. A person who accepts the job of PM should spend all of their actual time / their thinking, etc., on running the country. In other words they should not see the PM job as a part-time job.

Surely nobody (who has a brain) can ever argue with this as an appropriate law or regulation!

"Eccuse me Khun samak, we are being attacked by the Burmese"

"Can you ask them to wait another half a day, because I'm busy right now filming my show about how to cook rice!, I'm sure they will see that learning how to cook rice is a much higher priority for all Thais compared to national security, national development, etc."

:D --- congrats on not posting that bit of silliness yet again :D

Yes ... there were news reports about the Thaksin family kids leaving before events (and not before events that didn't have bloodshed.)

The fact that their names all showed up with Papa's cash in the most recent court rulings and that Pops was controlling the accounts certainly puts them all in the same boat and kills your theory about them being guilty merely from association.

I am sure they have left the country many times that has not been reported, maybe the violence that followed was not reported either :)

Clutching at straws and reaching desperation stage, coming up will sorts of conspiracies to try and prop up your flagging rhetoric, maybe a little obfuscation on your part :D