Bangkok Residents Plea For Peace

webfact

PLEA FOR PEACE

No-violence campaign

By Nisathip Peeratrakul,

Nathapat Promkaew

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Nang Lerng and Din Daeng residents still shudder at recalling the street violence of the last mass red-shirt rally and plead for no violence this weekend.

On April 13, extremist members of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) lit fires, set up road blocks and commandeered gas tanker trucks, disrupting the lives of a lot of people especially around the Nang Lerng community and the tenement estate in Din Daeng.

The result was two people got sacrificed, many people were wounded and everybody was scared because of the violence.

Thanoo Anakpatcharin, the 41-year-old leader of Supanimitra 1 in Nang Lerng, said recently that his neighbours always understand about the difference in philosophies but they would never be divided.

"Villagers around here realise about what will be happening soon but we don't get so serious. So we just prepare ourselves by keeping our gas cylinders back in the house," he said.

In the same way, Wachira "Dum" Lerdudommongkol, the leader of Supanimitra 2, showed that he was worried that the violence will be like last year.

"Most of the people around here feel so serious about this too. We're afraid about fires because most of the homes around here are made from wood. So all that we can do is just keep the gas off and watch out for each other.

"Finally, we implore the military to protect us and the press to present what happens right here on that day," Dum said.

"I warned again about CCTVs that we'd requested from Pom Prab district last year. I think it can make people feel more relieved," Dum said.

Some of the villagers felt unconcerned but the most of the shopkeepers were very worried about their business.

"You can congregate here but don't make trouble and please think about the public," they said.

Din Daeng was where a gas tanker was parked for protesting. Considering the risk of explosion, the residents had to protect themselves. Nowadays, what are they thinking about?

"I think no one feels good to have a gas tanker parked in front of his house. Us too! We understand if Thais show their ideas but they shouldn't make trouble for others," said Anusorn Prempree, a 30-year-old man.

"I'm really worried but didn't prepare anything. If violence breaks out, we'll cooperate to protect our area," a shopkeeper said.

On the other hand, Pol Diskhayun, a resident, was confident that things would be different this time around.

"I think the last time maybe made the DAAD realise that violence never gives the advantage to anyone. So I don't worry about this rally."

Finally, for the demonstration, the most people didn't express approval and didn't want to see violence because everyone will be in trouble especially business, traffic, safety, tourism and the country's image.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

IMPORTANT INFO FOR FOREIGNERS LIVING IN THAILAND

As an expat you are advised to follow the developing news for your security!

Follow the Breaking News updates via Thaivisa:

- Breaking News via SMS text messages to your mobile phone or

handheld device

To subscribe dial *424010011 on AIS, One-2-Call, DTAC or True Move networks

14 days complementary subscription for Thaivisa members.

If you have questions about the Breaking News SMS service, email

[email protected]

OR follow us:

- Via Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/farang

- Via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/georgebkk

They should DEMAND peace, its a complete joke that a minority be allowed to hold a country at ransom like this......and I'm not suggesting that such groups arnt entitled to protest peacefully....before all the civil liberterians of the site, start with their usual, "But its basic human rights rubbish". :)

Thai staff at my office are wearing white, signifying that they are not taking sides and are in favour of peace. They also told me that if you are driving at 6PM, if you favour peace, you should sound your horn for a minute following the playing of the national anthem.

They should DEMAND peace, its a complete joke that a minority be allowed to hold a country at ransom like this......and I'm not suggesting that such groups arnt entitled to protest peacefully....before all the civil liberterians of the site, start with their usual, "But its basic human rights rubbish". :)

Given the size of the military presence, I think that the demand has been made loud and clear. Be peaceful OR ELSE. What additional measures would you see implemented to bolster this demand?

