Dogs Are Funny

IanForbes

There is a dog that sleeps outside its master's gate near where I live in Chiang Mai. I must have walked past him 50 times or more and he never does anything but roll one eye and sometimes wag his tail when I speak to him. As I walked past him today he was sleeping in his usual spot, but then something unusual happened... his master came home just after I passed. Moments later I heard something running up behind me... barking. I turned around to see my old friend standing there barking at me. There had to be only one reason... he was showing his master that he WAS guarding the place... and not just sleeping on the job. I took a few photos to tell the story...

My usual view of him, except another barking dog woke him up.

The_dog_2.sized.jpg

Then I took his photo when he was barking at me...

The_dog_1.sized.jpg

There! I think I've scared him enough, boss.

The_dog_4.sized.jpg

There, now I can go back to sleeping in front of the gate.

The_dog_3.sized.jpg

We used to own a German Pointer who was great hunting dog and a good family pet. He was allowed to roam the house. He had a very comfortable bed in the kitchen where most of the family action used to take place. However, when the family was out, "Trigger" would sometimes sleep on the sofa by the front window... which he WASN'T supposed to do. When we came home and he greeted us by the front door we always knew he had been sleeping on his own bed. But, if he was laying in his kitchen bed when we came in the front door we always knew he had been sleeping on the sofa. All we needed to confirm that was feeling the warm spot on the sofa. :)

I also had a Bavarian Pudelpointer named "Dunkirk". Dunkirk was a great dog, but sometimes he felt we should pay more attention to him than we did. He would intentionally go and sleep in my flower bed just before I came home from work as his way of telling me off for ignoring him all day. He figured negative attention was better than no attention at all. Children do exactly the same thing.

Cute, his legs are a bit short. :D

Totally insensitive and unpolitically correct. He's not short, they prefer to be called "inbred retard midget dogs".

:)

He is cute and his legs are short!

He reminds me of Pheem, the dog at my g/f's house (who is also an inbred retard midget) who rules over the other dogs in the street, when they bark at the continual night-time threat of 'whatever the <deleted>*k all the dogs in Thailand find to bark at all <deleted>*king night!' (I pictured in my mind a kind of 'dog telegraph' originating across the river in Laos and being 'passed on' throughout the kingdom as the barking started a ways off and got louder then quieter as the 'message' was passed down the line!)

He will awaken enough to add a low moan or a half arsed bark that basically says 'yeah thass right boys, you tell 'em'

then goes back to sleep. He guards the tractor, well he sleeps in it so they have to take him with them in the morning!

We went out in it to a bbq restaurant and left him behind one night, he wouldn't 'talk' to anyone for three days and had what we call in London 'the raging hump' with everyone for leaving him behind!

Me thinks Basset Hound got into the mix a few matings in the past.. A Beagle has longer legs and body type different. Most street mixes are from a western type "falong" dog breed and a Thai dog mix of sorts.. Basset hounds are big barkers and non-doers for sure while a true Thai dog is and can be feared by many. it all depends on a owner. and why do they even own a dog.?

Me thinks Basset Hound got into the mix a few matings in the past.. A Beagle has longer legs and body type different. Most street mixes are from a western type "falong" dog breed and a Thai dog mix of sorts.. Basset hounds are big barkers and non-doers for sure while a true Thai dog is and can be feared by many. it all depends on a owner. and why do they even own a dog.?

As a dog judge I would say he had a corgi and border collie in his background somewhere. Both these dogs are of course herders so use their voices quite a bit in the persuance of their duties. Lovely condition he is in, but I would think he would be of more using as a guard INSIDE the gates as male dogs can be distracted easily!

As a dog judge I would say he had a corgi and border collie in his background somewhere. Both these dogs are of course herders so use their voices quite a bit in the persuance of their duties. Lovely condition he is in, but I would think he would be of more using as a guard INSIDE the gates as male dogs can be distracted easily!

I also thought a bit of Corgi in there. I do kind of like him though and he's totally harmless. The yappy little guy behind the fence is all mouth and bluff, though. He runs for cover when the gate is opened. :)

I'm familiar with all the dogs in the immediate neighbourhood, and only one is nasty out of about 100 dogs around here. Their yodeling at night used to bother me, but maybe I'm becoming Thai and ignore them now. Or, maybe it's because I'm growing deafer than I already am. :D

Nah, the dog with no legs has been in Thailand as long as I have (forever!). I recall seeing these normal sized body dogs with teeny midget legs on Koh Phangan 20 years ago when there was no chance at all of even the whiff of a corgi or basset hound gene being anywhere within 100 miles. Its just a dog characteristic.

When I was a kid we had a lovely dog, Queenie, when she was young she'd been hit by a car, not badly injured but whenever we had guests, she'd walk around outside shivering and limping. "Oh your dog is injured, bring her inside" we would always hear. No, just clever enough to milk the sympathy from strangers :)

Nah, the dog with no legs has been in Thailand as long as I have (forever!). I recall seeing these normal sized body dogs with teeny midget legs on Koh Phangan 20 years ago when there was no chance at all of even the whiff of a corgi or basset hound gene being anywhere within 100 miles. Its just a dog characteristic.

When I was a kid we had a lovely dog, Queenie, when she was young she'd been hit by a car, not badly injured but whenever we had guests, she'd walk around outside shivering and limping. "Oh your dog is injured, bring her inside" we would always hear. No, just clever enough to milk the sympathy from strangers :)

:D:D:D

That is SO true. I have a friend whose dog used to do exactly the same thing. It was hilarious to watch, and it always suckered in the guests.

I also have a friend who is a vet and he has hundreds of similar tales. I'll bet that Nienke from this forum would have similar stories if you sat down for a chat with her.