Phuket Road Trip Videos

phuketrex

And notice most of those are parked legally and the cops don't do anything. (IE get paid off to ignore it.) I did a loop, down Thawaweewong (beach road), up Sawadirak, down Ratithit, and stopped counting at around 200 empty tuk tuks either parked illegally or slowly cruising for fares honking their horns, blocking traffic and wasting fuel. I didn't count occupied tuk tuks, but their were very very few. This was in the evening when they should be busy. What a disgrace these these things are.

Not unlike cockroaches with unlimited food source, the extortionate prices which the tuk tuk transport monopoly has been allowed to charge by previous wholly corrupt Phuket administrators has caused this explosion of tuk tuks in the past 15 years. Left unregulated they multiply to unsustainable levels, which is where we are at now. Most tuk tuks are owned by just a few people and leased to the drivers. These few people are gotten extremely wealthy, along with the corrupt officials.

Why does a 20 minute ride in one of these hot noisy underpowered seatbeltless death traps cost 400 baht when yesterday I took an airconditioned Bangkok Taxi with seat belts for nearly an hour ride and it cost me 150 baht!! And can someone explain why a 20 km 30 minute (meterless) taxi ride to the airport is roughly the same price as a 850km 1.5 hour FLIGHT to Bangkok on a Boeing 737? Disgusting.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

• 2 weeks later...

Did you complete the first journey on a pogo stick or was the road really bumpy?

Thanks for taking the trouble to film then post your vid's but see if its not possible to obtain a tripod or mount that will eliminate bounce or camera shake.

Edited by nam-thip