Indeed we should all pray for peace. Have a look at this YouTube clip, featuring red shirt leader Arisman speaking at a rally. From around five to six minutes into the clip, he states:

พี่น้องนัดกันคราวหน้า ถ้ารู้ว่าเขาจะปราบปราม ไม่ต้องเตรียมอะไรมาก มาด้วยกัน ขวดแก้วคนละใบ มาเติมน้ำมันเอาข้างหน้าบรรจุให้ได้ 75 ซีซีคือหนึ่งลิตร ถ้าเรามาหนึ่งล้านคนในกรุงเทพมหานครมีน้ำมันหนึ่งล้านลิตร รับรองว่ากทมเป็น ทะเลเพลิงอย่างแน่นอน การสู้ของคนเสื้อแดงแบบง่ายๆอย่างนี้ บอกให้ทหารได้รับทราบ บอกให้ทหารสุนัขรับใช้อมาตย์ได้รู้ว่า ถ้าคุณทำร้ายคนเสื้อแดงแม้เลือดหยดแต่หยดเดียว นั่นหมายความว่ากรุงเทพฯ จะเป็นทะเลเพลิงทันที

"Fellow Thais, for the next time [we protest], if you know that we will crackdown, there is no need to prepare a lot. Just bring one bottle each. Then fill it with oil so it is filled to 75cc-1 litre. If there are one million of us in Bangkok, there will be one million litres. I guarantee you that Bangkok will be a sea of fire for sure. The way the red shirts will fight back/respond is simple like this. We need to tell the military, tell the military dogs who are serving the aristocrats so that know that if you injure the red shirts with just one drop of blood then Bangkok will be a sea of fire."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hNCH7UVeYU...feature=related

Indeed we should all pray for peace. Have a look at this YouTube clip, featuring red shirt leader Arisman speaking at a rally. From around five to six minutes into the clip, he states:

พี่น้องนัดกันคราวหน้า ถ้ารู้ว่าเขาจะปราบปราม ไม่ต้องเตรียมอะไรมาก มาด้วยกัน ขวดแก้วคนละใบ มาเติมน้ำมันเอาข้างหน้าบรรจุให้ได้ 75 ซีซีคือหนึ่งลิตร ถ้าเรามาหนึ่งล้านคนในกรุงเทพมหานครมีน้ำมันหนึ่งล้านลิตร รับรองว่ากทมเป็น ทะเลเพลิงอย่างแน่นอน การสู้ของคนเสื้อแดงแบบง่ายๆอย่างนี้ บอกให้ทหารได้รับทราบ บอกให้ทหารสุนัขรับใช้อมาตย์ได้รู้ว่า ถ้าคุณทำร้ายคนเสื้อแดงแม้เลือดหยดแต่หยดเดียว นั่นหมายความว่ากรุงเทพฯ จะเป็นทะเลเพลิงทันที

"Fellow Thais, for the next time [we protest], if you know that we will crackdown, there is no need to prepare a lot. Just bring one bottle each. Then fill it with oil so it is filled to 75cc-1 litre. If there are one million of us in Bangkok, there will be one million litres. I guarantee you that Bangkok will be a sea of fire for sure. The way the red shirts will fight back/respond is simple like this. We need to tell the military, tell the military dogs who are serving the aristocrats so that know that if you injure the red shirts with just one drop of blood then Bangkok will be a sea of fire."

This idiot Arisman should be in jail. He is the little Goebbels of Thaksin.

His latest demand, throw male excrements at Abhisit, female at Suthep and Katoey excrements at Prem!

What a disgusting person is this Arisman?

:)

Edited by moo9

This is incitment to create conflagration.

Turing Bangkok a sea of fire. This is INSANE talk!

If you have ever been severely burned, I have,

then you imagine the utter disgust a statement like this can bring.

The millions of lives he is putting at risk with statements like this.

There is NO FREE SPEECH rights involved in this, like yelling fire in a theater...

This man is dangerous, and even physically attacks his own PTP operatives, an old man too,

for asking for payment of election expenses, and it unapologetic that he did it on camera in a PTP office.

Arisman is out on bail fro the Pattaya incidents and is grossly in violation of his bail agreement.

Lock this knobs ass up now.

There is NO FREE SPEECH rights involved in this, like yelling fire in a theater...

This man is dangerous, and even physically attacks his own PTP operatives, an old man too,

for asking for payment of election expenses, and it unapologetic that he did it on camera in a PTP office.

Arisman is out on bail fro the Pattaya incidents and is grossly in violation of his bail agreement.

animatic........ for all it's worth, for as bitter and hateful of Thaksin as you are, can you for one moment understand why the up-country poor love him so much.

I ask this, and not for a response of verbal defense of your position, but just for once can you empathize, and see the point from their perspective. If so, can you maturely consider what is would be like to be on the red side of the fence.

