Is There Such Thing As An Int'l Money Order

From TMB website:

Designed especially for customers looking for a more convenient way to transfer money, TMB is proud to offer TMB MoneyGram Service, which allows you to send or receive money to and from anywhere in the world, safely and securely. TMB MoneyGram is an extremely fast and efficient service, taking only 10 minutes to complete. This service is supported by a network of 36,000 locations in over 135 countries. In addition, TMB MoneyGram can be used by anyone with no need to be a TMB customer and you can send a message up to 10 words free along with the money.

I noticed that you are from NYC....Western Union is available at many places in Thailand, particularily Bank of Adudhaya. Similar to the moneygram service, but would be more familiar to your US creditor for sure.

I don't know about sending MOs from LOS to abroad - but I do know that receiving them here is a hussle.

I think the better way to send money - especially if it is bill payment - is by bank transfer. works much better than MOs , both ways. and costs much less than Western Union, while takes practically same time.

just open saving bank account and ask them how to send money.

The above options are all feasible, though the most costly (Western Union & bank transfers, that is)...I pay my monthly student loan bills back to the States by going to any bank and asking for them to do a bank draft in USD for the amount I need...they'll do this in most major currencies, and the fee is only about 100B per item. You get a check drawn on a US bank (in this case) which is easily deposited/cashed by the payee just as though you wrote it from a checking acct in your home country. Note that international bank transfers will often cost on the receiving end as well, so if you do go this route, you should check that out.

Most overseas banks have an online billpay service, which is what I use. Likewise, credit card payment of most bills is feasable if inquiry is made of the creditor.

I paid for a purchase in Xing, China by Western Union Moneygram, there were no less than 30 locations in that Chinese city, but it is expensive. Even with the 300Baht moneygram fee, the purchase, includng the shipping, was cheaper by far than buying a like product in Thailand.

i would like to pay with my bangkok bank visa (atm) card online, because my money is here, not in my US accounts... but they say the card doesn't go through. the expiration date is 3/15, which makes no sense and might be the problem. does anyone know if it is even possible to use this visa internationally?

i would like to pay with my bangkok bank visa (atm) card online, because my money is here, not in my US accounts... but they say the card doesn't go through. the expiration date is 3/15, which makes no sense and might be the problem. does anyone know if it is even possible to use this visa internationally?

No, they don't work for online purchases.

hmmmph so the visa logo basically means nothing? that was why i opened the bangkok bank account

The Visa logo does mean that you can use the card anywhere Visa is accepted in the world (in theory) rather than the older cards which only worked in Visa Electron-enabled machines. I was surprised that my Be 1st card worked on a recent trip to Macau (thankfully, since the restaurant tab was higher than expected and they didn't take AmEx!!) Still don't work online though, or anywhere else which just involves giving a card number (i.e. I couldn't use mine to pay a bill back in the States over the phone)...so in the meantime, I just drop a check in the mail. As long as you've got 2 weeks for mailing time, it's really the most hassle-free (and cost effective) way to go.

I have a Bangkok Bank credit card with a visa logo on it and it certainly is accepted internationally for credit card purchases. Obviously it can't be used as an ATM card. I have a SCB Electronic debit card that works for all purposes where there is an "electronic" capability, not all vendors have electronic connections and it certainly won't work internationally.

Is your card a credit card? An ATM card? Electronic Debit card? Perhaps a trip to your bank branch to inquire what type of card would accomodate your needs would get you further than having us guess what type card you have and why you are having limitations on its use!

i have the ATM card with a Visa logo attached to my savings account. I figured a Visa was a Visa, but I gave the number to my storage place in NY and they can not get it to go through.

I will look for an International Money Order.

Visa is not Visa, some cards are not for international online purchases.

But you can order, if rejected you call VISA and ask why (maybe better to call VISA in a different country)

i have the ATM card with a Visa logo attached to my savings account. I figured a Visa was a Visa, but I gave the number to my storage place in NY and they can not get it to go through.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, that card of yours may be a Visa DEBIT card :o

I don't know about sending MOs from LOS to abroad - but I do know that receiving them here is a hussle.

I think the better way to send money - especially if it is bill payment - is by bank transfer. works much better than MOs , both ways. and costs much less than Western Union, while takes practically same time.

just open saving bank account and ask them how to send money.

sure is, for some reason i cant understand Thai banks DO NOT LIKE international money orders ! I have sent them to LOS and they come back 4-6 weeks later unable to be cleared .

Visa debit cards issued by Thai banks are not like the Visa debit cards issued by U.S/U.K banks.

Here most of the banks issue Visa Electron cards which work in ATM's and Shops etc but they cannot be used for making online purchases as these cards do not have the three digit verification number on the reverse of the cards.