I for one think Thaksin was corrupt. It was policy corruption at it's worst, but for me it was his sisters and wives family who had their breaches on and heads in the oats more than his direct family. That aside, I feel the average Thai was not done justice by the amataya driving Thaksin out, and not letting the electorate do so. At the same time Thailand has not had a clean government since the Constitutional Monarchy started, and still doesn't. Is it the eventual solution or should the masses be more honest with themselves and introduce a new form of government?

My maid just left the room after saying she wished she could go to Bangkok, but didn't have any red shits and new that "Nai" would not approve of her absence. We discussed her view.

Since you are the most prolific anti Thaksin poster, do you, or can you empathizes with common red supporting Thai's?

animatic........ for all it's worth, for as bitter and hateful of Thaksin as you are, can you for one moment understand why the up-country poor love him so much.

I ask this, and not for a response of verbal defense of your position, but just for once can you empathize, and see the point from their perspective. If so, can you maturely consider what is would be like to be on the red side of the fence.

I for one think Thaksin was corrupt. It was policy corruption at it's worst, but for me it was his sisters and wives family who had their breaches on and heads in the oats more than his direct family. That aside, I feel the average Thai was not done justice by the amataya driving Thaksin out, and not letting the electorate do so. At the same time Thailand has not had a clean government since the Constitutional Monarchy started, and still doesn't. Is it the eventual solution or should the masses be more honest with themselves and introduce a new form of government?

My maid just left the room after saying she wished she could go to Bangkok, but didn't have any red shits and new that "Nai" would not approve of her absence. We discussed her view.

Since you are the most prolific anti Thaksin poster, do you, or can you empathizes with common red supporting Thai's?

I said nothing about Thaksin.

I am not bitter about him, (ad hominum)

I think he is dangerous for Thailand ; simple as that.

Quit attempting to change the subject.

This is about Arisman and his threat to turn Bangkok into a Sea Of Fire.

Which has nothing to do with up country people being heard in a democratic society.

Oh and I don't have a maid, we do our own house work.

Even if I can easily afford a maid. I and the wife won't have one.

I have stated many times in many threads about my empathy for the upcountry poor

and their rights to a better life and getting freedom to succeed.

And I have seen and labled Thaksin and his whole political machine clique as one of the impediments

to the average family in Issan and all northern provinces to getting as true long lasting fairer shake in life.

PS dude, there wasn't a

'clean hand' before the constitutional monarchy if you use the same modernized standards of behavior,

as the benchmark. The roots of the old ways stayed through the stylistic methodology change.

Threatening to burn Bangkok to the ground doesn't improve the average Issan Somchai's lot one itoa.

It does set back the legitimate aims of the minority of redshirts who are actually for these root improvments.

In the end the redshirts are setting things backwards using this kind of tactic. They have been heard and

can't be silenced, but acts like this make it EASIER to marginalize the better parts of their messages.

Arisman = Kwarm lum barg

Edited by animatic

You are very reactive today and well, so much for an intelligent conversation. The maid happens to be a company maid, nuff said about your attempt at insulting me! Anyway, the thread is not about Arisman, for what it's worth he and Sondhi should be locked in a room together with no windows and the key thrown away. The thread is about peace being maintained in BKK.

Indeed we should all pray for peace. Have a look at this YouTube clip, featuring red shirt leader Arisman speaking at a rally. "We need to tell the military, tell the military dogs who are serving the aristocrats so that know that if you injure the red shirts with just one drop of blood then Bangkok will be a sea of fire."

I think he should set an example for all of his followers by the ultimate protest: pouring his bottle of petrol on himself and lighting a match.

It is not easy to empathize with the rural poor in their defense of Thaksin. It is easy to sympathize with them though. They have been duped. It is tragic and sad. They really do deserve a better shake in life. My wife and her family are among the rural poor. My wife understands the situation well, but most of her family and friends do not. Many of them even refuse to believe that Thaksin committed a single crime or engaged in any form of corruption. This, despite some of them taking his money for their vote. Any talk of this nature causes arguments between family and friends so they no longer discuss politics much, at least not when my wife is around.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

As opposed to directing the horse you have to turn left or right and change direction.

And my family comes from as far north as you can get and still be here, Chaing rai a long trip south,

and are generally considered lower in status (except to me) than most red shirts think of themselves.

Poor, the word, doesn't even come into the equation. So their complaints fall on less willing ears

knowing how THEY treat others they consider lower.... 67 million culture wars in Thailand,

and every one is elite... except those below you. Then they don't count for much.